Is dual core a 32 bit or 64 bit architecture?

please tell me whether dual core is a 32 bit or 64 bit architecture?
10 answers Last reply
More about dual core architecture
  1. Supports both 32 and 64bit
  2. lp231 said:
    Supports both 32 and 64bit

Wrong.

Dual-core doesn't necessarily mean that it supports 32 AND 64 bit. There were plenty of dual-core processors that were 32-bit only (the old Core Duo series for example, before Core 2 Duo).

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/22731
  3. eshan_xxx said:
    please tell me whether dual core is a 32 bit or 64 bit architecture?

Exactly which CPU are you asking about?
  4. mavroxur said:
    Wrong.

Dual-core doesn't necessarily mean that it supports 32 AND 64 bit. There were plenty of dual-core processors that were 32-bit only (the old Core Duo series for example, before Core 2 Duo).

They are mobile chips, ultra and low power ones at that, not the ones before core 2 duo. The ones before core 2 duo were P4's which generally supported 64bit.

OP as someone else has mentioned the two things are not absolutely tied together, although generally if its new (less than 5-6yrs old) then its 64bit and if its dual core then its probably less that 6-7 years old.
  5. 13thmonkey said:
    They are mobile chips, ultra and low power ones at that, not the ones before core 2 duo. The ones before core 2 duo were P4's which generally supported 64bit.

OP as someone else has mentioned the two things are not absolutely tied together, although generally if its new (less than 5-6yrs old) then its 64bit and if its dual core then its probably less that 6-7 years old.

Wrong again. The Core Duo was released prior to the Core 2 Duo. While the Core Duo was typically restricted to mobile use (however, Acer and HP did use them in ultra small form factor PC's), they're not *all* ULV chips. And you say that P4's "generally supported" 64 bit? There was only a couple spec numbers that supported x64. The majority did NOT support 64 bit. There are 3 families of Core Duo, and only two of them are ultra low power/low voltage. The "T" series is the generic vanilla Core Duo. The "U" and "L" were the "low power" versions (9w and 15w respectively). The "T" series was a 31w TDP chip. And for the record, Yonah was released in Jan '06. Merom was July '06, and Conroe was Aug '06, so in fact, Yonah did precede Core 2 duo by several months.
  6. Quote:
    Meaning Pentium D.

All Smithfield and Presler core processors will do 64 bit.
  7. Prescotts did 64 bit, same thing with some of the older P4s that ran on a 478 pin layout. Although server chips were the first to do 64 bit i believe back when the intel Itaniums were out.
  8. mightymaxio said:
    Prescotts did 64 bit, same thing with some of the older P4s that ran on a 478 pin layout. Although server chips were the first to do 64 bit i believe back when the intel Itaniums were out.

Not all Prescotts did 64bit. Only the 5x6, 511, and 519K models did.
  9. mavroxur said:
    Wrong.

I was referring to modern day processors...
  10. Dual core ARM's are still 32bit CPU.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Dual Core