Onboard Graphics and discrete graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iamconfused

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
I am thinking of buying h67 board. If i buy a discrete graphics card later, is it possible to switch between them (in boot menu or in windows) - i would like to do so to save energy, i think. :)

Also, i have Samsung B2230. Is intel's 3000hd enough for me for watching 1080p movies and little gaming?

Solution
It's not possible to switch, you would have to physically remove the card, and even if it was, the card would draw power when plugged into the slot. I think the 3000 only comes on k series processors, which I would not recommend on an h67. The igp can run 1080p, but gaming is not likely except on very low settings and resolutions.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
It's not possible to switch, you would have to physically remove the card, and even if it was, the card would draw power when plugged into the slot. I think the 3000 only comes on k series processors, which I would not recommend on an h67. The igp can run 1080p, but gaming is not likely except on very low settings and resolutions.

Solution

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Well, Nvidia's optimus actually does turn off the power to the card when not in use, but that is only for laptops and I don't even know if it is released yet. Other than that, the 3000 will run 1080p video, and possible some light 3d casual games, but don't hope for too much. It will not run many new action games simply because even at their minimum settings the 3000 cannot provide enough power. If you bought a medium-grade discrete card, though, you could max the majority of games out there without a problem. For a little over $200, you could get a Radeon 6950. Or, for around $150 I believe, a Radeon 6850. There are definitely games that neither of those cards could max, but they will at least play any game out today.

Iamconfused

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

Thanks for the information.

I did not know that the latest igp 3000hd only comes on k series processors. This is such a waste from intel :ange: . Because, anyone who love OC will not use an onboard graphics(also availabe mobo will not allow him). Intel should put it on non k processors so that lame user can have better graphics for lesser money. -- Correct me if i am wrong.

Why they are not releasing an unlocked SB without IGP? That would be good for our pocket too...

Yeah, putting the better IGP only on the chips that can overclock then making the boards that can use the IGP unable to overclock and the ones that can overclock unable to use the IGP makes no sense whatsoever.

Iamconfused

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

Thanks.

I am thinking of changing my mind. I will buy a p67 board with a midrange GPU. I can not deny that I love games and i will play a lot of games on my new pc :D .

How about gtx560ti. They say it is cooler, less power hungry - specially MSI 560 Ti Hawk OCed to 950 MHz, can beat hd5950 in many games.

Iamconfused

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

That's right.

May be they make them for z68.

Status
Not open for further replies.