Gpu 1 load at 100% - 6950 XFX

TheBrutalFlan

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Hello,

I have recently installed a Sapphire HD 6950 CrossfieX setup and when I run both MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z they both show that GPU 1 is at a constant 100%
Was wondering if anyone might know why that is?
Everything else on the card seems to run normally; temp, fans etc.
I've read elsewhere about people with similar problems but they were only with MSI and was fixed by running GPU-Z.

Any help would be great,
Thanks

TheBrutalFlan

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

Just noticed card is on a pci-e x2 connection, could this be why it runs at 100%?

TheBrutalFlan

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Sorry bit of a newb to all this!
system spec is as follows

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k
PSU: xenta 800w - 80plus certified
RAM: Kingston 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Memory Kit 1.65V non-ECC CL9
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

I believe the motherboard is x16 running at x2
Link to motherboard: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/260187

In particular it states;
Expansion Slots
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (blue, single at x16 mode)
1. 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (black, at x4 mode, compatible with PCI Express x1 and x4 devices)
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
3 x PCI
* The PCIe x1 slots share the bandwidth with the PCIe x16_2 slot.
* Due to the CrossFireX™ limitation, 2. DO NOT use the PCIe x1 slots when you install two CrossFireX™ graphics cards on both the PCIe x16 slots to set up a CrossFireX™ configuration.
* To disable the PCIe X1 slot, refer to the Onboard Devices Configuration section in the BIOS for details.

I have highlighted queries in bold;
1. Does this connection run crossfire at x16 or at x4? I'm assuming it would run at x16
2. Does there need to be something physically plugged into this slot for it to warrant disabling?

Thank you

This is a fairly common issue. I had it happen to me for the first time with 11.3 drivers, but it's definitely an issue for quite a few people. Since I updated to 11.4 I've had no sign of it.

The PCIe slots you're using aren't causing it. The slot running at 4x isn't optimal, it's better to use 8x/8x than 16x/4x but it's ok. This means your top card is running at 16 PCIe lanes but the second card is only running at 4 lanes.

As for that bolded part, it just means don't run any other PCIe devices like a sound card which uses the 1x PCIe slot (the very small one). I think if you use that it would take that black x16 slot and drop it down to 1x as well. Sounds like it's running the second card off the south bridge chipset.

TheBrutalFlan

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
sorry to waste your time guys, it was down to the pcie x1 slots not being disabled! Duh.. feel like a retard for not reading the instructions properly lol

Thank you for your time anyway!

TheBrutalFlan

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

Sorry didn't see your reply, quick Q, can this motherboard run x8 x8? if so how? The bios page i looked at seemed to suggest it only ran at x4 in conjunction with another card, but i dont know that for certain.
It does seem that disabling the pcie x1 slots has allowed both cards to run properly tho.
When on desktop gpu1 runs up to 30% peaks and gpu 2 at 0%, which ive read is what its supposed to do.
When playing games gpu 1 maxes out at 100% and gpu 2 runs around 50% plus.

Cheers.

Unfortunately your motherboard can only run the second card at 4x. I'm guessing that's why your second card's usage is low. A 4x lane can bottleneck your card's output. You would see more usage and higher FPS if you get a new motherboard that properly supports crossfire at 8x/8x.

My cards at 8x/8x run at identical (within 1%) usage at all times when gaming.

Oh, and did you install CAP along with the drivers? It's on AMD's driver install page... Crossfire Application Profiles.

TheBrutalFlan

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

Yeh i thought they were meant to run at around the same usage, still I'm quite pleased with whatever performance this gives at the mo as I've upgraded from an xbox, my god they are awful!

No i don't think i did install CAP, will have to look that up.

Are 8x/8x boards more expensive? This board cost £100, wouldn't really like to spend any more than another £150 as i've spent quite a bit recently :)
Its so easy to spend money on these things! gotta get another hdd and a gaming mouse yet £££!
Well worth it tho

Yeah, it is really annoying that they made those 16x/4x boards at all. If I remember correctly the only difference between the 16x/4x and 8x/8x is a few switches costing extremely little (like a couple dollars if that).

TheBrutalFlan

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Yeah it is annoying, more annoying as i very nearly bought the Pro version but when i looked at the specs (not knowing about 16x/4x and 8x/8x) it looked fairly similar so i thought id save myself £20 and get the LE. Ironic really as now i have to fork out another £130ish. O well.
Thanks for all your help guys! Very appreciated.

TheBrutalFlan

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

ok... any particular reason? or evidence for this statement?
It seems to be doing ok so i'll probably leave it for now.