Bios update

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
My pc has froze on me when i was internet browsing. I was wondering if i should update bios. Motherboard is a asus m4a89gtd pro / usb3. The latest bios is a beta version. I don't know if i should upgrade it. Should i take the bet and update the bios?

Examples when to flash the BIOS usually are:

1. New CPU was released
2. Memory compatibility issues + new RAM models are released
3. Remember when the new 2+TB HDD have been released? New BIOS was needed.
4. New hardware support added.
5. Or if u can benefit from changes in the change log.

BIOS updates are always risky for various reasons.
Especially when wrong BIOS is used.

It probably helped because configuration settings were reset to their default value. Make sure that the PSU provides voltages within specs, memory modules should be fully inserted, etc. Flashing the BIOS should be the last thing to try, particularly when it's a beta version. If your system was stable for a long time, then the BIOS definitely isn't the issue. Please provide full system specs as suggested by Nikorr.

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

well here you go

CPU: Amd phemon II x6 1090t clocked at 4.0 ghz @ 1.453V
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231310 <----but times x4
Motherboard: asus m4a89gtd pro
GPU: gigabyte gtx 460
PSU: rosewill 600w psu
HDD: /SSD: seagate barracuda 500 gb
OS type + version: win 7 64 bit

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

once in a while my pc would freeze and i would have to reboot pc but rarely was it bad enough to shut down psu and power it up again cause it wouldn't boot properly.

joedjnpc

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Remove all of your OC's and set your BIOS settings to default. Try find the cause of the issue before risking flashing your BIOS.

Check your temps, make sure nothing is getting too hot.

Try using another PSU, PSU's lose their effectiveness over time.

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
I don't have a spare psu nor do i have the money for another. My cpu is ventilated by a liquid cooler and stays more or less at 35 degrees. The only thing i need to do is check for memory which are the same frequency not oc'ed.

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

i haven't found the time to run those test but when i play on my pc games which i play for hours everything went find on max settings. The first couple of times when i first OC'ed and played not even 2 hours of game play, i got bsods .so i increased voltage.

Kent_Diego

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2003
You computer is freezing because you are overclocking it. Monitor temperatures with Coretemp and run IntelBurn for 15 minutes. I have always been lucky with beta BIOS but if the non-beta works and the release not do not say it improves stability there is not a lot of point. Never update BIOS from Windows!