12GB of ram and computer is slower than when they were just 4GB

ok so heres my problem originaly i had 2X2GB adata 1600 rams then 5 months ago i got 2X4GB 1333 team rams...so i installed all 4 together couldnt get em to work in dual channel mode well more like i was too busy to work on it , anyway ive noticed my computer is runing a tad too slow .....slower than when it had only 4GBs of ram it takes around 3 mins to boot the windows now and like 6-10 to start it up and start the antivirus and the msn and google talk....i was hoping anyone could help me figure out whats wrong and why its runing so slow now , thanks in advance
also my specs are :
Intel Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz
MB : Gigabyte-P55-USB3L
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450,EVGA SC
RAM : 12288 MB DDR3 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 666.2 MHz (4:20) @ 9-9-9-24
Slot 1 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : A-Data Technology
Slot 2 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : A-Data Technology
Slot 3 : 4096MB (10700)
Slot 3 Manufacturer : Team Group Inc.
Slot 4 : 4096MB (10700)
Slot 4 Manufacturer : Team Group Inc.
Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
HDD:500GB caviar green
39 answers Last reply
More about 12gb computer slower
  1. any ideas??
  2. and i did scan for everything possible no viruses and no malwares of anykind , even used another computer to scan my hard drive and no its not an overheating probalem i checked all temps and theres no dust in my case i clean it once every 5-7 days
  3. guess no one knows whats wrong....
  4. Make sure the same module size is installed in the same color slots. Your PC won't boot faster with more memory becasue all of it has to be tested.
  5. GhislainG said:
    Make sure the same module size is installed in the same color slots. Your PC won't boot faster with more memory becasue all of it has to be tested.

    what do u mean it have to be tested?
  6. Memory is tested at POST and if you install more, then that step takes longer. Windows will also perform some basic memory tests. In addition, the modules run a bit slower than before. You normally install more memory because you need it to run your applications, not because it makes your PC faster.
  7. i didn expect it to be faster but i also didn expect it to start up the OS in longer time which is the main problem it shouldnt take 5-10 mins to start upand by start up i mean loging the windows user and runing the programs at the start up....
  8. If you remove the new modules, does the system boot faster? What happens if you only install the new modules? Do the modules run in dual channel mode? In your original post, you wrote that the 2GB modules are installed in slots 1 and 2. They probably should be in slots 1 and 3 and the 4GB modules in slots 2 and 4.
  9. Changed them to 4 2 4 2 , and no its still slow even after removing them , could a bad hard disk be causing this?
  10. What OS and how is the SATA controller configured? When you installed more memory, the settings may have been reset to their default values and you may need to change them back to what they were before. If using Windows 7, the SATA controller should be in AHCI mode for best performance.
  11. Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit ,SATA was and still is set to IDE ,whats AHCI,keep in mind im still using an ide hard drive and an ide optical drive beside my sata hdd
  12. Are you booting from an IDE drive? Unless you're testing from a clean install, Windows may now take longer to boot because you've installed several applications, etc.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface
  13. no im booting from the SATA drive
  14. Why did you configure the SATA controller in IDE instead of AHCI mode? If I were you, I'd switch it to AHCI mode after following Microsoft's procedure: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 I don't guarantee that it will boot a lot faster, but there should be an improvement.
  15. i didn it was the default ,i never messed with it didn want to try and explore that one guess i shouldve
  16. Run CPU-Z and post screen prints, in this thread, of the CPU-Z's Memory tab page and a SPD tab page for each memory module type.
  17. ko888 said:
    Run CPU-Z and post screen prints, in this thread, of the CPU-Z's Memory tab page and a SPD tab page for each memory module type.



  18. GhislainG said:
    Why did you configure the SATA controller in IDE instead of AHCI mode? If I were you, I'd switch it to AHCI mode after following Microsoft's procedure: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 I don't guarantee that it will boot a lot faster, but there should be an improvement.

    i tried that but it didn detect the optical drive or the ide HDD
  19. The memory appears to be working properly in Dual Channel mode, and at the memory timings I would expect them to be operating at, based on your system's 133.3 MHz base clock.

