Still trying to decide on a Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

macgreen

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah. Though I've been considering the ASUS P8Z77-V LK, it turns out that it doesn't have enough fan headers for the case I've switched to (rather than the HAF 912, I'm getting the Rosewill Future case, which comes with four fans). As the mobo & cpu combo itself is pushing my budget for that particular purchase to the brink, I'm looking for something that's under $150 (so long as S&H isn't too high). I'm still attempting to find another good motherboard.

To that end, I've been considering ASRock, but the fact that several of them are shorter than the standard ATX motherboards makes me wonder if I should worry about that. I've also been considering Gigabyte, MSI, and Biostar as well. I do plan to do a little overclocking with an i5-3570k, so I'm hoping to stick with a Z77 style motherboard. I have a Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler that I'll be installing as well, in case that needs to be considered. Anything with a USB 3.0 connector on the motherboard would be good as well, since the case has a front panel USB 3.0 port on it.

I'd like to spend under $350 for the combo of the mobo and cpu. I don't plan to purchase them until near the beginning of August, however, so I do expect the prices to fluctuate slightly. Any suggestions for a motherboard would be great.

Solution
U can definitely use this one -> ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 -> ... Latest Z77...

I just build PC with this mobo and I like the BIOS, its looks like this.

Works as expected @ 4.4GHz

ASRock%20Z77%20Extreme4%20BIOS%2001%20-%20Main_575px.png

That is a great mobo choice for the CPU. It has good power design for OC.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0387554

Z77%20Extreme4(m).jpg

U can definitely use this one -> ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 -> ... Latest Z77...

I just build PC with this mobo and I like the BIOS, its looks like this.

Works as expected @ 4.4GHz

ASRock%20Z77%20Extreme4%20BIOS%2001%20-%20Main_575px.png

That is a great mobo choice for the CPU. It has good power design for OC.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0387554

Z77%20Extreme4(m).jpg

Solution

macgreen

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I've been looking at that one- actually, I read another thread where you suggested the same board as well. I also noticed that the RAM that that person was going to get was too tall when one took into account the Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler, which makes me wonder if I'll have the same issue with the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM that I've had picked out for a while now.

The ASRock Extreme4 & i5-3570k combo on Newegg is about $348 and has free shipping- which keeps it in my price range (and saves me about $15 over the ASUS & CPU combo). The fact that it's smaller than the average board, and doesn't 'connect' to the last set of screws in the case for support makes me wonder if it's likely to warp/flex from the heat or anything since it's not held up in the same places as other boards are.

Though, since it seems that the board is fairly well liked, I'm guessing that hasn't been an issue as of yet.

nkseal

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I personally have had nothing but issues with asrock and am considering that same ASUS motherboard myself, if anyone has any insight on the ASUS P8Z77-V LK please let me know.

nkseal

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Random reboots almost like it loses power...and USB freeze ups...I have tested everything...ram with memtest86, video cards, i literally have spent hours trying to trouble shoot and the only thing that could be wrong with these symptoms at this point is the motherboard...i have a pc power and cooling 750w psu that i swapped out with a known good corsair 650w because i thought the corsair was bad..but it is not. This is my 2nd asrock extreme3 gen3 board and iv had these issues for months now just have not had time to fix it.

U are talking about the Z68, Z77 is completely different mobo and chipset.

nkseal

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I have the hyper 212 and it keeps my SB overclocked to 4.5ghz perfectly cool at about 35c underload and 45-50 load. My overclock is not the issue of the motherboard either if anyone comments about it because I have had these issues before I overclocked...and I also am now not overclocked trying to test and figure my issues out. But the hyper212 is a great cooler cant go wrong.

macgreen

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Makes me glad I'm not getting a Z68 board, then. And thanks, Nikorr. I think I've pretty much decided to get the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mobo- it's got all the features I'd want it to have (well, that I can expect for the price, anyway), and it should work pretty well with the rest of the PC components I've picked out.

And one more thing. Z68 was only with 2 year warranty, Z77 has 3 years warranty.

I never recommended Z68 ASRock, without ASUS first.

This time, I feel that prices are $20-$30 up from what they should be on ASUS boards.

And ASRock came out with great mobo.

nkseal

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
It may be good, but I am a little discouraged and so is my wallet because of my issues with their z68 board which shyes me away from them, is the asus board i mentioned an appropriate upgrade? give me some insight thanks!

When I am building PC for somebody, they are usually there. They complain how this part sucks or that one....

Than I see how they are holding the parts in their bare hands . I am not surprised that they have higher failure rate than others. I use surgical gloves. I have no problems with that, its for short time.

And nobody is calling me back with failed parts. Maybe I am lucky, but static electricity is a ....

I am not pushing it on u : )

Ill reply in your thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.