good website (photo) hosting for $50 a month?

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 16, 2005 2:38:21 AM

Ideally I'd like 1 GB and very high-speed connection. I just need plain old
FTP access for put/get and users to view my simple html galleries. I can't
host my own physical server any more - I got to be mobile.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:38:22 AM

I use lunarpages.com, so far I have been pretty happy with them.

For 1 GB they are way less then $50/month however.

Scott
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:38:22 AM

Dave R knows who wrote:
> Ideally I'd like 1 GB and very high-speed connection. I just need
> plain old FTP access for put/get and users to view my simple html
> galleries. I can't host my own physical server any more - I got to be
> mobile.

Smugmug.com is $35/year for unlimited size/space for photos, $50/year gets
you video upload ability. Is this the type of site you are looking for?

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply
March 16, 2005 2:38:22 AM

"Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> writes:

> Ideally I'd like 1 GB and very high-speed connection. I just need plain old
> FTP access for put/get and users to view my simple html galleries. I can't
> host my own physical server any more - I got to be mobile.

I pay $9.95/month for 1 GB of storage, 30 GB/month of transfer bandwidth at
webmasters.com. I use ftp to upload the site from my Linux system. I've had 2
interruptions in service in the 2 years of use. I don't know what their
speed at connecting to the internet is.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:38:22 AM

"Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> writes:

> Ideally I'd like 1 GB and very high-speed connection. I just need
> plain old FTP access for put/get and users to view my simple html
> galleries. I can't host my own physical server any more - I got to
> be mobile.

You're *way* overpricing it.

You can get a dreamhost.com account for $7.95 a month right now
(St. Patrick's day special; regular price on ly $9.95 though) that
includes 2.4GB storage and 120GB monthly bandwidth and a free domain
name registration and mysql databases and perl cgi and php and daily
backups and so forth. If you've got HTML already, just upload it
(ftp; or sftp over ssh if you prefer) and the images and you're in
business.

See what I mean about rather overpricing it? I'm not claiming they're
the cheapest around. But they're darned cheap *and* they seem to have
good tech support (email only at the cheaper packages like this) and
good reliability. I'm hosting two paying client sites there
currently.

March 16, 2005 3:09:13 AM

On Tue 15 Mar 2005 06:38:21p, Dave R knows who wrote in
rec.photo.digital:

> Ideally I'd like 1 GB and very high-speed connection. I just need
> plain old FTP access for put/get and users to view my simple html
> galleries. I can't host my own physical server any more - I got to be
> mobile.

Actually, if you look around a bit, good hosting can be had for around US
$25/month. I just checked the hosting company I use, and 1G of storage and
30G of transfer is $27; it includes PHP/MySQL, Apache server on (I think)
Red Hat. (http://olm.net/ - no connection other than as a satisfied
customer.) In checking a couple of other sites, that 1G disk space
requirement might be a bit hard to meet. 1 & 1 (http://1and1.com/) starts
with 1G at US$5/month and tosses in the domain name; I haven't used them.

You might want to poke around at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ and see
what the folks there have to say.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:09:14 AM

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:09:13 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Joe Makowiec
<webmaster@munged.brunswicklibrary.org> wrote:
>Actually, if you look around a bit, good hosting can be had for around US
>$25/month. I just checked the hosting company I use, and 1G of storage and
>30G of transfer is $27; it includes PHP/MySQL, Apache server on (I think)
>Red Hat. (http://olm.net/ - no connection other than as a satisfied
>customer.) In checking a couple of other sites, that 1G disk space
>requirement might be a bit hard to meet. 1 & 1 (http://1and1.com/) starts
>with 1G at US$5/month and tosses in the domain name; I haven't used them.

FWIW, I've been with 1and1 (4.95/month) for not quite year and have had
little problem. If you need PHP or custom CGI you'll need the 9:95/month
package.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
March 16, 2005 2:37:23 PM

In article <m3vf7sqtqu.fsf@tiktok.the-meissners.org>,
Michael Meissner <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> wrote:
>"Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> writes:
>
>> Ideally I'd like 1 GB and very high-speed connection. I just need plain old
>> FTP access for put/get and users to view my simple html galleries. I can't
>> host my own physical server any more - I got to be mobile.
>
>I pay $9.95/month for 1 GB of storage, 30 GB/month of transfer bandwidth at
>webmasters.com. I use ftp to upload the site from my Linux system. I've had 2
>interruptions in service in the 2 years of use. I don't know what their
>speed at connecting to the internet is.
>
>--
>Michael Meissner
>email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
>http://www.the-meissners.org

godaddy.com is a great domain name registrar and they have a shopping cart
approach to web hosting and email. I think you can get what you want
for about $4/month plus $9/for the domain name.

I've registered several domain names and bought a basic web hosting
service which I have not moved into, yet. Service has been very good.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:36:46 PM

In article <NlKZd.10945$m31.117682@typhoon.sonic.net>, Dave R knows who
says...
> Ideally I'd like 1 GB and very high-speed connection. I just need plain old
> FTP access for put/get and users to view my simple html galleries. I can't
> host my own physical server any more - I got to be mobile.

Try www.all-inkl.com (the company which hosts my site). Take two
500MB/50GB packages for a total of 1000MB of storage and 100GB of
traffic. PHP, MySql and Perl is included.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal
!