Amd 1090t vs fx 4100 vs Phenom II X4 965

Nope, for Gaming the 965 is better and cheaper.

So, P/P is 965 (OC to 4Ghz or 3.9Ghz would be good enough), then could be the FX-4100 (but taking it to 4.5Ghz is a must) and then the 1090T.

Keep in mind that's gaming only. If you want threading power, then the 1090T comes before the 965 IMO.

Cheers!

EDIT: lil' mistake

No, the 8 core FX 8150 competes with the 1090t and is bassically on par on benches that take advantage of all cores. BD is not very quick. For new games like BF3, BFBC2, Mafia two, etc. the two cores really come in handy. The new quad core bulldozer is a waste of money considering the that the phenom ii X4 is faster. Don't advise him a BD quad core that will perform like garbage.... 1090t is the perfect AMD gaming CPU now days because games still don't use all 8 threads a 8120 or 8150 has to offer but will destroy a X4 in modern games.

While I do agree that the FX4100 could be a waste down the road, I don't agree that a 8120 is a better buy than the 1090T at all.

I'll give you that, down the road, the 965 could be put in third place easily, right now is not far behind (in games) to justify the extra price for the 1090T or the 8120.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested/8

If you look at the CPU testing for the games, the 965 (represented by the 980) still has a lot to give and hardly become obsolete in the near future. And since I cannot guarantee that "new" games will use more than 4 cores actively, the 1090T and 8120 are hard to recommend right now IMO.

Cheers!

I would not recommend a 8120, they are not very good unless are cores are active. The 1090t on the other hand can be used in modern games. Not the COD series, but BFBC2 and BF3, Mafia II, and there are a few more I cannot remember, but it will be more widely used soon. If he has the money, go for it.

But barely. Only by .4Ghz when all cores are active. But when you do anything that supports more cores, especially in the near future, the 1090t will blow away the X4.

I got mine running at 4.1Ghz with stock voltage, I really doubt a 1090T could reach that high with stock voltages. So I'm a little biased towards the 965 :p

I wonder what's the price difference for the OP, now that we got down to it. I've seen price differences as high as 40USD. Got any counter examples for that?

Cheers!

Depends on where your at, but $40 for me. Im assuming you mean the 955 vs the 1090.

Worth it though if you will still be using your system in some capacity 5 years from now. The extra core matters more as system loads increase. And they always do over time.

For example, Intel had quads and duals 4 years ago that had about the same performance, but today the quads have a clear advantage. Same will hold true with the X6 vs the X4 in 4 years.

I really understand what you're saying, but I'm sure the 4 cores will run a long 4 years. Dual cores have been around since 2003 (or close) in x86, right? So we've had at least 6 or 7 years of "service" for dual cores at the top/middle.

I really think quads will last a solid 4 years from now even (making it another 6-7 years cycle). What worries me though, is the throughput of next gens. But that's another story.

Cheers!

Phenom II X4 is already starting to show some age compared to it's Intel counterpart. I would grab the X6. An X4 will not hold four more years. It is already two years old. Give it another 2 or 3 if your lucky.

Dave1990

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

There are no video games here or in the near future that require 6 cores. You are advising people to deliberately waste money.

Why not just recommend a mac? You're under this assumption that CPUs have a big effect in video games, but they very much don't. Not only that, but you're recommending a CPU that's more expensive and hardly better. I wouldn't even call it better. And the things it's considered "better" for have absolutely nothing to do with video games.

Please don't recommend people X6 cores when 80% of the games today don't utilize more than 2. It makes you look stupid.

And the 965 is not "showing it's age". It's one of the best price-performance CPUs out there. I don't own one anymore since I switched to an i2500K, but you certainly don't need a better CPU than a 965 for video games. There will be no performance gain in doing so.

The Mysterious Guy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011

Just Help Me to Overclock my 955. How Far will it go on stock voltage ?

I can name some 6-threaded apps. BF3, BFBC2, Mafia2, and from what I can tell, games are heading that direction.

I would bet you could hit 3.7 pretty easily on stock voltage. If you are lucky, somewhere in the 4Ghz area. Maybe up the voltage .1 if it isn't stable. P2s don't actually need the stock voltage they come with. You could down-volt.

I am just stunned at how many people think computer are just expensive gaming consoles. The vast majority of users do not use computers for gaming. At least not gaming as you would think of it.

Unless I missed something, and maybe I did, the OP said nothing about gaming.