Sign in with
Your question

Fps dipping

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 10, 2011 5:54:33 AM

Hi,

I broadcast my gaming to Justin TV and im having an issue where if i have either a game window or video touching the right side of my main display(leading into my second display), the game/video will be sluggish (fps dips to about 30) for about 5 seconds then return to normal for 5 seconds. It only happens when i have Flash media encoder open and recording and only when there is something on my second monitor(It seems it only does it if the thing on my second monitor is flash related content like a stream or the preview window of what im recording.

My main display is 1680x1050
My second display 1920x1280

Im using the latest video drivers and all that good stuff, my pc specs are listed in my sig. If i leave all the programs running on my main display it doesnt do this so its something to do with flash and my second monitor i guess?

Thanks.

More about : fps dipping

a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2011 7:52:05 AM

You are not going to be able to seamlessly let one gaming window intrude into the 2nd montor without taking a severe framehit as the scene will need to be software split/rendered partially onto both monitors. Set your windows' locations* correctly intially, I don't think this is really 'fixable'.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2011 1:08:23 PM

You can run 2 monitors at different resolutions off the same video card?

Is that even possible?
m
l
Related resources
May 11, 2011 1:32:56 AM

geekapproved said:

Is that even possible?

Yep it works fine for me except that situation i mentioned.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
May 11, 2011 1:55:26 AM

It's only the eyefinity, surround and clone setups that prevent the use of different resolutions. For extended desktops, it doesn't matter.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 11, 2011 1:59:34 AM

geekapproved said:

Is that even possible?

haha my friend runs three monitors all at different resolutsions, one in Ladscape mode for reading PDF books, one in 720p for streaming TV/movies, and one at 1920x1200 for gaming.
m
l
May 11, 2011 4:00:26 AM

It improves if i disable desktop composition aka windows aero but i would like to keep that enabled. Its not like the fps dips too low for the game or video to run smooth, it can be at 40 or 120 fps and it will still become sluggish at random points.

Anyone? :) 
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
May 11, 2011 4:34:39 AM

MadCatz900 said:
It improves if i disable desktop composition aka windows aero but i would like to keep that enabled. Its not like the fps dips too low for the game or video to run smooth, it can be at 40 or 120 fps and it will still become sluggish at random points.

Anyone? :) 

Aero does take a lot of resources. I have a script I run to disable it when I'm playing resource hogs of a game. It will turn it off nearly instantly, and back on just as fast. This makes it not such a drag to turn it off when doing something you know will cause problems.

@echo off
sc interrogate uxsms | find "1062"
if %errorlevel%==0 goto :sc_start
sc stop uxsms
exit

:sc_start
sc start uxsms
exit

Put that into a .bat file and just run it when you need to swap back and forth.
m
l
May 11, 2011 4:40:43 AM

bystander said:
Aero does take a lot of resources. I have a script I run to disable it when I'm playing resource hogs of a game. It will turn it off nearly instantly, and back on just as fast. This makes it not such a drag to turn it off when doing something you know will cause problems.

@echo off
sc interrogate uxsms | find "1062"
if %errorlevel%==0 goto :sc_start
sc stop uxsms
exit

:sc_start
sc start uxsms
exit

Put that into a .bat file and just run it when you need to swap back and forth.

Thanks but im looking for a way to keep it enabled and not cause problems (you could also right click the shortcut go to properties>compatibility and tick disable desktop composition. ive been reading through google searches and it seems that windows aero has a v sync issue when using 2 monitors which causes the stuttering.

Its strange because its not as if my system resources are running low when the stuttering occurs, I guess if i cant find a way round it ill disable aero for good :s
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 11, 2011 11:07:58 AM

I think your expecting too much of your PC. More ram, faster CPU and second vid card should fix it though.....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2011 7:00:32 PM

Helltech said:
haha my friend runs three monitors all at different resolutsions, one in Ladscape mode for reading PDF books, one in 720p for streaming TV/movies, and one at 1920x1200 for gaming.

Not with Eyefinity he doesn't.
m
l
May 13, 2011 5:53:22 AM

It seems like ive found a fix to the problem with windows aero and dual monitors, although mine only happened when flash media encoder was open, other people seem to get it anyway.

Credit goes to Twizzlerite for his post near the middle of the page http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprope...

1 "Down to brass tacks. The registry key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\Schedule. The value is FrameRateMin, a DWORD representing the minimum framerate DWM will consider as acceptable. I set it to 60, but you can set it to whatever you want."

2 "So this isn't a solution, but it does help. I am still uncertain of where the problem lies, considering GPU-Z shows graphics card loads to be as low as always when it's happening.

Oh, and I found one more registry value. This one is far more important. :)  It solves the problem for me entirely, from what I can tell.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics

add the DWORD value Force10Level9 with a value of 1.

I haven't noticed any side effects, just smooth performance.

Apply these tweaks at your own risk!"

The registry key of "FrameRateMin" is the one that solves the fps dip, The registry key of "Force10Level9" makes dragging windows smoother. Id say the first one is more important because it removes the fps problem for me.

Im not sure if its a driver issue (Ive tried different ones) or its just windows aero but these fixes work for me, soon as i delete them registry keys the fps dip and sluggish performance comes back when using flash media encoder (other people seem to have this problem with other programs but i dont)

Like i said this fps problem only happens for me when using flash media encoder and dual monitors with windows aero enabled.

One problem is im not sure if "Force10Level9" only forces desktop window manager to direct x 9 or if it forces every application to direct x 9, does anyone know this?
m
l
!