    That just leaves the HDDs.

    If either of your HDDs has a problem the Windows boot time will be long.

    Check your Windows system event viewer for any Error events that may give you an idea of what is causing the problem.
  20. h3sham said:
    i tried that but it didn detect the optical drive or the ide HDD

    Did Windows boot (presuming that you modified the registry) and was it faster?
  21. There are three storage interface controllers on your motherboard:

    Intel P55 Chipset:
    - 6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0~SATA2_5)

    GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:
    - IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
    - 2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_6 and GSATA2_7)

    iTE IT8720 chip:
    - 1 x floppy disk drive connector supporting up to 1 floppy disk drive

    Your SATA HDD should be connected to the SATA2_0 blue SATA port on the Intel P55 chipset's SATA controller. Don't use the white SATA ports.

    In the motherboard's CMOS Setup Utility --> Integrated Peripherals:

    The PCH SATA Control Mode only affects the SATA ports on the Intel P55 chipset and should be set to [AHCI].

    The Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode should be set to [IDE], otherwise the PATA devices, like your Optical Disk Drive, won't be bootable/usable.
  22. ok now the ahci works , but everything is still the same i guess its just my HDD dying....also why not use the white sata ports?
  23. h3sham said:
    ok now the ahci works , but everything is still the same i guess its just my HDD dying....also why not use the white sata ports?
    The white SATA ports are on the same controller chip as the ATA-133/100/66/33 port.

    You cannot set the Control Mode on individual ports. When you change the Control Mode it affects all of the ports on that controller chip.

    Have you run a Check Disk on that old HDD?

    If you unplug the old HDD does the system boot up quicker? If it does boot up quicker then it's proof that your old HDD has a problem.
  24. ko888 said:
    The white SATA ports are on the same controller chip as the ATA-133/100/66/33 port.

    You cannot set the Control Mode on individual ports. When you change the Control Mode it affects all of the ports on that controller chip.

    Have you run a Check Disk on that old HDD?

    If you unplug the old HDD does the system boot up quicker? If it does boot up quicker then it's proof that your old HDD has a problem.


    thats the problem both HDD are old and i check both with HDtune the 500GB speed test was ok at first then slowed down starting the middle till the end the 40GB which is actually a very loud HDD i can hear it spin to my surprise tested alright also the 500GB had C7 ultra DMA CRC error count of "current 200" worst 188 "threshold 0"data 8787"status warning...i dun even know that is
  25. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3441#sp
    Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules, your ram is at 667mhz

    Usually ram is put into alternating slots like 1 + 3, 2 + 4, for their matching speeds and volumes. You got the 2gb in slots 1 & 2, and the 4gb ram in slots 3 & 4.

    The CPU you have is compatible however, it only supports 2 slots only and at speeds of 1066/1333
    http://ark.intel.com/products/43546/Intel-Core-i5-650-Processor-(4M-Cache-3_20-GHz)

    If you put the 4gb ram into slots 1 & 3, You will get 8gb of ram but at it stands, you have 2gb in slot 1 and 4 gb in slot 3 giving you only 6gb total, slots 2 & 4 being ignored by the CPU (but not the motherboard specs).

    About your hdd, in Bios, set the drives to autodetect. Set your hdd as primary boot, disable any other boot option.
  26. TenPc said:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3441#sp
    Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules, your ram is at 667mhz

    Usually ram is put into alternating slots like 1 + 3, 2 + 4, for their matching speeds and volumes. You got the 2gb in slots 1 & 2, and the 4gb ram in slots 3 & 4.

    The CPU you have is compatible however, it only supports 2 slots only and at speeds of 1066/1333
    http://ark.intel.com/products/43546/Intel-Core-i5-650-Processor-(4M-Cache-3_20-GHz)

    If you put the 4gb ram into slots 1 & 3, You will get 8gb of ram but at it stands, you have 2gb in slot 1 and 4 gb in slot 3 giving you only 6gb total, slots 2 & 4 being ignored by the CPU (but not the motherboard specs).

