Anyone know how to copy a hard drive?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 9, 2005 12:22:55 PM

Does anyone have knowledge as to how I can copy most of my hard drive files
located on my laptop onto my desktop PC? I am getting rid of the laptop and
to copy file by file would take forever. Preferably there is some way to
direct connect one computer to the other. Thanks!

Smokey in Michigan

More about : copy hard drive

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 9, 2005 12:22:56 PM

One way would be buy or borrow a thumb drive. It would be better spent
dollars than a crossover cable.

Also, before getting rid of that laptop run a shredder program to ensure
total removal of any information you don't want to fall into the hands of
others.

Shred II is a good one from PC Magazine. If you would like a copy email me
and I'll attach a copy.

I'm at:

dschmidtATpacifierDOTcom

Don

"Smokey" <telegrapher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have knowledge as to how I can copy most of my hard drive
> files
> located on my laptop onto my desktop PC? I am getting rid of the laptop
> and
> to copy file by file would take forever. Preferably there is some way to
> direct connect one computer to the other. Thanks!
>
> Smokey in Michigan

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 9, 2005 1:25:52 PM

Smokey wrote:

>Does anyone have knowledge as to how I can copy most of my hard drive files
>located on my laptop onto my desktop PC? I am getting rid of the laptop and
>to copy file by file would take forever. Preferably there is some way to
>direct connect one computer to the other. Thanks!
>
>Smokey in Michigan

Use a crossover ethernet cable to connect the two systems. I presume you
don't already have them connected over a network.

Assign each computer an address in the same range (like 192.168.1.1 and
192.168.1.2), make sure that each is in the same workgroup, share the
drive on the laptop.
a b D Laptop
July 9, 2005 1:34:15 PM

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
> One way would be buy or borrow a thumb drive. It would be better spent
> dollars than a crossover cable.
>
> Also, before getting rid of that laptop run a shredder program to ensure
> total removal of any information you don't want to fall into the hands of
> others.
>
> Shred II is a good one from PC Magazine. If you would like a copy email me
> and I'll attach a copy.

Eraser is also good http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ and free.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 9, 2005 1:43:00 PM

"Smokey" <telegrapher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have knowledge as to how I can copy most of my hard drive
files
> located on my laptop onto my desktop PC? I am getting rid of the laptop
and
> to copy file by file would take forever. Preferably there is some way to
> direct connect one computer to the other. Thanks!
>
> Smokey in Michigan

If you have a basic knowledge of the innards of a PC and your laptop has an
easily accessible (physically) hard drive, you could remove the laptop drive
and using an inexpensive adapter cable, connect it to an internal IDE cable
and power cable inside your PC. Then it just appears as another hard drive
in your PC and you can transfer files quickly and easily. That said, if the
files to be transferred are only a couple of GB or less, then a thumb drive
is simplest and you'll never regret buying one.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 9, 2005 1:53:00 PM

It looks interesting. I'll have to give it a looksee. I presently use BC
Wipe 3.07.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"Ian S" <iws51remove@cox.net> wrote in message
> "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
>> One way would be buy or borrow a thumb drive. It would be better spent
>> dollars than a crossover cable.
>>
>> Also, before getting rid of that laptop run a shredder program to ensure
>> total removal of any information you don't want to fall into the hands of
>> others.
>>
>> Shred II is a good one from PC Magazine. If you would like a copy email
>> me
>> and I'll attach a copy.
>>
> Eraser is also good http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ and free.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 9, 2005 11:55:29 PM

"Smokey" <telegrapher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have knowledge as to how I can copy most of my hard drive files
> located on my laptop onto my desktop PC? I am getting rid of the laptop and
> to copy file by file would take forever. Preferably there is some way to
> direct connect one computer to the other. Thanks!
>
> Smokey in Michigan

You can buy an external USB drive to copy all your files.

Adam
July 12, 2005 12:02:04 PM

Thanks to all who responded...you've been a great help. I have tried to
email a couple of you directly with my appreciation but, due to anti-spam
techniques, my emails were bounced back. In any case, THANK YOU THANK YOU
THANK YOU.

Smokey

!