ASUS P8Z77 LK or ASRock Z77 extreme 4

Hmm in that price range it's tough, you chose the two that are very commonly discussed in this price range.

I'd consider the (Z68) ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792 but if the shipping BIOS is a pre-IB version then you need a donor CPU or RMA the MOBO.

OC'ing adds +$100~+200 or more to any build. Either can OC but the problem is at what vCore?? The OC'ing MOBO's allow lower stable vCores with more & improved phase and LLC controls. The IB CPU runs hot so you're going to need a good HSF or something like an H100 to cool the CPU.

natural

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

Hmmm... Well since this is my first build/gaming rig, I probably won't even OC or if i do, it'll be very minimal. Is there any mobo that is better than the ASRock or ASUS P8Z77 but isn't meant for OC'ing at all?

IF you're not going to OC then any H77, Q77, B75, Z75 or Z77 Chipset LGA 1155 MOBO will 'work' out of the box with the IB CPU. IF you're getting an IB (K) then I'd stick with either of those (2) MOBO's you've listed.

The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is a good deal and I feel that you'll enjoy it more down the line. Add a decent HSF later and play with OC'ing -- look at it as a work in progress.