Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

I7 920, galaxy gtx 580... wow 32-37 fps... um... help?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Intel i7
  • FPS
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
May 10, 2011 7:10:23 AM

Got a new vid card yesterday, and had to sort out some problems. Long and the short is that wow running standing in town im getting a weaker fps than I got on my gtx 280. While I know 30 is still higher than you generally need... I want my bang back for my buck. Ive updated the drivers, and double checked they are the most current. I installed dx 11, tried to run 3d mark vantage but that gives me an error (system info cannot be read). Wow is on a 7200 rpm drive if that makes any difference. Wow is set to max settings... but this should eat that no problem? any thoughts? cpu is fine temp wise, and wow only pushes me to about 15% of cpu usage. Oh, 12gig ram as well (overkill). Thanks for the help.
Edit 22 inch monitor 1680x1050 res

More about : 920 galaxy gtx 580 wow fps

a c 153 U Graphics card
May 10, 2011 7:28:45 AM

DO you have the latest drivers?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2011 7:41:36 AM

uninstall all video drivers reboot, then install again the latest drivers and it should be fixed by then. And in game lower the shadows detail to medium or lower it will make a difference. you will see.
Good Luck !
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2011 7:46:22 AM

If playing online, some gaming servers will cap fps at max of 30 to prevent bandwidth spikes by a few fast systems, but, I am not sure if WOW works this way or not.

I'd try an uninstall of current detected video adapter, and then reinstall it. YOu might need to look for some driver-sweep cleaning tools.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2011 8:04:20 AM

If you play anything besides WoW, check the performance to see if you have a low fps problem across the board. If so, I suspect your PSU may not have enough juice for the 580.
m
l
May 10, 2011 8:30:27 AM

^+1
check if it is the case in all games.
m
l
May 10, 2011 8:35:28 AM

I checked rift as well, it has the same issue. I am playing in maxxed settings though, but I expected this to out do the gtx 280. Min settings RIft and wow both hit about 60 fps. max settings it drops to the high 30's. any way to test the psu to see if I need a bigger one?

After cleaning and reapplying thermal paste and reattaching the noctura fan/heatsink. core temps dropped to 40-50C under a 20% load. now, loads are spiking without any new programs running and temsp are hitting 90c? task manager still shows 20% load, but core temp program is reading 14/15/29/44 % loads on the 4 cores. and temps are getting close to tj max.... nothing on this system is oc'd
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2011 9:26:33 AM

Make and model of you PSU?
m
l
May 10, 2011 10:57:52 AM

Its a corsair tx 750 W.
I grabbed techpowerup gpu-z which is showing my card at less than 20% gpu load. Running around in rift in town on max settings, seems to push my gpu mem clock to 1000mhz, and the core clock to 772MHz. gpu temp stays in the 50-65 range with the fan at 30%. It shows that its pulling 11.86 V from my power supply. FPS is still around 30 for Rift, 40 for wow. Wow does hit 80-90 fps when I go hide in a corner in a forest.... Maybe I have unreal expectations for the card? Just expecting a 60ish+ fps during town use/high spell effect times. I know only 25 is useful, just wanted enough of a buffer to not worry about straining it.
m
l
May 10, 2011 11:57:56 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-c...

That's WoW DX11 ultra settings benchmark, I can confirm these sorts of results, something is definitely wrong.

Your PSU is fine assuming that it's operating correctly. Try the driver re-installation method detailed earlier if you haven't already. I always tend to do a complete system re-installation when I install new hardware, when I don't I tend to encounter problems of some sort before too long. Use EVGA precision to overlay your GPU usage in the upper corner of your screen in game, check that everything is being used. Also, have you managed to cap your FPS by mistake?
m
l
May 10, 2011 12:24:53 PM

Running EVGA precision shows narrow peaks of 93% usage, but mostly its under 30% usage. I cant think of how I would cap my fps for both games, and I do get high fps in non stress areas which suggests that I dont have a cap. Any other thoughts? I appreciate the ideas. I did do the clean install and up dating of the drivers. I actually did it twice to make sure I didnt screw it up the first time. 3d vantage wont run either, was hoping to see if the benchmarks would tell me something. "system info cannot be detected" or something like that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2011 1:26:16 PM

