SLI 6970 Help Please

CulabunT

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I currently have the --->Asus Radeon 6970 DirectCU II 2GB it's factory OC at 890Mhz

If i got another 6970 differant Brand and not OC, but at stock 880Mhz would that still work fine in SLI???

Or do i need them to have the same Mhz??

Solution
They will run at what ever clock you have them set at. If you leave them at stock, one will run at 880 and the other at 890.

Each frame rendered by the cards will have ever so slightly different speeds of being rendered. Each card renders every other frame, so they really don't have to be the same exact clock to function. However, a large disparity may result in something similar to a microstutter, but it probably needs to be a huge difference to see something like that.

CulabunT

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I just get confused about whats called what these days, means the same thing. well ty, cause i want to Crossfire 2 6970, but the current card i have is expensive... well thanks

shane799

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
you can go either way. The faster card will lower itself to match the faster card regardless of which is in which slot. I would think more about which has superior cooling and put that in the slot which will be getting choked off.

They will run at what ever clock you have them set at. If you leave them at stock, one will run at 880 and the other at 890.

Each frame rendered by the cards will have ever so slightly different speeds of being rendered. Each card renders every other frame, so they really don't have to be the same exact clock to function. However, a large disparity may result in something similar to a microstutter, but it probably needs to be a huge difference to see something like that.

Solution