need help with diagnostic tools.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 9, 2005 3:13:49 PM

I have Toshiba Satellite laptop. When I bought computer it was $650.00.
The LCD screen is not good. Half of the screen is OK, but another half
is black. Other than that there is no problem with computer.

I have inquired about repair cost. Seems to be around $300.00.
My understanding is that out of $300.00 $250.00 will go to buy a new
screen, and the rest goes for labor.

Maybe if I diagnose the problem myself I will find that the part to
replace costs much less? Maybe it is not the whole screen but just some
part, and I can do it myself?

Any ideas?

subject:need help with diagnostic tools.
comp.sys.laptops

More about : diagnostic tools

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 9, 2005 9:26:37 PM

For another $300 you can buy a brand new laptop.

"Mark" <tentimes5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have Toshiba Satellite laptop. When I bought computer it was $650.00.
> The LCD screen is not good. Half of the screen is OK, but another half
> is black. Other than that there is no problem with computer.
>
> I have inquired about repair cost. Seems to be around $300.00.
> My understanding is that out of $300.00 $250.00 will go to buy a new
> screen, and the rest goes for labor.
>
> Maybe if I diagnose the problem myself I will find that the part to
> replace costs much less? Maybe it is not the whole screen but just some
> part, and I can do it myself?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> subject:need help with diagnostic tools.
> comp.sys.laptops

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2005 1:41:57 AM

On 9 Jul 2005 11:13:49 -0700, "Mark" <tentimes5@hotmail.com> wrote:

> and I can do it myself?

if u had to ask, proly no.

the only diagnostic tool u need is a flashlight. Shine this to the
dark side. do u still see outlines of icons, etc. if so, u have a bad
backlight. This should be cheaper to replace than the whole screen,
but logic many time fails.

If u look hard enough, and know what u are looking for, u can get
cheap used laptops for the price of the repair.

---------------
If your business is looking for quick free consulting,
please ignore my replies. I only wish to reply to other
engineers/administrators and home users who are stuck
and not interested to give your business free consulting.

Thank you.
Related resources
July 10, 2005 12:07:32 PM

thanks a lot
July 10, 2005 12:32:08 PM

I have used a flashlight. Can not see. There is a palm tree in middle
of the screen, but I can not see the other half of it.
I have tried the following:
Have made a "New Folder" icon.
Moved and dropped this icon just a little bit into the dark part of the
screen, so I can not see it but know the place where it is located.
Then try to open it . It does open it.
Does it matter?
Does it mean that it is a bad backlight?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2005 8:33:24 PM

As bobb pointed out in his reply to your post, if you shine a flashlight
onto the affected area of the screen and you CAN see the desktop icons, a
bad backlight is the probable culprit. If you CAN'T see anything, your
screen is history. Again, I would point out that a brand new laptop can be
had for $600.

!