Hmm, have you overclocked your CPU?
m
l
May 10, 2011 1:43:58 PM

Nothing is overclocked on this system. Its set up to let me, and I probably will later, but for now everything is standard.
Edit
Managed to get 3d vantage running...
Here is a link to my results.
states my results are low for my hardware on screen 1, but normal on screen 2.
Not sure if this is related or a separate issue, but that result shows my ram as 533 Mhz, but I am using http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr3-pc3-12800-12gb-platinum-low-voltage-triple-channel.html which states a 1600 Mhz? Could that be related or am I missreading the vantage results?
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 10, 2011 2:53:26 PM

completely uninstall your drivers, run driver sweeper, then reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers.

Also you have to reinstall Vantage and mark11 if you have them to get them working again.
m
l
May 11, 2011 4:07:53 AM

I will try sweeping them when I get home. Just had a thought, tom's chart shows that the 280 gtx should have had close to 90 fps which I didnt have in the slightest. under strain I was getting closer to 15-20 id guess? Just tossing out thoughts incase they turn out to be linked to a common problem.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2011 10:07:45 AM

There seems to be a symptomatic problem here. Can you verify that both your CPU and GPU increase to maximum clock speeds under load?
m
l
May 11, 2011 2:40:11 PM

Tried doing a group tonight to test the spell effects for fps, things seemed okay. fps during high spell effects dropped to 25-35, other times it peaked at 80. gpu spiked to 83% for a second or two, but stayed around 45% most of the time. temp never went over 61 for the gpu.
I tried prime 95 to torture test my cpu. I hit max temp 99C on core temp 0.99.8 in about 17 seconds from an idle temp of 45C. Load did hit 100% I shut off the test as soon as it hit 99. 4 cores were 89/99/83/98 and dropped back to the 40's within a short time of turning off the test. Seems like this isnt a vcard issue but something else? getting worried lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2011 4:58:24 PM

CPU bottleneck. looks like wow only uses a single thread, thats why your CPU usage is so low. thats my thoughs.

try to OC that CPU a bit and see if you can get any more FPS.
m
l
a c 238 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 11, 2011 5:28:54 PM

People here don't play Rift or WoW, do they?

In towns, where there are lots of people, you get low FPS. The CPU will make a bigger difference in helping your FPS in town. A lot of it is related to having 50+ players standing around with you. A lot of it is related to your bandwidth keeping up with all the players around you.

If you have low FPS out in a dungeon or in the rest of the world, then you should be worried, but in town, there is a lot there to hold you back.

Rift is also very graphically intensive, and also is effected heavily by the CPU. You'll likely see large increases in FPS when in town with a CPU OC. Both games CPU bound for the most part. i.e. I gained 10 FPS in town with Rift by OCing my i7 920 from 2.67 to 3.4ghz.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2011 6:54:39 PM

cbow8 said:
Tried doing a group tonight to test the spell effects for fps, things seemed okay. fps during high spell effects dropped to 25-35, other times it peaked at 80. gpu spiked to 83% for a second or two, but stayed around 45% most of the time. temp never went over 61 for the gpu.
I tried prime 95 to torture test my cpu. I hit max temp 99C on core temp 0.99.8 in about 17 seconds from an idle temp of 45C. Load did hit 100% I shut off the test as soon as it hit 99. 4 cores were 89/99/83/98 and dropped back to the 40's within a short time of turning off the test. Seems like this isnt a vcard issue but something else? getting worried lol

That does seem a bit too high. What's your cooling setup?
m
l
May 11, 2011 11:22:38 PM

Two case fans, one is intake the other exaust. A 2 fan noctura with heatsink on the CPU. I find leaving the case open drops CPU temps by 10c. I'm sure I need more or stronger case fans but the case doesn't have room for others. It's an apevia led case. I could get a larger fan for the back panel, but the top panel opening is just 8 cm I think.
In terms of oc, is that wise considering my temps?
Wow is a multiple thread program and I've put the fix in to spread the load across 3 cores(which seems to be th max) I've done the dx 11 edit fix as well. I can understand towns dropping my frame rate but 25 man groups do too. Hit 30 fps on chogal(a boss) last night and am sure I dipped into the 20's for others.
m
l
a c 238 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 12, 2011 1:24:31 AM

