What graphics card should I buy?

In my last thread i asked around about which processor i should get, and I've decided on AMD Phenom II x4 965 or 970. I know there are better ones out there, but it seems right for my needs so i was wondering what graphics card would pair well with one of those processors? I was thinking an ATI 5870, and although it has a good reputation i feel like it is a little outdated. It may not be and i might just be over thinking all of it but if you have any better advice please give, also I am looking in the 150 to 250 range (flexible) so thanks for any advice guys. :lol:
5 answers Last reply
More about what graphics card
  1. Also, i will be looking to purchase this somewhere towards the end of summer (No time soon), and i would like to play pretty graphic intensive games such as Battlefield 3 coming out later this year
  2. What opsys/ what games do you play/ what resolution and size of monitor ?
  3. If you're building toward the end of summer, parts/prices/everything will change dramatically at that time. I actually had that exact build in 2010. AMD 965 with Sapphire 5870. Great combo, however: I had a huuuuuuuuuge problem with my 5870. I had to RMA it 4 (yes you heard correct, four) times! The 5870's were known for having a crashing problem and I had that problem on 4 different 5870's. The company finally stepped me up to a 6950 2GB edition GPU after about 2 months of arguing back and forth. Not only have I had no problems with the 6950, I even got a second one to crossfire my rig, and it's amazing.

Anyway, I would highly recommend you stick with the 6th gen GPU's even when you buy at the end of summer because of better tessellation, less stability issues, better performance/cooling, etc. Also, keep in mind, Bulldozer processors are suppose to be coming out next month, so by the time you build, Phenom II's will probably be on their way out.
  4. Okay, because i feel like these were getting kinda old so I was a little worried.

I guess i will just save up as much as i can and see whats out then :wahoo:
  5. You probobly wont be able to find 5870's on the shelves three months from now, anyway. I have 2 5870s and i love them, no problems at all. The 5870 is a very powerful card and is available at pretty darn good prices because AMD is running through the existing stock. It competes with the 6000 series a little too well so it is not long for this world.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics Cards Processors Graphics Product