Capacitor Blown

not it

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Hi I have a Nvidia GeForce 8600GT and me and my brother have the same exact one. A few weeks ago mine broke because of overheating, so I trashed it and bought a new one that was worse than the Nvidia. My brother said that I could use his because he is not into gaming anymore so he would not use it as much. I bought a fan and a new hard drive after it broke to prevent over heating and add some space. Well this morning I was playing World of Warcraft which the card can run fine with no lag and I heard a very loud popping noise. So I quit WoW and opened up my computer and found that one of the capacitors broke like my video card so I checked the temperature and it was at 39 degrees Celsius which isnt hot at all compared to my last one. I read a bunch of threads on this and it seems that people have the similar issue. I can play and work everything fine with no problems and WoW is still running fine. Should I stop using it? Buy a new one? or should I even be concerned with it I dont know much about Graphics Cards and just dont want to ruin my computer or graphics card just need to know what I should do.

This isnt my personal graphics card but it is the exact same one with blown capacitors just to give you an image.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7360/dsci3622.jpg

Solution
It probably has reached it's life spane.One of the main reasons electronics overheat is due to dust.If you don't clean it regularly lots of dust will build up and reduce the effecticeness of the fan,thus leading to overheating.The 8600GT is a very old card and I wouldn't waste anymore money on that old techonology.I wouldn't continue using it.
Thats like all of the capacitors too I would just trash it.

Get a new card.
It probably has reached it's life spane.One of the main reasons electronics overheat is due to dust.If you don't clean it regularly lots of dust will build up and reduce the effecticeness of the fan,thus leading to overheating.The 8600GT is a very old card and I wouldn't waste anymore money on that old techonology.I wouldn't continue using it.
Thats like all of the capacitors too I would just trash it.

Get a new card.

Solution

not it

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Thanks, sucks that I have to trash it but at least I know now.
But I would also like to know if someone could recommend a good graphics card that isnt to pricey so that I can play World of Warcraft with that same speed as I do now. I guess I would put my price range at about $100-$150 thanks.

You can check your procesor and RAM by right clicking on "My Computer" and selecting properties.In there it sohuld list your CPU and RAM.Post back what speed and what kind your processor is along with how much RAM you have.

To check your power supply take off the side panel and look at the label on the back of your power supply.Post back what that says.Mainly how many amps are avaible on the +12/v rails.Also the wattage of the power supply.

If the power supply unit generates high ripple on its DC output rails it will cause capacitors to overheat/self-destruct.

The only way to determine what power supply you have in your system is to open up the case and read the label that is affixed to the side of the power supply unit.

not it

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz 2.79 GHz
Memory (RAM): 2046MB
and for the power supply do I list the input or output(sorry for so many questions dont know to much about computers)

praondevou

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
If you have some electronics knowledge, you could just replace the capacitor(s) that blew. Even if the card is still working, the capacitor should be replaced, because it certainly lost its function.

I know this wasn't your question , but if it was me, I would buy the electrolytic capacitor and replace it, this costs much less than a new card. If you need any assistance, just ask.

regards

I was going to suggest that graphics card also.Good choice.
I would have suggested the newer version 6770 but they are scarace because they just released.

Go ahead with the 5770 and you won't be disapointed.Your PSU should be able to handle it but it is also aging rather quickly.Wouldn't be a bad idea to spend $30 on a new Power supply just in case.

not it

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Well thanks for all the help its greatly appreciated really helped me out alot gunna go order that one now and my dad already has that exact power supply thing that hes not using so i should be good thanks again for all the help