NEED HELP ASAP

crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
During a game last night my computer froze and restarted. Now i get colored vertical lines across the screen and cannot boot up into windows because I get the blue screen and then reboot. I can boot into safe mode and copy all my files though.

If i backup all my files and re-install w7 will it help my problem?

Probably not, these image defects tend to point to a few things, bad video card, bad cable, and bad monitor. If the images are random each time you restart, it's probaly the video card or cable. Test the card in another PC, try another cable before re-installing Windows.

crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Yes its a 3870.
The colored line pattern is the same everytime i try to boot up.
Right before this happened windows said something happened with the AMD driver and then it restarted the system.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

BSOD means blue screen of death. You said that you had blue screen in your original post, didn't you?

I think he's getting the error that happens when the VRM/VRAM/GPU overheats. It could very well be going bad, or maybe you need to go crazy with a compressed air can. Especially in the heatsink area of the GPU.

Read the first post, test the card in another system before you do anything. Image defects are almost always caused by faulty hard-ware. Card, cable, etc..

crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I have re-installed windows 7 and it fixed the problem completely. I have insalled the new video drivers and the next day the same thing happens. I going to try to reisntall again and let windows 7 install the needed driver.

Default Windows drivers don't run enough of the card's features to cause issues due to heat or failing chips, which is why the issue came back. Win 7 new setup did not fix the issue, it just masked it behind generic drivers.

Many cards I looked at with issues ran just fine in Safe Mode or VGA drivers, soon as you start using them for 3D work, they crash.

You
Need
To
Try
The
Card
In
Another
Computer

If that also has the same issue, the card is bad. Make sure you run the full drivers and test it with a decent 3D app, not just default VGA drivers or Safe Mode.

You posts remind me of what my kids like to do "Dad, the door is stuck" "Turn the handle" "Dad, I tried to run fast at the door but it did not open" "Turn the handle" "Dad, I tried going outside, then inside, but the door won't open" "Turn the handle".