Wired connection, adapter keeps disabling and enabling repeatedly?

shoreleave22

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
I just reinstalled windows 7 64bit and a new hard drive after my HDD failed. I plugged in my wired connection and it detects the network and then it disables it after 2 seconds. Then it enables again and disables.. continually.

I tried a wireless card too but it detects the network and asks for a passphrase but it says my passphrase is incorrect even though it's right. I triple checked it...

I have windows firewall turned off and I don't have any other firewalls. I rebooted the network and my computer too.

If I go to Network Connections in the Control Panel, it shows:

-Local Area Connection
it cycles between these every other second:
---Enabled
---Identifying Network
---Network Cable unplugged

Ironbird

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
I have the same problem, but I traced my problem down to find out its nothing to do with my desktop. I live next door to my parents and used to share internet connection via my laptop picking off its wireless. That worked fine, but when I went to install a cable I have a similar problem to what you have. I have tried adding another router in my house, plugins directly into the new wire, and to see if the problem exists for my laptop when I plug it into the wire (which it does). However my internet doesn't give out as often as you says yours does. As long as I maintain network activity say playing an online game or downloading a file the internet will stay fully functional but as soon as I stop using any bandwidth it drops. I'm down to the point that their is something wrong with the wire I installed but I hate to do all that work again installing it over here.

shoreleave22

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Hi Ironbird, thanks for your reply. I don't think that's the same problem as mine because I was using the same internet connection as before and this happened after a HDD crash.

I think it may have something to do with my motherboard since this is an adapter problem. I've tried installing ASUS p6t x58 deluxe software from the asus site and now I have a wired connection but it's ridiculously slow and it still will not recognize the wireless usb adapters.

Ironbird

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
have you tried reinstalling windows or testing it on a different operating system via live cd/usb? Sometimes its worth the try just encase somehow windows screwed up in the installation process which happens once in a while.

schm1tty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Windows 7 will install drivers if it has them, and for my machines it has worked great, but that doesn't meant that thats the case for every computer. Check the drivers, I could see how that would cause the issue.
Good luck:)

schm1tty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
The onboard lan drivers. Every component that is plugged into a computer uses drivers, even the stuff built into the motherboard. Some of those devices use the generic windows drivers, like usb devices and cd drives, and others need specific drivers, like nic's and video cards(most of the time), and if you do not have the proper driver you can get errors and problems like what you are describing. Go to the mobo or the computer manufactures website and look up the drivers for your computer. The wired nic should be in the "Network" section, or something to that nature.

tonguedemon

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hi folks,

I see this is an older thread but I came across a solution that worked for me.

Bit of background - I had the dreaded disabled/enabling issue, tried a multitude of possible fixes until I found one that worked.
I have the Intel 82566DM Gigabit Network Connection on my PC, and downloaded the latest drivers from Intel.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx, Ethernet Components, Ethernet Controllers and selected my network card's drivers.

Then I went to Device Manager, right clicked on the 82566DM and went to properties. There I selected Link Speed and moved it from auto to 10Mbps Full Duplex and voila!

Hope this at least helps you guys with Intel network controllers, and I'm sure there's other ways of changing the link speed.

Rob

39Shirt

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

I have had the same exact problem (running windows 7 64bit on Dell XPS M1730 - broadcom net extreme 57xx gigabit controler) it was very frustrating - but after applying this work around and "voila" it worked for me too... only I also tried 100Mbps Full Duplex and it worked great also. Maybe a problem between the driver and the switch I am plugging into or just a flaky port trying to determine between 10Mbps and 100Mbps?? anyway thank for the above fix!!

Giantgrumps

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
I also had this problem of random LAN issues dropping my connection. I also went to network connections, then properties, the under Speed/duplex, i changed it from Auto to 100mbps/Duplex. Been three days and no drops.

Thanks to all those who posted :)

Jana1

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Hi folks,

Today i was facing a similar issue; I am using ISP connection. when i insert LAN cable directly into the desktop; -Local Area Connection enables and disables vice-verse automatically after few seconds. However i am using WiFi router connection modem to connect to wireless devices.

Insert the LAN cable to router and connect the Wireless router modem cable to the desktop and tried; Local Area Connection appeared and no enable or disabled happened. ( when technicians investigated, he said there is an issue with the LAN card in the Desktop, However i argued saying it is not the problem with the LAN card/port, please check with an IS Provider. Finally technician concluded saying try connection to a LAPTOP and see if this similar problem occurs ).

Problem could be either with the LAN/ Ethernet card or LAN connectivity ( ISP - Internet service provider ). Meanwhile do the basic troubleshooting steps like: Diagnose, Disable the lan card and enable it again, if require remove /clean the LAN/ Ethernet card and put it back and try again. Hope it would work.

Thanks
Janardhan K

Muneer Muhammed

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

Traian1

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
I am having the same problem and I did the link speed changing thing and I changed it to 10 Mbps Full Duplex. The problem here is that the internet only works if select 10 Mbps half or full duplex. It doesn't work with higher speed. I mean what is this? I can't download things faster and I have to wait too long! -.- Maybe my internet card is the problem?.. By the way, my motherboard is a ASROCK H87 FATAL1TY PERFORMANCE. Please, someone answer me! Thanks. :(

Mar 2, 2015

SOLUTION: Disable Energy Efficient Ethernet. It's located insidethe adapter Properties -> Configure ->Advanced Tab -> find Energy Effiecient Ethernet and disbale it. Problem solved.

Steve972

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015

This solution worked for me also using a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller. Switching the Link speed from auto to 10 MBS Full Duplex did the trick. Thanks!

devoknows

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

Sorry to reopen this thread, but just wanted to confirm (for anyone else out there that is still having this issue) that changing the speed and duplex from Auto to 100 or 10 Mbps Full Duplex solved my issue, Thanks!.

HZ0913

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Sorry for bringing up back this thread. But your method doesn't works on me. Can you assist me?

My ethernet cable works just fine on my friends laptop. I figured out that my ethernet port on the wall can't give me connection to Internet using my laptop but I do have Internet using other port (my friend's port) flawlessly. I've been solving for days but to no avail. T.T btw, my wireless connection works just fine, but not with my ethernet connection

devoknows

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

The issue came back, but I seem to have fixed my issue by updating BIOS. What Motherboard do you have? Do you have the latest BIOS update?

HZ0913

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

How to check my motherboard? I don't think I updated my BIOS at all. Maybe it's included in Windows update. I don't know.