Dial-up to Cable hep me hep me

Sumadin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
Hello All
It's been awhile since I've been to this site.
Thanks to all the information and advice I received over a 3 month span here at Tom's Community my system build went smoothly.

I return once again to seek help from the Community.

I want to switch from my dial up modem to a cable modem.

I know absolutely nothing about cable modems.

My mb is an Asus A7V133 (rev 1.04)
900Mhz TBird

Not sure if MB places certain restrictions on what I should use. USB play a role with certain cable modems?
I dont currently use any USB stuff and not sure if this board would have issues with USB.

What NIC card (that what its called?)should I use?

What would be a good modem to use?

Well, you get the drift.
Anyone have this mb and a nice cable modem set-up?
Any help / info would be greatly appreciated.

Can't wait to tell ATT.net to shove their dial up service where the sun don't shine.

<font color=red>Sumadin</font color=red>

<font color=blue>"A mind is a terrible thing"</font color=blue>

scarecrow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You shouldn't have to worry about a cable modem unless your planning on buying your own since the cable company will provide one for you. If you do buy one though it will save some money off your monthly payment.
As for the nic, you could go out and get just about any pci one and you should be fine. There are a couple more posts in here that talk about the diff. between a no name and the brands. I myself usually go with an intel or netgear, but thats just me since they seem to be very reliable.
Hope that helps....

<A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com" target="_new">Join The Tom's Hardware SETI@Home Team</A>

FatBurger

Illustrious
The Netgear 310tx seems to be about the best NIC around. It's $20 or so. AT&T says on their website that NICs run around $30-$80. I have no idea where they got that information from.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?