SXGA+ 1400x1050 -> 1280x1024

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2005 6:04:25 PM

I want to move to a laptop.

I have a great desktop 17" LCD Screen rocking at 1280x1024.

I want to able to have my laptop push this exact resolution.

I'm looking into an LG laptop (LS55, LS70) that has 1400x1050
resolution.

Does anybody know, if a laptop that supports 1400x1050 can also display
1280x1024 ?
If so, how does this look on the laptop itself ? does it look stretched
?

Any comments and insights would be greatly welcomed.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2005 6:18:01 PM

ohadpr@gmail.com writes:
> Does anybody know, if a laptop that supports 1400x1050 can also display
> 1280x1024 ?
> If so, how does this look on the laptop itself ? does it look stretched
> ?
>
> Any comments and insights would be greatly welcomed.

It's crazy to use any LCD at anything other than its native resolution.
If you get a 1400x1050 screen, use it as one.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 1:42:27 AM

ohadpr@gmail.com wrote:

> I want to move to a laptop.
>
> I have a great desktop 17" LCD Screen rocking at 1280x1024.
>
> I want to able to have my laptop push this exact resolution.
>
> I'm looking into an LG laptop (LS55, LS70) that has 1400x1050
> resolution.
>
> Does anybody know, if a laptop that supports 1400x1050 can also display
> 1280x1024 ?
> If so, how does this look on the laptop itself ? does it look stretched
> ?
>
> Any comments and insights would be greatly welcomed.

Depends on the way the display is configured--it may stretch or it may
letterbox (i.e. show 1280x1024 in the middle of a 1400x1050 area with black
borders) or it may be settable to do either.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

What would you all suggest then ?

Getting a new external LCD ?

How can I find out how an LG laptop with 1400x1050 would act if
requested to plot 1280x1024 ?

thanks for your comments
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 5:46:01 AM

I'm a programmer, and I work with graphics.

When i bought my 17" Viewsonic I didn't buy it for it's physical
1280x1024 resolution, I bought it because it was good, I'm happy with
1280x1024 now.

The thing is, I want to keep working with it after I purchase a laptop.
>From what the guys here say, it looks like I'm in trouble as I won't be
able to find a laptop with a default of 1280x1024 (which would be best
for me as I get to keep my 17" Viewsonic).

My main question is, if I get an 1400x1050 laptop, will it be able to
also work at 1280x1024 ?
If this is possible, I can use that as the default resolution, and get
to keep my Viewsonic.
The side-quesiton is, should this occur, will the laptop stretch
1280x1024 onto 1400x1050 or will I have a black border ?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 6:35:34 AM

You would need a screen that does a higher res than what you want, you
can then step it down,
1400X1050 is better than what you are using, so it will do fine for
you.
There are also laptops out there with 1600X1200 res.

On 10 Jul 2005 14:04:25 -0700, ohadpr@gmail.com wrote:

>I want to move to a laptop.
>
>I have a great desktop 17" LCD Screen rocking at 1280x1024.
>
>I want to able to have my laptop push this exact resolution.
>
>I'm looking into an LG laptop (LS55, LS70) that has 1400x1050
>resolution.
>
>Does anybody know, if a laptop that supports 1400x1050 can also display
>1280x1024 ?
>If so, how does this look on the laptop itself ? does it look stretched
>?
>
>Any comments and insights would be greatly welcomed.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 3:59:32 PM

Looks like you've answered most of my question :-)
The main quesion I had was wether the 1400x1050 laptops will be able to
work in 1280x1024 mode. If you say it's possible it sounds great.

Now, what happens if you plug your laptop out of the
docking-station/external-screen. How does it display 1280x1024 on it's
1400x1050 screen ? Does it stretch it ? does it leave a black border on
the sides ?

thanks for the info

plated metal wrote:
> ohadpr@gmail.com wrote:
> > I'm a programmer, and I work with graphics.
> >
> > When i bought my 17" Viewsonic I didn't buy it for it's physical
> > 1280x1024 resolution, I bought it because it was good, I'm happy with
> > 1280x1024 now.
> >
> > The thing is, I want to keep working with it after I purchase a laptop.
> >>From what the guys here say, it looks like I'm in trouble as I won't be
> > able to find a laptop with a default of 1280x1024 (which would be best
> > for me as I get to keep my 17" Viewsonic).
>
> Whoa! I think I see your misunderstanding (forgive me if I've got this
> cocked up). You can plug your external monitor into your laptop to use
> as an extra monitor and it can be a different resolution. No problem.
> I'm typing this on my IBM T42 (1400x1050) with a Dell 2005 plugged into
> the DVI port on the laptop dicking station (1680x1050). When I'm at my
> other office, I plug in a Dell 2000 (1600x1200). All run at native
> resolution. (As an aside, I had to alter the default video drivers
> installed by IBM to run greater than 1280x1024 with a DVI connection,
> but that's irrelevant to your problems.) So, just get your laptop and
> plug in your 1280x1024 monitor, and set up the display parameters (right
> click on desktop - properties - settings). Personally I thick it's
> better to connect via DVI as opposed to VGA, but that's not relevant to
> your basic question.
>

> > My main question is, if I get an 1400x1050 laptop, will it be able to
> > also work at 1280x1024 ?
> > If this is possible, I can use that as the default resolution, and get
> > to keep my Viewsonic.
> > The side-quesiton is, should this occur, will the laptop stretch
> > 1280x1024 onto 1400x1050 or will I have a black border ?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2005 2:38:44 AM

!