Sign in with
Your question

Sata ports underneath graphics card

Last response: in Motherboards
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2012 3:47:44 AM

So I asked this question about a month ago and didn't really get a clear answer, so I said I would ask it again later.

So I want to upgrade my GPU but any decent modern day GPU is going to cover most, if not all of my sata ports. I looked online and found low profile SATA cables that some people claim will fit under a GPU and some that say it didn't work for them. What do you guys think, has anyone had this problem, how did you fix? What else could I look at? Thanks
If your wondering I was looking at 7850's but relized I'd have to hard of a time collecting that much money (The only "job" I can find is mowing a few peoples lawns) so I looked at some cheaper ones, between the 6870 and the GTX 560, I think I'll go with the 560, it performs better in most of the games that I play (Starcraft, Skyrim, and BF3 which I will buy after I get a new GPU). My PSU can handle it don't worry, I figured my next GPU upgrade would be to add a second one of whatever I buy, I never have run multiple GPU's and would like to say that I have.

My motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
Low profile SATA cable: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
And the GPU I've been watching: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... (different 560's are always going on sale so this isn't the one that I'll buy for sure, but it's on the cheaper side (even without the sale) and it's still a good brand)
a b U Graphics card
a c 715 V Motherboard
July 10, 2012 12:37:28 PM

It's pretty simple, if the GPU covers the SATA ports and the right-angle SATA cables don't have the room (they should) get a new MOBO compatible with your CPU and components. The (2) two bottom SATA ports won't be covered by a double wide GPU so worst case use those SATA ports.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2012 8:05:48 PM

jaquith said:
It's pretty simple, if the GPU covers the SATA ports and the right-angle SATA cables don't have the room (they should) get a new MOBO compatible with your CPU and components. The (2) two bottom SATA ports won't be covered by a double wide GPU so worst case use those SATA ports.

Guess your right about having to upgrade my board if it doesn't fit, if I buy a GPU and it doesn't work out I'd think they'd let me return it, then I would use that money on a new board. And hopefully your right about two staying uncovered. If I can only use one single HDD, and a Disc Drive that'd be alright with me until I could upgrade my Motherboard.

Got another question now, would I be able to boot from a PCI Sata controller? If a GPU does cover up all my SATA ports and nothing works out this could be a good alternative for the time being, assuming that I would still be able to boot in a OS.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 715 V Motherboard
July 10, 2012 8:35:26 PM

mace200200 said:
Got another question now, would I be able to boot from a PCI Sata controller? If a GPU does cover up all my SATA ports and nothing works out this could be a good alternative for the time being, assuming that I would still be able to boot in a OS.

Well you have the (2) onboard SATA ports.

As far as a PCIe SATA Card, the success rates are proportional to a degree with the quality of the MOBO. The BIOS must allow the resources to the SATA Card and most of the time data (non-bootable) drives work and bootable fail.

The only way to know is to go to the 'PCIe SATA Card's' site and check for compatibility <or> Google your MOBO + PCIe SATA Card + bootable and see if other's have had success.

There's no way for me to know unless I 'see' that it does.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2012 8:47:32 PM

jaquith said:
Well you have the (2) onboard SATA ports.

As far as a PCIe SATA Card, the success rates are proportional to a degree with the quality of the MOBO. The BIOS must allow the resources to the SATA Card and most of the time data (non-bootable) drives work and bootable fail.

The only way to know is to go to the 'PCIe SATA Card's' site and check for compatibility <or> Google your MOBO + PCIe SATA Card + bootable and see if other's have had success.

There's no way for me to know unless I 'see' that it does.

I haven't picked out a SATA card yet, probably won't do much more research on it unless I decide to go that route then,
a b U Graphics card
a c 715 V Motherboard
July 10, 2012 9:10:52 PM

Trust me 'Data only' piece of cake, 'Bootable' is an entirely diffident thing.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2012 9:20:21 PM

jaquith said:
Trust me 'Data only' piece of cake, 'Bootable' is an entirely diffident thing.

Yea that's why I asked :) 
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2012 9:26:48 PM

2 things. one, some of those angled sata cables - the "ell" portion is longer than others. the picture ( link ) you posted "looks" as if they are the shallower ones and should work.

secondly, the sata connections on the board........ take notice of how the cables connect. bet you will only be able to use one, maybe 2 cables....because of the direction the cables MUST plug in........... food for thought.

gotta say gigabyte boards........ no surprise there. Think they would smarten sooner than they did....... but they still do it on some of their boards. I have 2 of them here and have to use the angled cables on one of them.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2012 9:28:53 PM

swifty_morgan said:
2 things. one, some of those angled sata cables - the "ell" portion is longer than others. the picture ( link ) you posted "looks" as if they are the shallower ones and should work.

secondly, the sata connections on the board........ take notice of how the cables connect. bet you will only be able to use one, maybe 2 cables....because of the direction the cables MUST plug in........... food for thought.

I took all of this into account, those cables bend the right way, which seems to be different from most other boards, and I looked good and hard for the shortest cable I could find and that one is it. Part of the reason I want that ASUS card is that the Heatsink looks to be a little bit higher than on most other cards.
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2012 9:43:04 PM

it's not the cables that need to bend the right way. look INTO the sata connector on the board. see what direction the little "L" tab goes ? you can only slip the cable on one way.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2012 10:51:46 PM

swifty_morgan said:
it's not the cables that need to bend the right way. look INTO the sata connector on the board. see what direction the little "L" tab goes ? you can only slip the cable on one way.

The cables I picked out plug in so they bend away from the sata port across from it.
August 9, 2012 1:21:02 AM

There are "Right Angle" and "Left Angle" SATA cables, also known as 90 degree and 270 degree. Neither description is very useful for most people.

Left & right depends on the orientation of your SATA ports. I have boards with ports facing opposite directions, so a right cable faces left on one of them. And 90/270 degrees from what reference point?

So hopefully the following will clear things up...

Left angle SATA cables will face up when plugged into a hard drive (toward the top of the drive), while right angle cables will face down (toward the circuit board side).

The way to tell when looking at the cable itself is that the short side of the reversed "L" slot in the cable will face toward the data cable on a right angle, and away from the data cable on left angled. I'll make an attempt at ASCII art below.

⎡==== Right angle, 90 degree, downward facing. Common.

⎦==== Left angle, 270 degree, upward facing. Uncommon.

Left angle cables are difficult to find, and low profile ones even more so. It's hard to tell low profile on most sites because they often don't show the side view of the connector or give dimensions. A low profile cable will have the narrow part of the connector, the part that actually inserts into the SATA port, jutting directly out of the plug with no bend in the fatter part of the plug.

Low profile. No bend in fatter part of plug.
[]=
[]
|

Not low profile. Plug bends and takes up almost as much space as straight cable.
[][]=
[]
|

Hope that hepls someone...
!