X9DAi how do I get those 4 extra SATA ports to work?

stubbs

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I can not figure out hot to get the SATA ports to work that come on that extra cable with the big connector. The connector seems to plug into a port on the motherboard called I-SAS/SATA in the manual. But those sata disks attached to those silver cables will not show up. Also there is a 5th connector on that combined cable which is not a SATA connector. Looks more like something that plug into the motherboard as well...

can somebody enlighten me on how I am able to use those 4 extra SATA ports?

Is that with a SATA HDD attached to one of those greyed out ports? The AMI BIOS is suppose to automatically detect and display the status of any attached SCU devices on those ports.

stubbs

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
yes there are HDDs attached to some (but not all) of the ports...
Would it happen to have something to do with that 5th connectot which isnt a SATA connector? Where is it supposed to plug in? What does it do? I do not have it connected anywhere at the moment...

The fifth connector you're talking about is the "P4" SAS sideband connector.

Do you have a SAS Backplane to connect it to? If no then you don't need to use it.

stubbs

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
(no i dont have a backplane)

so either the cable or that ISAS port must be broken? Those grey cables are pretty stiff... do they break quickly when they get bent? Which would be weird because you need to stash the excess cable somewhere in the case...