Connecting WRT54G and Linksys DIR 655

Hello,

I am trying to connect my WRT54G and my DIR 655 together. I want to have two access points. It goes like this:

Wall->ADSL Modem->Switch->WRT54G->DIR 655.

I have WRT54G hooked to the DIR 655 by a LAN to LAN configuration.

When I reset the DIR 655, I can access the firmware up until the point where Windows is asking me to "setup" the router by entering a PIN. So I enter the PIN and Windows "sets up" my DIR 655.

Here's the problem though, when connected to my DIR 655, I can't access its control panel! Even if I type 192.169.0.1 in the address bar, it will not let me access the page because of things like: "Communication was interrupted."

I can however, access the WRT54G control panel by typing in 192.168.1.1.

From a fresh reset of the router (All settings cleared) which settings would I need to change to be able to connect and use these two routers together?

For refernce, firmware emulator is here:

http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/dir655/133NA/login.html

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: What I want to be able to do is use the WRT54G as a protected access point, and then the DIR 655 as a hidden access point. (I know how to make the DIR 655 signal invisible.)

Thanks again.
2 answers Last reply
More about connecting wrt54g linksys
  1. do you intent to have one network or two separate networks?

did you connect the LAN port of the WRT54G to the LAN port or the WAN/Internet port of the DIR-655?

are you configuring the DIR-655 while you are connected via network cable?
  2. I would like to have two separate networks.

I connected one LAN port of the WRT54G to one LAN port of my DIR 655.

Third suggestion is interesting. I isolated the DIR 655 from everything else while I configured it.

DIR 655

IP: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0 (Same as WRT54G)
    DHCP: Off

And for now it's working!

Will check back in once it's been running for a while or has an issue.

Thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Wireless Networking