Help! Power Surge happened and I don't know what's wrong.

Harunopel

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I have a problem, and usually when I need a solution, my Google searches bring me to this website. And from my experiences, if anyone can help me, the community at Tom's Hardware can.

So there was a thunderstorm the other day and the power flickered on and off. I was on my computer, which was plugged into a surge protector, and it wouldn't start back up. My other computer and devices that were also plugged into the surge protector all rebooted fine. But there was this smell like something had burnt that me and my family had noticed.

I assumed it had fried my power supply since the burnt smell seemed to come from it, but after leaving it alone for a while, the computer booted up. The problem is my monitor shows that there is no HDMI input.

So I figured it was something to do with my graphics card. Thinking so, I tried my other HDMI cable that was working on my other computer, but no input again. I tried a DVI cable, yet again no input for DVI either. I swapped my other computer graphics card into it, again nothing.

Now, I assume that it is my motherboard. Here are some things that happen:

-I turn it on, and then fans (CPU, PSU, GFX Card, 3 Case) work and all of the LEDs (that are supposed to be lit according to the manual) light up on the board.

-There is a faint, high-pitched noise that emits from the PSU, but it dies out quickly.

-No beeps come from the motherboard.

-I have connected my back-lit keyboard and it does light up.

-I can hear the HDD work/spin.

-My disc drive can open and close.

-The light behind where you plug in an ethernet cable flashes as it normally does.

-No input displayed on the monitor.

-There is no visual indication that the board had fried.

What I have already tried:

-Swapped GFX Card with a known working one.

-Switched the HDMI cable with a known working one and then with a DVI cable.

-Swapped monitor with a known working one. (Used the known working HDMI cable.)

-I have reconnected some of the key wires (24-pin, CPU Cable, GFX Cable).

-I have reseated the RAM and have done the single RAM test, and the computer did the same when both were isolated.

-Reset the CMOS on the board.

I'm still stuck with my monitor displaying "HDMI No Signal."

Any ideas or further advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Does your MB have onboard video? connect the LCD to it or disable it in the BIOS. CMOS reset might have turned it back on. Also you can test the MB by disconnecting everything and removing all the RAM. Turn it on. Do you get beeps ? (assuming you connected the little speaker to the MB)

Harunopel

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
No, the MB doesn't have onboard video.

I will try to disconnect everything tomorrow morning, but before I do, what "little speaker" do I connect to my MB?

kroeger

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Have you tried swapping the RAM of another system that's working?

If not I would suggest you try that.

Remove the Gfx card before removing and installing the ram.