Vista Not recognising my second GPU??

Joe186

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Hey everyone!

I recently purchased a Alienware m9700i(i know its fairly old)and was planning to use it for mobile gaming. I purchased it from ebay so it is second hand. The laptop came and i booted it up. It had Windows Vista. I looked on it and it said all the specs and said that SLI was on which was awsome. However! I didnt want to stay with windows vista so for that reason i install windows 7 64bit and wanted to work from there. I installed all the drivers for Intel chipset, graphics drivers etc etc
Then, when i went into control panel i realised that there was no enable sli option anywhere!
So i decided to check device manager, and it seems that only 1 graphics card has been recognised. So i thought i should go back to windows vista, so i installed windows vista and went back to how it was before, and funnily enough now windows vista isnt recognising my second gpu. There is no recognition at all that SLI is even there.
Can any light be shined on the situation here? I really want to boost up my frames in crysis.

P.S: It seems that when i play crysis on High my gpu hits around 93 degrees and starts to lag. Is this because its meant to be in SLI or what? I thought that i might buy a cooling pad for that anyway.

Thanks for reading!

Joe186

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I have got all the latest drivers and updated with everything :/ And there is no sli option in the nvidia control panel(it doesnt even seem to realise there is a second gpu there at all?

Joe186

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Doesnt look like there are any errors in the device manager, just 1 gpu. However what do you mean by checking in the bios?

Joe186

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Oh yeh i forgot to say that i went back to vista 32 bit :/ Btw when you say bios do you mean when i boot up. Because i checked in there and it says nothing about my gpus?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Understood on both. Yes, when you first boot up (usually press the F2 or DEL key to access). Somewhere there should be an area that tells you the basic system configuration or an area that has peripheral details.

Still, are you 100% sure the system has 2 GPUs? If not, SLI can't be enabled. Also, if your GPU is hitting 93C, that is getting pretty hot (water boils at 100C). Since this is a used system, the fans may be dirty and not cooling efficiently. Try a blast of compressed air into the intake and exhaust ports to clean the pipes (so to speak).

Joe186

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Thanks for all the Help man :) But yeh im positivily sure that my config had 2 gpus when i got it. It definatly said SLI enabled. But now installing over it has lost the ability of enabling it again. I would be suprised if one of my cards died while installing windows 7 and windows vista because ive only had it for a couple of days now. And with the overheating thing, yeh i need to clean out the inside :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut

The specs for the M9700 list either a 256MB or 512MB 7900 GS mobile GPU. What does yours have?

Joe186

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Yep, i have an intel core 2 duo. Im downloading the first one that is on the list right now. Lets pray :p

Joe186

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Ahhhh, still not worked! Damn, my hopes are getting low here now :(( I dont know whats up with it, because the other day it was all fine but as soon as i installed windows 7 bam 1 of my gpus dissapeared! Now back to vista and still no luck :// What else can i try??

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Going back to Vista and installing the SLI enabled drivers should have done the trick if both GPUs are operational. I think you need to dig through the BIOS to verify the second GPUs presence. Also, another way to check would be to load a Live Version of Ubuntu (or any modern Linux distro) to see what it detects.