Phenom 955 vs 1055

G

Hello,
I was wondering if i schould upgrade to a quad or hexa core Phenom II. I want to pair it with 8Gb DDR3-1600 Ram and a Geforce GTX460 1Gb. Will the Phenom II x4 955 for example be fast enough to run Battlefield 3 + a media player at the same time? ( I very much enjoy listening to music while playing) Or will a Phenom II X6 1055T be a better choice?
I would love to play at 1920x1080 at high or medium to high details.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I Agree with rolli59, If i were you, i'd get a bulldozer now because those Phenom is ganna be on the bottom line soon... In few years or so, games ganna utilize/use more cores or more than 4 cores... You get higher clock speed on the FX and up to 4.7GHz on air cooling...

G

Well i'm not that much into overcloaking. I will probably adjust the ram to 1600 and reduce the multiplier of the cpu since i will run it with a stock cooler at the start.
The Mainboard, cpu, ram and graphics were given/left to me but the Phenom II X2 555 is completly unsatisfying and i am not able to unlock the additional cores. It barely feels faster then my previous Core2Duo E7300@3Ghz.
Is there more to unlocking the cpu cores than checking "unlock cpu cores" in the Mainboard's Bios? It does nothing so I'm assuming there isnt anything to unlock. (Mainboard: Msi 770 C45 )
The reason i want to get a replacement for the X2 555 is that i am not even able to play Battlefield Bad Company 2 at acceptable frame rates at high quality details. ( or even medium details at some point ...)
Switching the graphics card to something more powerful yields the same results, updating drivers didn't do anything and even reinstalling Windows 7 x64 didn't do the trick.
That's why i thought i need something more powerful like a quad core or even a hexa core to get gaming going.

Some numbers: The maximum fps i get at low settings at 1920x1080 at BFBC2 is 42.... Now imagine i try BF3 like this :)

^-1
First time I post minus one!
Currently especially for gamers it is advisable to stay away from the FX CPU's, it is not known if their deficiencies are simply software or hardware related.

G

Alright i bought the Phenom II x4 955 and even without overcloaking i see a vast difference. Almost triple the amout of fps over all settings. I wonder if my X2 555 was broken?

Thanks for the help rolli59!