Sign in with
Your question

Memtest86

Last response: in Memory
July 10, 2012 5:25:23 PM

Hello everyone, I built an i5 2500k rig awhile back and I have had random reboot issues and some USB power loss issues (mouse and keyboard lose power until i switch them to different usb ports) so finally I ran memtest86 on just 1 stick of my G.skill ddr3 1600. I took a picture of where it froze up and was wondering if this is normal for memtest86 or if my stick has issues? I had no usb power as well when i took this picture. http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/9219/memtestq.jpg, this is the image. My motherboard is a asrock z68 extreme3 gen3. Any help is appreciated thanks!

More about : memtest86

July 10, 2012 5:38:40 PM

I have never encountered anything like that before. What happens when you run memtest with another stick of RAM?
m
l
July 10, 2012 5:40:48 PM

I have not tried that yet, it is the first time its happend to me, so i immiediately posted it in hoping of a response. I hope its a bad stick and not a bad dimm slot.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
July 10, 2012 5:52:40 PM

Quote:
... I have had random reboot issues and some USB power loss issues ...

Time to do breadboard testing.

Assemble the motherboard and expansion cards outside of the computer case and test it.

If you don't encounter the problem anymore then look for any extra motherboard standoff posts on the case's motherboard tray that don't exactly line up with a mounting hole on the motherboard and remove them.

If everything works then reassemble it all back into the case and test it.
m
l
July 10, 2012 5:56:12 PM

I will try that once i clarify some more info on my image of memtest86, any ideas if that is normal for memtest86 or no?
m
l
a b } Memory
July 10, 2012 5:59:18 PM

nkseal said:
I will try that once i clarify some more info on my image of memtest86, any ideas if that is normal for memtest86 or no?

How can that be normal?

Memtest86 should not be showing any errors or abnormalities if everything is working properly.
m
l
July 10, 2012 6:14:27 PM

Well I dont know if that is abnormal or not, and I could not see the error screen so I do not know if there were errors. I am asking if those patterns are a test or what or if it just went crazy and errored out.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 10, 2012 6:51:07 PM

nkseal said:
Well I dont know if that is abnormal or not, and I could not see the error screen so I do not know if there were errors. I am asking if those patterns are a test or what or if it just went crazy and errored out.

Your picture is not showing a test pattern. It's system corruption.
m
l
July 10, 2012 6:53:00 PM

then that is quite possible that i have a bad stick of memory? or what?
m
l
a b } Memory
July 10, 2012 7:00:42 PM

nkseal said:
then that is quite possible that i have a bad stick of memory? or what?

It looks more severe than a bad RAM module.

If only a RAM module is bad Memtest86 would specify the details of the error not a corrupted screen like you're seeing.

Are you testing one RAM module at a time?

Running more than one module at a time at this moment is useless because you haven't proven that each module is capable of running error free.
m
l
July 10, 2012 8:18:09 PM

Yes I only tested 1 stick in the B2 slot of this motherboard, it most likely is a bad motherboard and thats what i have been thinking from the begining.
m
l
July 10, 2012 9:20:12 PM

Can anyone suggest another motherboard for me, i5 2500k...I have the asrock extreme3gen3 z68 motherboard...however I believe this is the reason I am having issues...I remailed my first one because it had a dead PCI-E slot and this 2nd one has given me nothing but problems since day one and I am finally have some time to actually fix it...this computer has hardly any play time on it because I have had issues but no time to address them. I would like something that is solid and can overclock well and still utilize my sandybridge processor...i like the asrock board because it is ready for future expansion...do i dare attempt to order another board exactly like this and try my luck? or what should I do?
m
l
July 10, 2012 11:45:57 PM

bump
m
l
a b } Memory
July 11, 2012 4:53:22 PM

I think "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." applies here.

Looking at the Customer Feedback, sorted by lowest rated, for the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 it shows a high number of DOAs and defects. Do you really want to take the chance of getting another defective board?

What is your budget?
m
l
July 11, 2012 8:46:32 PM

I would like to stay in that $150 range, however I may have lucked out, I went back through and reseated everything and dusted everything out and came across a bad spot in my front case USB cable, it had bare wires showing which were touching my power supply, this may have caused a grounding issue causing my USB problem and my Rebooting problem. Ill post back with results if the issues persist. If they do, I would still like to find a new board in that $150 range with similar featurs as the asrock extreme3 gen3, thanks!
m
l
a b } Memory
July 12, 2012 12:06:15 AM

nkseal said:
... came across a bad spot in my front case USB cable, it had bare wires showing which were touching my power supply, this may have caused a grounding issue causing my USB problem and my Rebooting problem. ...

That's exactly why I suggested breadboard testing in my original reply.

Since the shorted out USB cable wouldn't have been connected to the motherboard your troubleshooting would have gone smoother.
m
l
July 12, 2012 12:42:23 AM

Ya but it wasnt the problem...i unhooked it and im still having issues, the motherboard is simply a pile of junk. Any thoughts on a replacement board other than Asrock anyone?
m
l
a b } Memory
July 12, 2012 1:13:38 AM

nkseal said:
Ya but it wasnt the problem...i unhooked it and im still having issues, the motherboard is simply a pile of junk. Any thoughts on a replacement board other than Asrock anyone?

I've never bought an ASRock motherboard because when they initially came out they were thin and flimsier than the motherboards made by their parent company ASUS.

I've bought ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte and MSI motherboards in the past but never bought any of the cheap models in those brands. I've always bought a mid-range or top range model.

My last motherboard, that I bought, was the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro which has served me quite well so far.
m
l
!