cbow8 said:
Two case fans, one is intake the other exaust. A 2 fan noctura with heatsink on the CPU. I find leaving the case open drops CPU temps by 10c. I'm sure I need more or stronger case fans but the case doesn't have room for others. It's an apevia led case. I could get a larger fan for the back panel, but the top panel opening is just 8 cm I think.
In terms of oc, is that wise considering my temps?
Wow is a multiple thread program and I've put the fix in to spread the load across 3 cores(which seems to be th max) I've done the dx 11 edit fix as well. I can understand towns dropping my frame rate but 25 man groups do too. Hit 30 fps on chogal(a boss) last night and am sure I dipped into the 20's for others.

25 mans are also intensive, but you should be able to smooth things out considerably with a CPU overclock. You may need to get an aftermarket cooler before you do.
m
l
a c 238 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 12, 2011 1:41:36 AM

One more thing. I haven't read every line, so you may have covered this, but when people say they max out WoW, they almost always lie. Almost everyone who says they max it out, fail to mention they turn the shadows down a notch or 2. In a raid situation, with spells all over the place, there are a lot of light sources which really hit performance hard.
m
l
May 12, 2011 6:02:31 AM

I'll turn down the shadow. I am using an after market cooler noctua nh u9b is very similar in design( same maker). Are my temps low enough (78-80 onwow ) to oc much? I want to oc that's why I chose these piece but worried an oc will fry the damn thing.
m
l
a c 238 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 12, 2011 2:25:19 PM

cbow8 said:
I'll turn down the shadow. I am using an after market cooler noctua nh u9b is very similar in design( same maker). Are my temps low enough (78-80 onwow ) to oc much? I want to oc that's why I chose these piece but worried an oc will fry the damn thing.

I don't know much about that heat sink, but that is not good on temps. I would definitely not OC that CPU atm.

Is that OC'ed, or is that stock speeds getting those temps, and what is the speed your CPU is at currently?
m
l
May 12, 2011 2:29:06 PM

Figured out a big piece of the puzzle. The temperatures. In desperation I tried laying my case on its side when I was getting close to max temp on an install. temps dropped 40c very quickly. Seems that even though I properly reinstalled the heat sink, its so heavy that its flexing away from the cpu. making poor contact and hence disgusting temps. Im sitting at 73% load and a 60C temp, which is much more reasonable. THat leaves lots of room for overclocking and might fix the gpu issues as well. I guess id suggest a brace with the noctua that I have. Turning down the shadow to good from ultra (2 levels down) had minimal effect on fps during combat. I hit 27 again on fights. overall I have seen significant improvements based on the suggestions here. I still believe I should be getting better frames during combat, but maybe the OC will remove a bottle neck. Hesitant to close this thread incase the original issue (gpu fps) doesnt get solved with an OC.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
m
l
May 12, 2011 2:39:53 PM

cbow8 said:
Figured out a big piece of the puzzle. The temperatures. In desperation I tried laying my case on its side when I was getting close to max temp on an install. temps dropped 40c very quickly. Seems that even though I properly reinstalled the heat sink, its so heavy that its flexing away from the cpu. making poor contact and hence disgusting temps. Im sitting at 73% load and a 60C temp, which is much more reasonable. THat leaves lots of room for overclocking and might fix the gpu issues as well. I guess id suggest a brace with the noctua that I have. Turning down the shadow to good from ultra (2 levels down) had minimal effect on fps during combat. I hit 27 again on fights. overall I have seen significant improvements based on the suggestions here. I still believe I should be getting better frames during combat, but maybe the OC will remove a bottle neck. Hesitant to close this thread incase the original issue (gpu fps) doesnt get solved with an OC.
Thanks again for the suggestions.

What case do you have? Two case fans seems completely insufficient for a setup like yours. You can cool your CPU all you want, but if you are recycling hot case air, it's going to thermally kill your CPU and GPU (as you have seen).

It also sounds like your Noctua cooler has poor contact with the CPU (evidenced by turning the case on its side lowering the temps, as gravity is now pulling the cooler down on top of the CPU).

