Dumb Question I expect but could someone help

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 15, 2005 11:44:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

What is digital slr?

I ahve looked at the fuji finepix s7000 and the EOS Digital Rebel

I don't know what the difference is

Is one film and other flash card or are they both flash card?

Do I need a film scanner to put on pc?

What are the benefits of slr? Seems a lot of people say they are best.

Any help appreciated.

This is a honest request for help.

many thanks

Jon

More about : dumb question expect

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 11:44:10 PM

"Earlybird" <earlybird@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What is digital slr?
>
> I ahve looked at the fuji finepix s7000 and the EOS Digital Rebel
>
> I don't know what the difference is
>
> Is one film and other flash card or are they both flash card?
>
> Do I need a film scanner to put on pc?
>
> What are the benefits of slr? Seems a lot of people say they are best.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> This is a honest request for help.
>
> many thanks

Try rec.photo.digital.zlr

--
Martin S.
March 15, 2005 11:44:10 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:44:09 GMT, "Earlybird" <earlybird@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>What is digital slr?

Jon:
I'm not trying to take your head off, but literally few seconds to
type "define DSLR" in Google and you have tons of answers.

see here
http://www.cnet.com.au/photography/cameras/0,39025768,4...

Some people -will- take your head off over stuff like this because
A) The answer is extremely easy to find.
B) The question has been asked 10k times.
As a result it makes you sound pretty lazy. (not saying you are, but
that's how some will take it).

Always, always, ALWAYS try a quick search on www.Google.com or the
other search engine of your choice first, especially for general
questions like the definition of a term.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
March 15, 2005 11:44:10 PM

"Earlybird" <earlybird@yahoo.com> writes:

> What is digital slr?
>
> I ahve looked at the fuji finepix s7000 and the EOS Digital Rebel
>
> I don't know what the difference is

As generally used in these groups, a "digital SLR" is a camera body
that takes the same (mostly) lenses as some particular line of 35mm
film SLRs, but which records the images digitally.

> Is one film and other flash card or are they both flash card?

Both store the photos to memory cards of some sort.

> Do I need a film scanner to put on pc?

No.

> What are the benefits of slr? Seems a lot of people say they are best.

Interchangeable lenses is the biggest one. Also, similarity to what
we're used to working with (many of us came to digital from years of
working with 35mm film SLRs). Faster response, faster focusing. Much
lower image noise levels especially at high ISOs (because they use
physically larger sensors, and sensors optimized for quality giving up
things like live preview).

This is a "money plus effort" for "flexibility and quality" tradeoff.
The DSLR plus lenses is a LOT heavier and more expensive than
something like the Fuji S7000 or whatever. However, you can do a lot
more with it if you take the time to learn how and work hard enough to
actually do it. Which will fit your needs/desires better, you'll have
to figure out for yourself.

> Any help appreciated.
>
> This is a honest request for help.

Hope that helps!
March 16, 2005 3:35:14 AM

> I have looked at the fuji finepix s7000 and the EOS Digital Rebel

Q. I don't know what the difference is?
A. SLR = Single Lens Reflex. You view the subject image in the camera
viewfinder exactly as it is viewed by the lens, via a pentaprism, or in the
case of the Rebel, mirrors, and in turn is captured on digital media (or
film) (memory card, compact flash etc) as it is seen also.
The s7000 uses a small LCD EVF (Electronic Viewfinder), a small version of
the LCD screen on which you view the pictures you have taken, and is not a
true SLR. You are also not able to change the lens on the 7000

Whereas the Rebel uses a mirror in front of the image sensor, to view the
subject image through the lens itself. The mirror lifts up out of the way
(fraction of a second) just before the picture is taken.

Q. Is one film and other flash card or are they both flash card?
A. Both Digital (no film)

Q. Do I need a film scanner to put on pc?
A. NO

Q. What are the benefits of slr? Seems a lot of people say they are best.
A. Interchangeable lenses (quality lenses), lots more accessories, and in
"most cases" build quality.

Hope that helps, though it is very basic, you would be better off, doing a
search on the web for a more detailed explaination.

Here is a link to a Buying Guide that might be of some help.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

"Earlybird" <earlybird@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> What is digital slr?
>
> I ahve looked at the fuji finepix s7000 and the EOS Digital Rebel
>
> I don't know what the difference is
>
> Is one film and other flash card or are they both flash card?
>
> Do I need a film scanner to put on pc?
>
> What are the benefits of slr? Seems a lot of people say they are best.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> This is a honest request for help.
>
> many thanks
>
> Jon

March 16, 2005 9:11:31 AM

Drifter wrote:

> As a result it makes you sound pretty lazy. (not saying you are, but
> that's how some will take it).

