SODIMM and heatsink for ASUS P8H67-I DELUXE LGA 1155 H67

haven888

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
CENTRAL QUESTION:
Having never built a PC before, I'm worried about the not-yet-chosen heatsink colliding with the not-yet-chosen SODIMMS. In terms of avoiding collisions with the SODIMMs, does one brand of heatsink have better clearance than the others? Do some SODIMMS have a lower profile than others?

BACKGROUND
I am trying to spec out a home-built system mainly for software development but with occasional HD video editing. I'm not totally clueless about hardware but I haven't had my hands even on a PCI card for about 15 years, so it feels like I've been abducted by aliens and am coming down the flying saucer ramp still wearing a vintage leather bomber jacket. :)

I'm going with an 95W Intel i7 with graphics on the m/b for starters, leaving open the possibility of installing a discrete GPU later, if needed. The m/b is probably going to be an ASUS P8H67-I DELUXE LGA 1155, which takes laptop memory, DDR3 1333 SODIMMS. I'll be running 64-bit Windows 7 with several VMs, so I'm going with two (2) 4GB SODIMMS.

My home office is an oven in the summer months, so I've settled on (and have placed an order for) a Cubitek Mini Tank mini ITX case because it's supposed to have very good cooling capabilities, with a large intake fan on the front panel, and two exhaust fans, one of them on the rear panel and one directly above the CPU on the top of the enclosure, and enough room for heatsinks as tall as 160mml.

Thanks for advice/suggestions.