What graphics card should I buy?

G

In my last thread i asked around about which processor i should get, and I've decided on AMD Phenom II x4 965 or 970. I know there are better ones out there, but it seems right for my needs so i was wondering what graphics card would pair well with one of those processors? I was thinking an ATI 5870, and although it has a good reputation i feel like it is a little outdated. It may not be and i might just be over thinking all of it but if you have any better advice please give, also I am looking in the 150 to 250 range (flexible) so thanks for any advice guys. :lol:

G

Also, i will be looking to purchase this somewhere towards the end of summer (No time soon), and i would like to play pretty graphic intensive games such as Battlefield 3 coming out later this year

Stoutbeard

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
If you're building toward the end of summer, parts/prices/everything will change dramatically at that time. I actually had that exact build in 2010. AMD 965 with Sapphire 5870. Great combo, however: I had a huuuuuuuuuge problem with my 5870. I had to RMA it 4 (yes you heard correct, four) times! The 5870's were known for having a crashing problem and I had that problem on 4 different 5870's. The company finally stepped me up to a 6950 2GB edition GPU after about 2 months of arguing back and forth. Not only have I had no problems with the 6950, I even got a second one to crossfire my rig, and it's amazing.

Anyway, I would highly recommend you stick with the 6th gen GPU's even when you buy at the end of summer because of better tessellation, less stability issues, better performance/cooling, etc. Also, keep in mind, Bulldozer processors are suppose to be coming out next month, so by the time you build, Phenom II's will probably be on their way out.

G

Okay, because i feel like these were getting kinda old so I was a little worried.

I guess i will just save up as much as i can and see whats out then :wahoo:

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
You probobly wont be able to find 5870's on the shelves three months from now, anyway. I have 2 5870s and i love them, no problems at all. The 5870 is a very powerful card and is available at pretty darn good prices because AMD is running through the existing stock. It competes with the 6000 series a little too well so it is not long for this world.