I honestly think there are just a lot of people to whom it just never occurs to look
for the info themselves. It's not laziness, but it's not a trait that will get them a
lot of flattery, either. It's also possible that he looked but didn't narrow the
search and was scared off by the thousands of results to wade through.

> Always, always, ALWAYS try a quick search on www.Google.com

Yeah. What he said. It won't always be as easy as asking here, but the answers might
be a lot better, and they'll almost all be civil.

--
Steve

belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.
March 16, 2005 1:26:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Many thanks for your imput everyone.

I understand a bit better now so will be able to do research better than
what I did origanly.

Thanks for your time

Jon
"Earlybird" <earlybird@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> What is digital slr?
>
> I ahve looked at the fuji finepix s7000 and the EOS Digital Rebel
>
> I don't know what the difference is
>
> Is one film and other flash card or are they both flash card?
>
> Do I need a film scanner to put on pc?
>
> What are the benefits of slr? Seems a lot of people say they are best.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> This is a honest request for help.
>
> many thanks
>
> Jon

March 17, 2005 5:52:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

A digital SLR (single-lens-reflex) has interchangeable lenses and is
usually classified as a Prosumer camera. You can get an overview and
specific camera reviews and recommendations of digital slr digital
cameras here:

http://digital-camera.review-center.com/guide/guide.php...
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 1:36:15 AM

Min wrote:
> In article <1111099920.547156.179260@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> Scott <photobugST@yahoo.com> writes
> >A digital SLR (single-lens-reflex) has interchangeable lenses and is
> >usually classified as a Prosumer camera. You can get an overview and
> >specific camera reviews and recommendations of digital slr digital
> >cameras here:
> >
> >http://digital-camera.review-center.com/guide/guide.php...
> >
> And your question is?

How to read newsgroups.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 4:07:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

In article <1111099920.547156.179260@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Scott <photobugST@yahoo.com> writes
>A digital SLR (single-lens-reflex) has interchangeable lenses and is
>usually classified as a Prosumer camera. You can get an overview and
>specific camera reviews and recommendations of digital slr digital
>cameras here:
>
>http://digital-camera.review-center.com/guide/guide.php...

And your question is?
Min
--
And the method HAS born fruit, not matter what the barnacles say
Anonymous

Min <Min@min.demon.co.uk> wrote:
: In article <1111099920.547156.179260@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
: Scott <photobugST@yahoo.com> writes
: >A digital SLR (single-lens-reflex) has interchangeable lenses and is
: >usually classified as a Prosumer camera. You can get an overview and
: >specific camera reviews and recommendations of digital slr digital
: >cameras here:
: >
: >http://digital-camera.review-center.com/guide/guide.php...
: >
: And your question is?

He wasn't asking a question. He was answering one.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:00:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

>What is digital slr?

Here's the basic story.

There are at least two ways of dividing up cameras.

1. Digital vs. film. A digital camera captures images to a flash
card or other electronic medium. Digital is usually better for
capturing digital images, and certainly more convenient for capturing
digital images. In fact, for snapshots and medium-quality
enlargements, digital is more convenient in every regard. But a
digital camera will be more expensive than a film camera of the same
quality, sometimes much more expensive.

2. SLR vs. fixed-lens. An SLR lets you change lenses, while a
fixed-lens camera does not. (There are other non-SLR cameras that
also let you change lenses, though.) The reasons an SLR is better
than a fixed-lens camera are threefold: First, you can change lenses,
so you have more flexibility. Secondly, because you can use more than
one lens, you don't have to have one lens that does everything, so you
get higher quality. Thirdly, most SLRs are designed to be of higher
quality than most fixed-lens cameras.

A digital SLR is just that: a digital camera that lets you change
lenses.

-Joel

March 18, 2005 7:00:03 PM

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
>> What is digital slr?
>
> Here's the basic story.
>
> There are at least two ways of dividing up cameras.

> A digital SLR is just that: a digital camera that lets you change
> lenses.
>
> -Joel

De facto perhaps but not *required* by the words "single-lens reflex"!

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

On 18 Mar 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

> 2. SLR vs. fixed-lens. An SLR lets you change lenses, while a
> fixed-lens camera does not.

Nope. An SLR (Single Lens Reflex) has a single lens (as opposed to dual
lens cameras[1]), and uses a reflex (mirror) to send the image to the
viewfinder. Whether or not the lens is interchangable has nothing to do
with it. The fact of the matter is that virtually all SLRs have
interchangable lenses; however, some rangefinders do, too.