I would check the motherboard for signs of warping around the cooler mounting bracket and verify all parts of the cooler backplate are correctly installed (spacers, washers, O-rings, etc.).

Is the computer rig stuck in a desk or is it open to the room's airflow?
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 12, 2011 2:59:36 PM

Yeah, definitely that CPU cooler needs to be screwed down tighter, and also, make sure the motherboard has all the screws in to the case tightened up, especially around the CPU so that the mobo isn't flexing.
m
l
May 12, 2011 11:32:57 PM

For the cooler I figured it was either that the cooler was broken, or tightening the screws was doing nothing. Seems it was the screws. My rig is on the floor with 2 ft of clearance on each side other than the metal legs of my desk. The case was originally a 2 fan exhaust system with a funnel to pull the intake right in the side of the case directly at the CPU. Sounded like a good design until I tried installing stuff. The funnel prevented ANY cooler being installed on the CPU. So I modded and removed the funnel. A full check of the screws in the mobo would require a complete removal of my mobo. I'll check them again but I suspect I might live with it on it's side or get a brace. Case is atxa 9nw I removed the stock 500 w for my corsair. The pic suggests I should try a front mounted fan but I remember it being a problem. Not happy with the case. Def wouldn't recommend it.
m
l
May 14, 2011 8:12:35 AM

Well, on its side, the temperatures are better. Noctua doesnt seem to have any fan speed program so its set to max 1300 rpms I think. Wow seems to run okay, 30 fps in 25 man combat, 150 fps-180 fps in low stress areas. Usually overing around 100 fps for general use. I can live with all of that. However, now I am getting a stutter. every so often I get a half second pause in the game followed by a half second pause one second later (only in game as far as I can tell). I have overclocked my cpu to 3.8 ghz, but the stutter existed before the overclocking. I overclocked in case the cpu was bottlenecking the performance. vantage 3d completed successfully, and my score was about 3000 higher after the fixes you all suggested + the overclocking.
Any thoughts on the pause? Getting close to the 10 day return policy on this card, just wondering if I should go with a different brand. I like the card mostly, the 3 fans provide lots of cooling incase I choose to oc the card in a year or two, but that needs the card to last that long and work well :)  Any thoughts on the stutter? tried using dpc spike checker but its not letting me install as administrator, will keep trying.
I think the stutters started when I edited the wow config and added dx 11 support and the affinity mask multi core adjustment. those worked fine before but I had reinstalled wow so needed to do again. Thoughts?
m
l
May 15, 2011 1:24:14 AM

cbow8 said:
Well, on its side, the temperatures are better. Noctua doesnt seem to have any fan speed program so its set to max 1300 rpms I think. Wow seems to run okay, 30 fps in 25 man combat, 150 fps-180 fps in low stress areas. Usually overing around 100 fps for general use. I can live with all of that. However, now I am getting a stutter. every so often I get a half second pause in the game followed by a half second pause one second later (only in game as far as I can tell). I have overclocked my cpu to 3.8 ghz, but the stutter existed before the overclocking. I overclocked in case the cpu was bottlenecking the performance. vantage 3d completed successfully, and my score was about 3000 higher after the fixes you all suggested + the overclocking.
Any thoughts on the pause? Getting close to the 10 day return policy on this card, just wondering if I should go with a different brand. I like the card mostly, the 3 fans provide lots of cooling incase I choose to oc the card in a year or two, but that needs the card to last that long and work well :)  Any thoughts on the stutter? tried using dpc spike checker but its not letting me install as administrator, will keep trying.
I think the stutters started when I edited the wow config and added dx 11 support and the affinity mask multi core adjustment. those worked fine before but I had reinstalled wow so needed to do again. Thoughts?

Are the CPU fans plugged into the fan header on the motherboard or directly into the PSU? If plugged into the PSU, they will run at max speed all the time unless you have resisters plugged inline and then you need to use those knobs to adjust the fan speed.

FWIW, the two Yate Loon fans I have running on my Prolimatech Megahalems are plugged directly into my PSU, so they run at max speed all the time.

As far as your stuttering problem, is it happening only in WoW, or in other games as well? If only in WoW, try the repair option in the launcher or at worst, reinstall WoW completly--I highly suggest you back up any files you want to edit to enable multi-core or DX11 options.
m
l