Trying to run win7 a with Nvidia 6200 video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahh-nuts

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hello,
I'm trying to run win7 a with Nvidia 6200 card, which Nvidia claims supports DX11 with Fermi architecture. BS!,the display crashes 6 times a day! This card is made to fit a PCI slot, not a PCI Express slot. Doesn't DX11 require at least a PCI Expansion slot to run? I understand also that win7 is based on DX11. If this is true, will I need to upgrade my motherboard to one with a PCI Express slot? Or, is there an adapter/converter from PCI to PCI Express x16? Thanks!

Helltech

Distinguished
Ok it doesn't support DX11, and it isn't Fermi. Where do you see these claims?

The card is probably dieing/going bad and that is the causes of the crashes. It could also be overheating, make sure it is clean of dust, the fan is working, you have the latest drivers, and check the tempuratues with MSI Afterburner.

Also I could be wrong (there might be more then one version that supports PCI), but the 6200 is an AGP card, not PCI, again there could be both versions.

Ahh-nuts

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
In the card's control panel says it is DX11. Also, I read in Cnet and other reviews that Nvidia developed Fermi architecture to support DX11. I think you're right though, it could be an earlier version, two other versions have letters after the name GE and something else. Not sure what AGP means.

Ahh-nuts

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

Helltech

Distinguished
Your operating system supports DX11, new hardware architecure supports DX11. Just becuase you have a new driver, doesn't upgrade your hardware. You are running on a DX11 operating system, so it will report as DX11, however the card does not allow you to do anything that is DX11 significant (hell I don't even think it has DX10 perks).

If you didn't understand that, just trust me on this, that card does NOT support DX11, or DX10. The only cards that supports DX11 are GTX 400 and GTX 500 series as well as HD 5000 and HD 6000 series graphics cards.

Ahh-nuts

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I'm sure you're right. I did download a manual for the motherboard though, and found the AGP slot. It accomodates only a 1.5V AGP card. I'm not sure yet what votage the Gforce 6200 is, if 1.5V, I'll move the card to see if it stops the monitor crashing at least. The motherboard is an ASUS P4P800-E. I noticed it also had a slot for WiFi that I didn't know about.
The GTX 400 and 500 series requires a PCI Express slot which the board doesn't have. Probably the HD 5000 and 6000 cards need PCIe too. You've given me a lot to go on, and that helps me toward a good solution, thanks much for that, Helltech.
Best,
Ahh-nuts

Helltech

Distinguished
I'm am by no means suggesting a GTX 400 or 500, HD 5000 or 6000, or a DX11 compatible card for your setup. I'm just saying those are the DX11 compatible cards.

Look back at my first post to talk about fixing the issue. Its a heat, or power, or driver issue.

Ahh-nuts

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I found this at http://nvidiagraphicscards.com/nvidia-geforce-6200-pci-information.php

Wow! This card is old! Nvidia never includes the letters PCI after the 6200 when I look at their website's products section. This webpage came up in Google. Maybe the card does belong in the PCI slot, afterall. I'll still look to see if it fits in the AGP slot.

webpage:
About the GeForce 6200 PCI
The Nvidia GeForce 6200 PCI was released in the year 2005. The GeForce 6200 PCI cards had a PCI interface and came with a core clock speed of up to 350MHz. The best specification GeForce 6200 PCI supported a maximum of 256MB of memory which had a clock speed of 400MHz. The maximum memory bandwidth was 3.2GB/s. The Nvidia GeForce 6200 PCI supported DirectX version 9.0c and OpenGL 2.0.

Helltech

Distinguished
Ahh I see it did come in a PCI flavor, as did a lot of old cards, originally it was AGP however. I thought that might be the case. Regardless it wont fit in the incorrect slot anyway.

Worring about the slot isn't your problem. The slot it is in or came in (unless you changed it) is the correct one.

Ahh-nuts

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Yes, I understand about the card info, and thanks. I've worked through the heat, power and driver issues before. Everything is up to spec with drivers updated. It looks like I'm just trying to pull win7 with a horse and buggy. Probably time to upgrade. Thanks again, Helltech.
Best,
Ahh-nuts

Ahh-nuts

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hmmm, I just noticed something written in the motherboard manual - "The PCI 5 slot and the Wi-Fi slot cannot be used at the same time."
There's a fax card in slot 5 and another card in the WiFi slot, but I'm not sure what it is, maybe a WiFi card. I'll move the fax card to see if it helps and post you later.

Yes, win 7 does run, it just crashes the video card all the time. I've been fighting this problem for 2 years along with many others who post the same problem on the net.

Ahh-nuts

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Once inside the case, I discovered there is no WiFi card in the slot, and the fax card is in slot 4. Slot 5 has nothing except the case hole cover has a firewire socket screwed into it, from the motherboard.
So it's slot 1 nothing, slot 2 Gforce 6200 PCI, slot 3 nothing, slot 4 fax card, slot 5 nothing. Plenty of ventilation, no overheating, and the power supply is 350W.
I went into CMOS and made the following changes just to see what would happen:
chipset - graphics priority from AGP/PCI to PCI/AGP
appeture - from 64mb to 32mb (I'm running win 7; seems to match the 32 bit OS)
turbo boost - from auto to standard (maybe turbo was too much for my setup to handle)

I don't now what else to do. Should I have left the CMOS as it was?

Status
Not open for further replies.