Adding Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

daphillenium

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
I wanted to add RAM in the future as I'm working on slowly upgrading my best buy bought PC(wishing I would have built my own!)

Here's what I have.

HP Pavillion P6210y Windows 7 with A micro ATX mobo

AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6 Ghz

6GB RAM Here's the specs on that via HP

"Dual channel memory architecture
Four DDR2 SO-DIMM (240-pin) sockets
Supported DIMM types:
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 4GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports up to 16 GB on 64-bit PCs
Supports up to 4 GB* on 32-bit PCs
32 bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory."

It looks like when I opened it up it's got 4 slots available with three slots filled. Must be 2gb each I assume.
Here's my question....

Can I buy a 4gb DDR2 Stick and plug it in for a total of 10gb?

I've looked in the other forums for similar questions and couldn't find an answer.

Most of the setups I've seen have been 4gb or 8gb or 16 gb. It doesn't seem like you see 6, 10, or 12 often.

Thanks.

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Personally I wouldn't bother adding more RAM it will do you nearly no good. In most cases it's not a great idea to add asymmetric capacities to a Dual Channel MOBO. In other words keep the Channels equal so Dual Channel can be Enabled.

Choices:
1. Keep it as-is ; my advice
2. Add 2GB that matches the: Frequency, CAS Timings and Voltage to the other 3x2GB i.e. a Xerox clone is best
2. Add 2x4GB kit that matches the: Frequency, CAS Timings and Voltage to the other 3x2GB

Look at the 'SPD' tab of CPU-z to identify your RAM as shown below; link - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

'SPD' tab of CPU-z:

softwares-cpuz-05.jpg
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Personally I wouldn't bother adding more RAM it will do you nearly no good. In most cases it's not a great idea to add asymmetric capacities to a Dual Channel MOBO. In other words keep the Channels equal so Dual Channel can be Enabled.

Choices:
1. Keep it as-is ; my advice
2. Add 2GB that matches the: Frequency, CAS Timings and Voltage to the other 3x2GB i.e. a Xerox clone is best
2. Add 2x4GB kit that matches the: Frequency, CAS Timings and Voltage to the other 3x2GB

Look at the 'SPD' tab of CPU-z to identify your RAM as shown below; link - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

'SPD' tab of CPU-z:

softwares-cpuz-05.jpg

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.