[1] Classic Rolleiflexes, for example; see http://www.foto.no/rolleiflex/
--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
> >What is digital slr?
>
> Here's the basic story.
>
> 2. SLR vs. fixed-lens. An SLR lets you change lenses, while a
> fixed-lens camera does not. (There are other non-SLR cameras that
> also let you change lenses, though.) The reasons an SLR is better
> than a fixed-lens camera are threefold: First, you can change lenses,
> so you have more flexibility. Secondly, because you can use more than
> one lens, you don't have to have one lens that does everything, so you
> get higher quality. Thirdly, most SLRs are designed to be of higher
> quality than most fixed-lens cameras.
>
> A digital SLR is just that: a digital camera that lets you change
> lenses.

Erm .... while that may often be true, it is far from being on the mark!
There are plenty of non slr's around with interchangeable lenses - albeit no
digitals that I know of.

The reason for the SLR is the desire to see what you are actually framing.

The Single Lens Reflex allow the user to view the actual image which will
hit the film plane at the time of exposure through the taking lens.
..
Twin lens reflexes used two matching lenses, one to view and one to shoot.
This was better than optical viewfinder cameras but did not totally
eliminate parallax error. Nor could you see the effects of graduated filters
etc.

The beauty of the single lens reflex is viewing through the taking lens: you
can accurately preview depth of field. take real macro photos (virtually
impossible with any other camera) and experiment with filters before
exposing a frame.

The advent of digital means that there is less "risk" attached to taking
frames since they are virtually free
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:50:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Tumbleweed wrote:
[]
> The reason for the SLR is the desire to see what you are actually
> framing.
[]
> The beauty of the single lens reflex is viewing through the taking
> lens: you can accurately preview depth of field. take real macro
> photos (virtually impossible with any other camera) and experiment
> with filters before exposing a frame.
>
> The advent of digital means that there is less "risk" attached to
> taking frames since they are virtually free

... and, of course, that any camera with an LCD or EVF finder offers
exactly the sort of live framing advantages only previously available with
SLR cameras.

David
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:56:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote in message news:jFD_d.215$Ab.55@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Tumbleweed wrote:
> []
>> The reason for the SLR is the desire to see what you are actually
>> framing.
> []
>> The beauty of the single lens reflex is viewing through the taking
>> lens: you can accurately preview depth of field. take real macro
>> photos (virtually impossible with any other camera) and experiment
>> with filters before exposing a frame.
>>
>> The advent of digital means that there is less "risk" attached to
>> taking frames since they are virtually free
>
> .. and, of course, that any camera with an LCD or EVF finder offers
> exactly the sort of live framing advantages only previously available with
> SLR cameras.
>
> David
Up to a point. But a (as yet) there is no camera with an LCD or EVF that is
capable of resolving detail sufficiently accurately to take macro 'photos or
to accurately evaluate D.O.F ..... I accept that they are vastly better than
optical viewfinders. But still (currently) limited in capability.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:41:25 PM

Tumbleweed wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
> message news:jFD_d.215$Ab.55@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Tumbleweed wrote:
>> []
>>> The reason for the SLR is the desire to see what you are actually
>>> framing.
>> []
>>> The beauty of the single lens reflex is viewing through the taking
>>> lens: you can accurately preview depth of field. take real macro
>>> photos (virtually impossible with any other camera) and experiment
>>> with filters before exposing a frame.
>>>
>>> The advent of digital means that there is less "risk" attached to
>>> taking frames since they are virtually free
>>
>> .. and, of course, that any camera with an LCD or EVF finder offers
>> exactly the sort of live framing advantages only previously
>> available with SLR cameras.
>>
>> David
> Up to a point. But a (as yet) there is no camera with an LCD or EVF
> that is capable of resolving detail sufficiently accurately to take
> macro 'photos or to accurately evaluate D.O.F ..... I accept that
> they are vastly better than optical viewfinders. But still
> (currently) limited in capability.

Which is precisely why I said "framing", and made no claim that a DSLR
finder was the same as an EVF or LCD finder. Focus is not so much of an
issue with macro, though, due to the much larger depth-of-field on the
smaller sensor P&S.

How disappointing, though, to see the one manufacturer who had actually
made progress in that area with an excellent VGA resolution EVF cut the
cost on their next camera with a much poorer resolution EVF. Perhaps they
were starting to compete with their new DSLR line....

Cheers,
David
!