ATI driver install won't run at all

qtraceur

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hello,
I have windows 7 32 Bit and a Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 and I downloaded the "11-4_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_ocl".

After it unpacks the contents and runs the install I press next, and select the Install option.

The window then closes, end of story. I had an old driver installed since I bought my graphics card, hadn't been able to update at all!
Even when it did run install like half a year ago it did it with some fail messages..
Before trying to update this time, I used several driver uninstall guides to be rid of all previous driver files and I'm currently stuck with the problem of the install not running at all.

I've manually installed the 28.04.2011 driver only using device manager. Still don't have CCC, Hydravision and all the rest.

This has been a pain for a long time now, thanks in advance to all helpers, Michael.

Have you tried running driver cleaning utilities such as driver sweeper etc ? Personally i have never used these as i have found no need so couldn't help with how to use such a utility but im sure it cant be difficult.
I believe best practice is to run these in safe mode and then restart and then install the drivers.

Where are you saving the drivers to exactly ? Try putting them some where else, desktop is usually where i put them.

When you installed the last drivers did you only uninstall the GPU drivers ? I have seen cases where people have used the ATI uninstaller and changed the default setting ti uninstall all ATI drivers which then removes the chipset drivers as well.

I have had this sort of thing happen only once before a couple of years ago now. I couldn't get CCC to install at all. It didn't bother me to much as i was using ATI tray tool at the time to adjust the in driver settings, and it was known there could be a compatibility issue. Are you running anything like that ? It is possible to get a conflict with something that dosent play nice with CCC. ATI tray tools being a case in point.

I hate to say it but it could be possible that your going to either have to live with it or do a clean install.

Mactronix :)

qtraceur

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I have Windows 7 manager, and I used it to smart uninstall every bit of ATI software,
also cleaned the registry using the reg cleaner in it.

Saving my drivers to? extract is to c:\ATI\Support, install to automatic folder.

When I run the "11-4_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_ocl", I get an uninstall option below the install one, both of them do not work, but again I have now cleaned my PC of all ATI stuff.

After a while: Finally installed.. what I did is very basic, wonder why I haven't thought of it before.
The problem was that the Catalyst install manager wasn't running, so I did what he was supposed to do, went to Packages\Apps\ installed everything.. so now I have the catalyst icon in my tray. All is well, I hope..

Thanks very much for your input Mactronix.

Your welcome. For the record while i know it would seem the correct thing to do you really should not use the W 7 manager.
Next driver upgrade you do just download the drivers from AMD put them on the desktop as its easier. Run the uninstall utility in the AMD drivers. If you don't get prompted to reboot then do so anyway. When its started back up just double click or right click then open on the driver icon and follow through the process.

Mactronix :)