Sign in with
Your question

Verizon is Supplying FIOS now

Last response: in Networking
February 17, 2005 3:19:48 AM

Finally!! Fiber Optics in the home! I like the looks of 15/2 for $50 a month.

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"

More about : verizon supplying fios

February 17, 2005 10:32:46 AM

Too bad it is not availiable in my area yet.
I am actually very interest in how people use all that bandwidth.
February 17, 2005 11:32:28 AM

P2P. what do you think?!?

5mbit upload is good enough to run several game servers that I want! 2mbit will work just fine.

Its a good thing though. There will be no more "Hey stop downloading stuff! Your lagging me!" situations!

wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 17, 2005 12:28:16 PM

Who here could realy use up 15mbit of download, even 30mbit? I think that the web is now the limiting factor here.

What website or FTP will allow you to download something at 1850kps (15mbit) or 3700kps (30mbit)? Thats really insane once you look at the numbers. 30mbit line can download 222 megs in one minuet! I remember when Cable first came around and I had a 350kbit line! Look how the times change.

I hear on the newsgroups that verizon's next internet service will hit well over 100mbit, then not to far in the future Gigabit will be avaliable to the average consumer for much cheaper than it would cost now! This is a realy great and affordable!

What are webhosts going to do with all these people with caps this high? They would realy need to expand too keep up!

Can you imagine? Streaming a DVD! Have grandma stream a home video in high quality from your pc and still have room for your games and p2p!

I cant wait too see what this will lead to in terms of expansin of the internet and file sharing.

February 17, 2005 6:37:56 PM

major websites have enough bandwidth to handle it cause you will download very fast but disconnect after a very short time. the problem for even major internet servers is not the speed of downloaders but the number of connections to their servers.

this is my boomstick!
February 17, 2005 9:32:36 PM

For P2P most current boardband should be fine. Currently I am using Road Runner cable modem for my P2P application. For the pass 2 month my average download is a little more than 9 GB a day. My file server can hold about 600 GB(6 WD Specail Editon 120 GB in Raid 5. WD Specail Editon 120 GB was the largest and fastest IDE hard drive when I get it.)
The file server is already kind full and I often have to backup data to DVD. I already have a few hundred DVD full of video and have spend a lot time burning and organizing them.
I would not upgrade just for P2P. I am not even using my current conneciton efficiently (The connection is capable DL a lot more than 9GB a day)because I already download a lot more stuff than I can really use. To use the current connection more efficiently I would need to spend more time and a larger file server.
February 17, 2005 10:29:27 PM

The only reason I keep upgrading my internet connection is to get the higher upload. I'm not really concerned about the download speed at all. I need the extra upload for my various servers. I certainly wouldn't mind 2mb of upload :) 
Isn't SBC starting FIOS as well? I am definatly getting one of those connections as soon as it is avaliable to me.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
February 17, 2005 11:01:29 PM

Road Runner does not allow server hosting on their residential network. What kind server are you hosting?? I am very interest on how people use their bandwidth.
February 18, 2005 12:23:24 AM

I run a webserver (my sig link), email server, ftp server, teamspeak server, and various game servers every so often.
My current 3mb dsl connection has 384k upload so it isn't terrible but I sure wouldn't mind more :) 

February 18, 2005 2:59:47 AM

Yeah. All I want is the upload too! Verizon does not allow server hosting at all. I host a Ventrilo, Team Speak, 2*15 man Tribes servers, and Qnext FTP. I max out my 768k upload very vast. I am sure that I can max out 2mb up too, witch is why I would love to have a 5mb upload. Verizon does not allow a 15/5 line, witch is realy a shame. I would be more than happy to pay a premium for a 15/5 line. But I dont want to pay $200 for a 30/5 line. This realy make T1 and even T3 look slow. But It has its own advantages. T1 and T3 prices should drop!

February 18, 2005 3:24:54 AM

To think about it. FiOS has lower ping times. People are reporting less than 1ms pinging their DNS. My DSL gets 23 ping at best.

Through this line they will be able to have Direct Video (digital TV), and many phone lines stream through this. VIOP will be huge too.

Fiber Optics will be further expandable for the future too. All they need to do is add more fiber. Soon Verizon will offer 100mb+ services. This is insane!

"Add more fiber and $hit comes out faster!"

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by clob on 02/17/05 06:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 18, 2005 5:40:42 AM

Eh, T1, T3, and DS3s will probably stay expensive for a while. They have the advantage of synchronous speeds :) 
I doubt many home users could afford to put a Mux in their house anyway, lol.

February 18, 2005 12:27:42 PM

My friend in Japan told me he is already using symmetric 100 Mbps internet connection. He is paying about $ 40 US for it because he sign up with some promotion. He told me something similar is avaible in Hong Kong too. The 100 Mbps internet connection in Hong Kong only cost $35 US according to the company's web site.

Here is the link to the web site.
http://bb100.hkbn.net/BB100/index_e.htm
February 18, 2005 3:19:03 PM

Thats stupid! What would some one do with 100mbit of speed?

I would put 50 computers on it and tell them to have a field day.

February 18, 2005 4:27:00 PM

I would not mind paying $35 for 100 Mbps connection instead of paying $45 for road runner.
February 18, 2005 4:41:45 PM

I believe people will find new ways to use all the bandwidth that is available. I am very interested in how will they use all that bandwidth.
February 18, 2005 7:51:47 PM

100mbit = 12.5 mbytes a seccond... Stream dvd to your home theatre, run massive FTP servers for your friends. Run game servers for all your games! Webserver! Sell the line to Americans that just moved there for $$!!

What elese can everyone think of?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by clob on 02/18/05 06:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 18, 2005 9:23:03 PM

Not much people knows about internet before 1995 and in just a few years almost everybody is using it. I would not be surprise if people find new ways to use the extra bandwidth in a few month. There are a lot of creative people out there.
February 19, 2005 8:23:45 PM

I just feel sorry for my friend that is stuck with a 56k connection. They realy need to expand cheap boradband to the outskirts of his city. He would get satalite internet, but he like playing games. ISDN is out of the question because he has no way of getting a modem. Im going to get a 15meg connection and hes stuck with 56k connection.

February 26, 2005 3:14:10 AM

Dont get your hopes up if they have to run it underground. Seems like they are saving that for last. Witch means im not getting it very soon, even though I am in a dence neighborhood...

March 14, 2005 1:48:27 PM

You think 56k is bad try 28.8k, now that's bad. Although it looks like CenturyTel might put DSL in free for me.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by athlonxp2200 on 03/14/05 03:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 14, 2005 2:53:52 PM

not much of a difference between the two, slow is slow no matter how you look at it!

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>
!