Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Performance question

Last response: in Motherboards
July 10, 2012 1:59:21 AM

Hi.

I have recently built a rig with an ASRock x79 Extreme 6 motherboard. I have two Samsung SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration using the Onboard RAID controller attached to two SATA3 ports. I have also plugged in a Seagate SATA HDD and a DVD to the remaining two SATA2 ports of the same controller.

The ASRock Mobo comes with an ASMedia controller that enables two SATA 3 ports with which I have pluged in two smaller sized SSDs. There is no option to RAID on the ASMedia controller. So my two smaller SSD's are configured as AHCI.

I am building a SQL server and intend to use the RAID 0 for the user databases.
I have installed Windows 7 on the Seagate HDD
I intend to put the system databases as well as tempDB on one of the smaller SSD's.
I intend to install SQL Server on the other SSD.

My question is: Should I move the two smaller SSDs to the RAID controller and attach to the SATA2 for better performance or will the current config provide better performance since they are on the ASMedia SATA3 ports?

More about : performance question

Best solution

a c 717 V Motherboard
July 10, 2012 1:43:00 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

Unless you injected (F6) or other method the Intel RSTE driver to Windows 7 during OS installation then changing the Intel SATA -> RAID will result in a BSOD - guaranteed. See my Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume...

Only the Intel SATA ports offer full bandwidth to the SATA ports. In contrast the ASMedia ASM1061 is PCIe 2.0 x1 or 500MB/s over (2) ports max - http://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_show_products.php?cate_... vs Intel SATA2 (600MB/s 2 ports) or SATA3 (1200MB/s 2 ports). File structure is the limiting factor to seq/random R/W speeds.

My preference is always the Intel chipset SATA when/if not using a Dedicated RAID Card.

July 11, 2012 8:30:15 AM

Best answer selected by bongdragon.
Score
Related resources
July 11, 2012 8:31:06 AM

Thanks Jaquith.

Much Appreciated.

I will swap over the SSD's with the DVD and the SAta HDD.

Thanks Again.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 11:41:52 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!