What to do

Hello,

Sorry to bother you guys again. It seems o me that I have almost run out of options. I have been looking for a job where i live but no success. I have also thought of starting a business, but capital is an issue.

I do not want to feel SOL right now. I have a budget to attend, gas to pay, things to do/buy. They are really tight right now,( gas isn't even helping right now.)

What do you guys recommend. I need to be able to get capital and support myself through school. I cannot afford to screw myself.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you're really that stuck, I suggest going to school on the full play-now-pay-later plan. I went on Stafford loans and Pell grants and graduated almost $50k in debt :) I'm screwed...

So screwing yourself is actually a viable survival option, if you've nowhere else to go.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I had a job washing dishes on the weekend, but that was just to pay for the wife's needs. The loans were enough to cover my basic living expenses. And once I'd been on campus a while, I found an on-campus job as a plumber's assistant. Then I started buying systems from the school junk sale and refurbing them for a used PC store. Then I started buying truckloads of systems from the state government's junk sale and refurbing them for the same store. I was flush with cash and still lived on student loans because hey, you "need stuff" too :p

A successful business model would be to fork over for a large yellow page ad for PC repair. People who still use the yellow pages ( actually quite a few, especial those that do need PC services) will gravitate to the larger ads. Just remember to CYA with contracts and what not.

Good luck!
Also, might want to check with government contractors in your area for IT.

Thanks CompTIA. I am still working on my A+ right now, but hopefully get it by this end may, first June.

I do want to do something with computers. I still just can't figure a good one for me.

You guys are great. Please continue. It really brings me joy. :D

Dogman.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
You can try your hand at building a couple of low buck apps/games for iphone while the going is still good. I believe the upfront cost is $100 for the programming tools and away you go. Or you can punch out a couple of "micro app" games that are similar to the facebook games.

The possibilities are endless if you put your mind to it, with little to no upfront costs involved, except for hardwork and diligence. You say you are going to school right, if they have auctions/selloffs of their old computer hardware you can buy some of that cheap and turn around and sell it on ebay, the profit wont be much, but it could sustain you in between checks...

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

I think you need an Apple machine for that too...?

If you can't find an IT job right away, but you need money pronto find a simple job locally. Cashiers, stock room help, waiters are needed everywhere and don't require any qualifications. With a job like that you will have some income that would allow you to stay afloat while you look for a real IT job.