Sign in with
Your question

Just Bought a Dell Inspiron 620 ST, opinions?

Last response: in Systems
July 19, 2011 6:38:56 AM

Desktop: Dell Inspiron 620 Slim Tower - $499
Monitor: Dell ST2220L 21.5-inch Wide Flat Panel Monitor with LED

There was a special deal going on for today only where the Dell Inspiron 620 Slim Tower was only for $499 when it was originally $794.99. I thought this was an INCREDIBLE deal for the parts and I desperately needed a new computer and didn't want to wait any longer to save up more money. (Only had $500.)

I just want your opinion on this deal and if you think there is any way possible for me to upgrade it. I know it is a Slim Tower which means it is really small, therefore not much room to replace anything and it is also prebuilt by Dell.. soo yeah.

Specs:

OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
MICROSOFT SOLUTIONS: Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
SERVICE PLAN: 1 Year Basic Service Plan
MONITORS: Dell ST2220L 21.5-inch Wide Flat Panel Monitor with LED (1920x1080, HDMI, DVI-D, VGA, 5ms)
MEMORY: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 2 DIMMs (I would really want to replace these with 8GB 1600 Ripjaws X Series)
SECURITY SOFTWARE: McAfee SecurityCenter, 30-Day Trial
SYSTEM COLOR: Black Bezel
KEYBOARD: Dell USB Entry Keyboard (This thing really looks dumb if you see the picture in the customization page)
MOUSE: Dell USB Optical Mouse
Inspiron 620 ST: Inspiron 620 Slimtower w/ Black Bezel
PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ i5-2310 processor(6MB Cache, 2.90GHz) (Wish I could change this with i5-2500k)
HARD DRIVE: 1TB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3 (I hope this isn't onboard graphics? Where would I find out about that?)
OPTICAL DRIVE: 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Adobe Software: Adobe® Acrobat® Reader
MEDIA READER: Integrated 8 in 1 Media Card Reader
Network Card: Standard USB 2.0 + 10/100/1000 Ethernet
SOUND CARD: Integrated 5.1
WIRELESS: Dell Wireless 1502 (802.11n) WLAN half mini-Card (Is this an actual wireless card or just a slot to purchase one for?)

Any suggestions? I thought it was a reasonable deal for the specs and my situation with my budget.
July 19, 2011 6:00:50 PM

Thats a dedicated video card... although its only a $40 card... it's plenty fine for any old games or basic internet videos.

it's actually a pretty good deal, even thou its all old generation parts. Figure windows 7 license and monitor each cost $100.... so theres $200 bucks.

So they really only charged $300 for hte hardware... great deal... especially since it will at least have soem sort of warranty
m
l
November 7, 2011 10:39:01 AM

The processor is a quad-core that's only been available since February 2011.
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2012 2:51:30 PM

I have this exact pc except its regular size i guess ATX u call it and need to know if it can take a bigger Power Supply and what type mobo is in it?
m
l
April 5, 2012 6:58:48 PM

chacol said:
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 620 Slim Tower - $499
Monitor: Dell ST2220L 21.5-inch Wide Flat Panel Monitor with LED

There was a special deal going on for today only where the Dell Inspiron 620 Slim Tower was only for $499 when it was originally $794.99. I thought this was an INCREDIBLE deal for the parts and I desperately needed a new computer and didn't want to wait any longer to save up more money. (Only had $500.)

I just want your opinion on this deal and if you think there is any way possible for me to upgrade it. I know it is a Slim Tower which means it is really small, therefore not much room to replace anything and it is also prebuilt by Dell.. soo yeah.

Specs:

OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
MICROSOFT SOLUTIONS: Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
SERVICE PLAN: 1 Year Basic Service Plan
MONITORS: Dell ST2220L 21.5-inch Wide Flat Panel Monitor with LED (1920x1080, HDMI, DVI-D, VGA, 5ms)
MEMORY: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 2 DIMMs (I would really want to replace these with 8GB 1600 Ripjaws X Series)
SECURITY SOFTWARE: McAfee SecurityCenter, 30-Day Trial
SYSTEM COLOR: Black Bezel
KEYBOARD: Dell USB Entry Keyboard (This thing really looks dumb if you see the picture in the customization page)
MOUSE: Dell USB Optical Mouse
Inspiron 620 ST: Inspiron 620 Slimtower w/ Black Bezel
PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ i5-2310 processor(6MB Cache, 2.90GHz) (Wish I could change this with i5-2500k)
HARD DRIVE: 1TB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3 (I hope this isn't onboard graphics? Where would I find out about that?)
OPTICAL DRIVE: 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Adobe Software: Adobe® Acrobat® Reader
MEDIA READER: Integrated 8 in 1 Media Card Reader
Network Card: Standard USB 2.0 + 10/100/1000 Ethernet
SOUND CARD: Integrated 5.1
WIRELESS: Dell Wireless 1502 (802.11n) WLAN half mini-Card (Is this an actual wireless card or just a slot to purchase one for?)

Any suggestions? I thought it was a reasonable deal for the specs and my situation with my budget.

My thoughts: I do not think the monitor comes with this PC, especially at the super sale price. If it does, then this is a VERY good deal since a monitor costs at least another $100. Other than that, I reserched this and cannot reasily find out anything about the mobo either. Which measn it is not clear how many and what type of PCI cards you can add (like a USB 3.0 PIC card). But it looks like the mobo will accept only up to 8 GB of memory (Windows Home Premium can handle up to 16 GB only). The default memory it comes with is 4 BG, but do not opt in for their extra 2 GB for another $60! You can buy DDR3 8 GB memory (2x4GB sticks) for $30-$40 fairly easily. The CPU is quite fast and you will enjoy its speed. The OS is 64 bit, so all 4 GB of memory will be used (32-bit OS handle on upto ~3GB), and you can add another 4 GB. The video card is at the lower end of the high end card, so unles you are a heavy gamer, this will suffice nicely.

Generally, Dell is over priced substantially enough to buy HP. Also, it does not look like Dell is offering a Widnows CD, which is very poor since recovering is a major pain without the Windows CD! HP offers this on almost all purchases, but for an extra cost of $20.

Vincent
m
l
!