    About your hdd, in Bios, set the drives to autodetect. Set your hdd as primary boot, disable any other boot option.

    You probably didn't read the whole thread, but I believe the OP already sorted out the memory configuration and ity runs in dual channel mode. The CPU supports 2 channels or 4 slots for a total of 16GB.
  27. h3sham said:
    thats the problem both HDD are old and i check both with HDtune the 500GB speed test was ok at first then slowed down starting the middle till the end the 40GB which is actually a very loud HDD i can hear it spin to my surprise tested alright also the 500GB had C7 ultra DMA CRC error count of "current 200" worst 188 "threshold 0"data 8787"status warning...i dun even know that is

    I wasn't asking about HDTune disk performance.

    I'm asking you if you have run Windows 7's own HDD Error Checking tool to determine if the HDDs have any data integrity problems.
  28. nope i will try that
  29. ko888 said:
    I'm asking you if you have run Windows 7's own HDD Error Checking tool to determine if the HDDs have any data integrity problems.

    Better than that would be the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool. In Seagate's case, the test to run would be the "Long Generic Test" which should have the highest chance of finding something without much risk of losing data - short of the drive deciding to die in mid-test.

    A drive may look fine as far as Windows is concerned, albeit with degraded performance and occasional lag. The manufacturers' tools which monitor internal drive parameters during testing (stuff like correctable read errors) can detect potential problems before they actually cause data loss. SMART is supposed to reflect those but the diagnostic software may dig deeper than what the manufacturers make available though that.
  30. h3sham said:
    nope i will try that

    Make sure that you have the Windows 7 64-bit Intel Chipset Driver and GIGABYTE SATA2 Driver installed.
  31. they are installed....and i decided to get a new HDD and try...question is should i get a caviar black 1TB WD or caviar green ....i heared the caviar green sux .....but for the price of caviar black 1tb i can get a 2tb green so idk
  32. h3sham said:
    they are installed....and i decided to get a new HDD and try...question is should i get a caviar black 1TB WD or caviar green ....i heared the caviar green sux .....but for the price of caviar black 1tb i can get a 2tb green so idk

    My boot and applications drives are SSDs. I only use HDDs for data storage.

    I didn't notice much of a difference between booting with a 10,000 RPM Raptor and a Caviar Black when I use to use HDDs for bootup.

    If you need the data storage space go with the 2TB Green. I don't think your Windows boot time is going to be drastically or noticeably quicker with a Caviar Black.
  33. WD Green is intended to be a low-power drive series. They spin platters at ~5400RPM and manage (limit) actuator power to do so, obviously not a favorite pick for performance.

    They re better suited for archival/backup than OS/application/swap drives.
  34. storage doesnt realy matter i just dun want it dying on me anytime soon...so my question is is the caviar green realy bad?
  35. h3sham said:
    storage doesnt realy matter i just dun want it dying on me anytime soon...so my question is is the caviar green realy bad?

    It's difficult to determine what the reliability is going to be because you don't know how the drive was treated during shipping.

    If it was thrown around during shipping then I wouldn't trust it to be reliable.
  36. so assuming it was handled right it will be reliable and wont die so soon like mine right?
  37. h3sham said:
    so assuming it was handled right it will be reliable and wont die so soon like mine right?

    Yes.
  38. Well ok thanks alot for the help guys ^^
  39. h3sham said:
    so assuming it was handled right it will be reliable and wont die so soon like mine right?

    You can get lemons from any manufacturer and product line no matter how good their track record may be.

    Personally, I have never had an instantaneous total drive failure. All my failed HDDs have at least survived long enough after the point where I find out that the drive might have problems for me to at least get my important data off the drive before dying completely. Most died while formatting before RMA shipping.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Computer Product