Sign in with
Your question

New build advice

Last response: in Systems
July 18, 2011 12:41:41 PM

Hi i am currently getting together components i would like to put in my pc. My knowledge of these things is somewhat lacking but i have a rough idea. Im mainly intersted in gaming playing the most demanding games and pushing the graphics and performance to their peak. Here are some examples. Crysis 1 & 2, Battlefield 3 Civ and games like total war.

Here is where i stand
Can anyone tell me what i need or dont need from what i have so far? My price range is around $4500 give or take. (NZ Dollar)

Intel System

Specification

Processor. Core i5 2500k 3.3GHz
Motherboard. Gigabyte GA-P67X-UD3-B3
RAM. A-Data 8GB DDR3 1333MHz 2x4 for DC
Hard Drive. 1TB Western Digital Black Edition SATA-3 64MB 7200rpm
Video card. Sapphire 4GB ATI Radeon HD6990
Case. Coolermaster Storm Scout Mid Tower
Power Supply. ADATA 750 Watt ATX2
Onboard Hi-Definition Audio
Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
Interact Surge Guard
After Market coolers. Thermalright Ultra -120

Will this stand up to the big titles around the corner?

More about : build advice

July 18, 2011 1:02:53 PM

I would grab a quality PSU from Antec (HCG series), Corsair, Seasonic or XFX instead.
850W preferably as you intend to overclock i'm sure with that CPU cooler.

You should make sure the ram is 1.5V for other specs CAS9 1600mhz generally works good. Small difference in price and performance.
But the 1.5V is a must. And make sure the TRUE fits with the RAM on the board. So low profile heatsinks on the ram are recommended.

That HD6990 is noisy beyond belief when it's being heavily loaded.
If you want a 2 GPU card, GTX590 is a better option according to sound profile, while not as powerful it is still powerful enough to run your games. Especially if you only have a single FullHD(1920x1080) display. CIV also benefits from an NVidia card.

Generally though, a Crossfire/SLI solution would be cheaper to put together than the 2 GPU single cards. But they do have some benefits.
So it's a juggling act.

You probably also want a DVD+/-RW drive for OS installation.

July 18, 2011 2:32:11 PM

Thanks for the reply rvilkman. Ill be sure to purchase a more quality PSU as i do intend to overclock.

as of yet im not sure if i will be running on 1 or more displays or just a singleFullHD(1920x1080) from my knowledge the 6990 is more suited to multi screen gaming and such. but its really a tossup over that and sli/crossfire which seems to be the best price for performance option
and yes i will have a DVD+/-RW drive.

but as it stands would you say this a capable machine of running these new games. Am i missing anything?
!