"P5 series motherboards must include the original CPU socket cover"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tek7

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I'll save you all the sob story about the hours and hours and HOURS I've spent trying to cobble together a new-to-me PC and cut to the important part:

I've received a RMA number from ASUS after determining that my P5KPL-CM is indeed the reason my system won't boot. I had the mainboard packed up nice and neat and ready to take to the local shipping store when I read the RMA information e-mail and found:

P5 series motherboards must include the original CPU socket cover

Trouble is, I don't have the original CPU socket cover.

:(

I know it's an old board and I know it's a longshot, but does anyone have a spare ASUS P5 series CPU socket cover? Apparently ASUS wants the exact same CPU cover as comes with P5 series mainboards. I'm definitely willing to reimburse the cost of shipping by Paypal.

I know I don't have many posts on these forums and most are from years ago, but a helpful hand would be very, very much appreciated.

Tek7

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I already called ASUS and the tech I spoke with said the CPU socket cover is required. :(

Tek7

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I have my doubts any shops would have a CPU socket cover for that specific series (especially since the series is so old now), but it's certainly worth a shot. I'll plan to call around tomorrow.

In the meantime, if anyone on these forums has a spare, please let me know! Again, I'd be willing to reimburse for shipping.

Tek7

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
In a highly unlikely turn of events, the second local computer store I called earlier this week happened to have a socket 775 cover and were even so kind as to give it to me for free!

I've since shipped the mainboard to RMA, so now I'm just waiting for them to get it, repair it (I hope), and ship it back.

I'm glad you followed my advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.