looking for GBA (not sp) afterburner alternative

Hi everyone,

I have a GBA that I would like to find a lighting solution for. I used
to have a GBA with an afterburner, but unfortunately it was stolen. I
would buy another afterburner kit, but triton labs I believe stopped
making them. Are there any alternative lighting solutions comparable
with the afterburner?

A couple of things I should mention. Many people have advised me to
buy the GBA SP. The frontlight on the SP is better than the
afterburner in my opinion, but the ergonomics of the system is what
prevents me from getting it. My hands cramp up to much playing it
because it is too small for me. The original GBA on the other hand
feels just right, but, unfortunately has no frontlight.

Also, I do not want an extremely bulky light attached to my GBA. I
have a floodlight, and it lights up the screen pretty well. The
problem is, the added weight, again, causes my hands to cramp up.

I might be out of luck finding a lightweight frontlight for my GBA, but
I figured I might try the NG's and see if anyone had any suggestions.
If anyone has an afterburner kit for sale, or knows where I might be
able to find one, that would be ideal.

Ollie

"Ollie" <olliesax@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a GBA that I would like to find a lighting solution for. I used
> to have a GBA with an afterburner, but unfortunately it was stolen. I
> would buy another afterburner kit, but triton labs I believe stopped
> making them. Are there any alternative lighting solutions comparable
> with the afterburner?
>
> A couple of things I should mention. Many people have advised me to
> buy the GBA SP. The frontlight on the SP is better than the
> afterburner in my opinion, but the ergonomics of the system is what
> prevents me from getting it. My hands cramp up to much playing it
> because it is too small for me. The original GBA on the other hand
> feels just right, but, unfortunately has no frontlight.
>
> Also, I do not want an extremely bulky light attached to my GBA. I
> have a floodlight, and it lights up the screen pretty well. The
> problem is, the added weight, again, causes my hands to cramp up.
>
> I might be out of luck finding a lightweight frontlight for my GBA, but
> I figured I might try the NG's and see if anyone had any suggestions.
> If anyone has an afterburner kit for sale, or knows where I might be
> able to find one, that would be ideal.
>
> Ollie

I guess your best bet might be a GBA already fitted with the afterburner on
ebay....

good luck :)

"Ollie" <olliesax@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a GBA that I would like to find a lighting solution for. I used
> to have a GBA with an afterburner, but unfortunately it was stolen. I
> would buy another afterburner kit, but triton labs I believe stopped
> making them. Are there any alternative lighting solutions comparable
> with the afterburner?

The Halo Light is just about as good but it does mount outside the case.
Cheap, fast, easy.

Hi,

the only "alternative" is HALO-LIGHT (StickOn Light). It´s cheaper than
afterburner and has "nearly" the same result. Some other people will say
"no", but it´s even better than a external worm-light or led-light.

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / with best regards

Rainer Benda
Computer & Zubehoerversand
Web-Shop: http://www.flashlinker-shop.de
Forum : http://www.rbenda.de/wbb2

"Ollie" <olliesax@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a GBA that I would like to find a lighting solution for. I used
> to have a GBA with an afterburner, but unfortunately it was stolen. I
> would buy another afterburner kit, but triton labs I believe stopped
> making them. Are there any alternative lighting solutions comparable
> with the afterburner?
>
> A couple of things I should mention. Many people have advised me to
> buy the GBA SP. The frontlight on the SP is better than the
> afterburner in my opinion, but the ergonomics of the system is what
> prevents me from getting it. My hands cramp up to much playing it
> because it is too small for me. The original GBA on the other hand
> feels just right, but, unfortunately has no frontlight.
>
> Also, I do not want an extremely bulky light attached to my GBA. I
> have a floodlight, and it lights up the screen pretty well. The
> problem is, the added weight, again, causes my hands to cramp up.
>
> I might be out of luck finding a lightweight frontlight for my GBA, but
> I figured I might try the NG's and see if anyone had any suggestions.
> If anyone has an afterburner kit for sale, or knows where I might be
> able to find one, that would be ideal.
>
> Ollie

Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided to go with the halo light.
I bought one off of ebay. One thing I was confused about is that
apparently there are different versions of the light out there. The
one I bought on ebay supposedly is the latest version (version 3).
Higher version number doesn't always mean better product though. I'll
just have to wait and see how it performs when it's delivered.

Ollie

Actual you have two actual versions...one is called "Halo Light upgrade
version"
and now (again) "StickOn Light" from Gametech.

Same product, same features.

--

> Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided to go with the halo light.
> I bought one off of ebay. One thing I was confused about is that
> apparently there are different versions of the light out there. The
> one I bought on ebay supposedly is the latest version (version 3).
> Higher version number doesn't always mean better product though. I'll
> just have to wait and see how it performs when it's delivered.
>
> Ollie

I recently picked up two of the GBA's and found aftewr some searching
that the Trion labs was a flyby night type company. They dismantles all
the forums and information that would be of any use to build a new light
from parts. With that in mind I have been looking into building a
internal light system on my own. I came up with a couple of ideas, Now
all I need is a way to mount a Cold floresent light tube to a small
piece of glass that is cut right, also I have to open up the gba(one the
tool arrives) to see what voltages I have to work with. If anyone has
any ideas or suggestions or any information on the original afterburner,
feel free to email me with the subject GBA internal lighting.

-Blood-stone

blood-stone wrote:
> I recently picked up two of the GBA's and found aftewr some searching
> that the Trion labs was a flyby night type company. They dismantles all
> the forums and information that would be of any use to build a new light
> from parts.

Fly by night? Not hardly. They were a good company that provided a
good product until it simply wasn't necessary anymore. They designed
the Afterburner from scratch, so there is no reason they should give you
the information for free.

Shadow_Zero

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Actual you have two actual versions...one is called "Halo Light upgrade
version"
and now (again) "StickOn Light" from Gametech.

Same product, same features.

Are there truly only 2 versions?
Cause I have the idea I've seen 3 or 4 now. A Japanese version (Gametech I assume), an upgrade version, an Innovation version and an upgrade version from which I don't know the manufacturer.
Some links:

Innovation version:
http://www.playerschoicegames.com/halolightgba.html
http://gameboy.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r21400.htm (why the hell does this one have "Ninja" on it?)
http://www.viewonline.com/pages/articles/innovationhalo.htm

Gametech version:
http://www.superufo.com/product_html/GameBoy_Advance_GBA_Stick_on_Light__Halo_.html

Gametech upgrade version:
http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/gba/halolight.htm

English package upgrade version (Ninja??): (or is this the same as the Goldenshop version?)
http://www.link-to-us.com/linker.asp?productID=134

So I'm kinda confused about what version there are and which is the best to get?
The Innovation version seems a lot scarcer (and more expensive) than the Japanese/Hong Kong version.
Anyone can help me out? :)