Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz or Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33 GHz

Hi. I do not know which one of these two to pick: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz or Intel® Core™2 2.66 Ghz Quad Desktop Processor 2.66. Can you help me out? Thank you so much. :)
19 answers Last reply
More about intel core quad intel core
  1. Why are you buying outdated technology????
  2. It is for my mom's old iMac from 2006.
  3. Ex Somnio said:
    It is for my mom's old iMac from 2006.

Get the Quad.Quads are common and the software support has since indeed increased.

But In my opinion you could save some money for a new build.
  4. get the quad
  5. make sure that the motherboard supports core cpu's not al 775 sockets will do so, what is the current processor?
  6. The 2006 iMac models used mobile processors not desktop processors. The socket will be different to the desktop parts.
  7. It has a 2.16 Ghz Dual Core. Can I put a quad core on it?
  8. Ex Somnio said:
    It has a 2.16 Ghz Dual Core. Can I put a quad core on it?

I have never dealt with Macs so please clarify:
    Is your pc a laptop or desktop?
  9. The best that model can go up to is a mobile Core 2 duo. It is using socket M. So the fastest processor you can get for it is a Intel Core 2 Duo T7600. Which has a clock speed of 2.33GHZ. Not worth taking the machine apart for, as iMac's are not the easiest things to get into.
  10. ghnader hsmithot said:
    I have never dealt with Macs so please clarify:
    Is your pc a laptop or desktop?

It is an iMac.
  11. blobby91 said:
    The best that model can go up to is a mobile Core 2 duo. It is using socket M. So the fastest processor you can get for it is a Intel Core 2 Duo T7600. Which has a clock speed of 2.33GHZ. Not worth taking the machine apart for, as iMac's are not the easiest things to get into.

Are you sure? This page tells me otherwise: http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?BoardName=DG45ID
  12. Ex Somnio said:

The page you just linked to is for desktop and above parts.

You have a 2006 Imac, which has a socket M. The fastest processor you can get for that is a 2.33GHZ mobile core 2 duo.
  13. blobby91 said:
    The page you just linked to is for desktop and above parts.

You have a 2006 Imac, which has a socket M. The fastest processor you can get for that is a 2.33GHZ mobile core 2 duo.

This one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116419
  14. Ex Somnio said:

No that is socket 775.

Your best bet will be ebay for a socket M chip, as its a laptop chip. The product you need to look for is a Core 2 Duo T7600
  15. blobby91 said:
    No that is socket 775.

Your best bet will be ebay for a socket M chip, as its a laptop chip. The product you need to look for is a Core 2 Duo T7600

Thank you for your help, sir.
  16. Ex Somnio said:
    Thank you for your help, sir.

Your welcome. If you cannot find the T7600 for socket M, look for socket PPGA478. As it is the same thing.
  17. blobby91 said:
    Your welcome. If you cannot find the T7600 for socket M, look for socket PPGA478. As it is the same thing.

Would you even recommend getting it if it is just a slight upgrade from 2.16 Ghz to 2.33? Iti s only 7.87% faster.
  18. Ex Somnio said:
    Would you even recommend getting it if it is just a slight upgrade from 2.16 Ghz to 2.33? Iti s only 7.87% faster.

I would not personally recommend it. Depending on what your mum uses it for, I doubt she would notice the small speed bump.

How much RAM does the iMac have in it, as putting in some more RAM could be a better option. If you go down the RAM route it should be laptop RAM that the machine uses.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Intel Quad Product