Pairing DDR3 memory questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

priority1

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Good morning my fellow technology lovers, I have a few questions for you. Right now my rig is running DDR3 memory with three sticks of 2 GB equaling 6 GB of RAM. I've been working on some projects that have been really memory intensive such as 3-D rendering and video editing. I'm wanting to upgrade the RAM. When upgrading do I need stick to the same megahertz of the other sticks of RAM? Also should I use another three sticks of RAM of the same capacity? And should I stay with the same brand? For instance I'll have six sticks of 2 GB equaling 12 GB of RAM total.

Thanks for your input,
James

Solution
You´ve got a faster RAM which is good. I´d stay with 6GB unless you´re experimenting some troubles while doing your stuff like rendering, etc.

Make sure they are really working at 1600MHz -- use CPU-z (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) for check that.

It is easy to set the RAM at 1600MHz as your motherboard has support for XMP profile. In order to set it get into the Bios, then got to MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.), then find the Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.), then check "enabled" XMP.

On the other hand if you want to work with 12GB, then set the Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) to "Manual", then set the Memory Frequency (Mhz) to 1333Mhz. Leave the DRAM Timing Selectable to "Auto".

jemm

Distinguished
It is always advised to have RAM sticks with the same voltage, frequency and latency -- better yet if the same brand.

Mind that 12GB RAM may stress a bit the memory controller depending upon its frequency [speed] and your CPU. Sometimes a bit of tweak in frequency is necessary.

It helps if you post your rig config.

typically when filling empty slots you want to stick (pun intended) with the same exact sticks (same manufacturer and same clock/capacity/timing/etc).

With that said, do you have 6 ram slots if you're planning to get 3 more sticks? most mobos come with only 4. I'm guessing that you do, so 12gb should be fine.

priority1

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
@AntiZig: Yeah I thought I should get the same sticks. Yes I do have six slots for RAM.

@Jemm: How would I down clock the RAM? Bios?

Rig specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte X58-UD3R
RAM: Corsair 2 GB DIMM DDR3-1600 in slots 1,2 and 3
CPU: Intel i7 920 @2.67Ghz
Video: GeForce GTX 460

jemm

Distinguished
You´ve got a faster RAM which is good. I´d stay with 6GB unless you´re experimenting some troubles while doing your stuff like rendering, etc.

Make sure they are really working at 1600MHz -- use CPU-z (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) for check that.

It is easy to set the RAM at 1600MHz as your motherboard has support for XMP profile. In order to set it get into the Bios, then got to MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.), then find the Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.), then check "enabled" XMP.

On the other hand if you want to work with 12GB, then set the Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) to "Manual", then set the Memory Frequency (Mhz) to 1333Mhz. Leave the DRAM Timing Selectable to "Auto".

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.