I7 920, galaxy gtx 580... wow 32-37 fps... um... help?

cbow8

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Got a new vid card yesterday, and had to sort out some problems. Long and the short is that wow running standing in town im getting a weaker fps than I got on my gtx 280. While I know 30 is still higher than you generally need... I want my bang back for my buck. Ive updated the drivers, and double checked they are the most current. I installed dx 11, tried to run 3d mark vantage but that gives me an error (system info cannot be read). Wow is on a 7200 rpm drive if that makes any difference. Wow is set to max settings... but this should eat that no problem? any thoughts? cpu is fine temp wise, and wow only pushes me to about 15% of cpu usage. Oh, 12gig ram as well (overkill). Thanks for the help.
Edit 22 inch monitor 1680x1050 res

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
uninstall all video drivers reboot, then install again the latest drivers and it should be fixed by then. And in game lower the shadows detail to medium or lower it will make a difference. you will see.
Good Luck !

If playing online, some gaming servers will cap fps at max of 30 to prevent bandwidth spikes by a few fast systems, but, I am not sure if WOW works this way or not.

I'd try an uninstall of current detected video adapter, and then reinstall it. YOu might need to look for some driver-sweep cleaning tools.

cbow8

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I checked rift as well, it has the same issue. I am playing in maxxed settings though, but I expected this to out do the gtx 280. Min settings RIft and wow both hit about 60 fps. max settings it drops to the high 30's. any way to test the psu to see if I need a bigger one?

After cleaning and reapplying thermal paste and reattaching the noctura fan/heatsink. core temps dropped to 40-50C under a 20% load. now, loads are spiking without any new programs running and temsp are hitting 90c? task manager still shows 20% load, but core temp program is reading 14/15/29/44 % loads on the 4 cores. and temps are getting close to tj max.... nothing on this system is oc'd

cbow8

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Its a corsair tx 750 W.
I grabbed techpowerup gpu-z which is showing my card at less than 20% gpu load. Running around in rift in town on max settings, seems to push my gpu mem clock to 1000mhz, and the core clock to 772MHz. gpu temp stays in the 50-65 range with the fan at 30%. It shows that its pulling 11.86 V from my power supply. FPS is still around 30 for Rift, 40 for wow. Wow does hit 80-90 fps when I go hide in a corner in a forest.... Maybe I have unreal expectations for the card? Just expecting a 60ish+ fps during town use/high spell effect times. I know only 25 is useful, just wanted enough of a buffer to not worry about straining it.

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,2793-5.html

That's WoW DX11 ultra settings benchmark, I can confirm these sorts of results, something is definitely wrong.

Your PSU is fine assuming that it's operating correctly. Try the driver re-installation method detailed earlier if you haven't already. I always tend to do a complete system re-installation when I install new hardware, when I don't I tend to encounter problems of some sort before too long. Use EVGA precision to overlay your GPU usage in the upper corner of your screen in game, check that everything is being used. Also, have you managed to cap your FPS by mistake?

cbow8

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Running EVGA precision shows narrow peaks of 93% usage, but mostly its under 30% usage. I cant think of how I would cap my fps for both games, and I do get high fps in non stress areas which suggests that I dont have a cap. Any other thoughts? I appreciate the ideas. I did do the clean install and up dating of the drivers. I actually did it twice to make sure I didnt screw it up the first time. 3d vantage wont run either, was hoping to see if the benchmarks would tell me something. "system info cannot be detected" or something like that.

cbow8

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Nothing is overclocked on this system. Its set up to let me, and I probably will later, but for now everything is standard.
Edit
Managed to get 3d vantage running...
Here is a link to my results.
states my results are low for my hardware on screen 1, but normal on screen 2.
Not sure if this is related or a separate issue, but that result shows my ram as 533 Mhz, but I am using http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr3-pc3-12800-12gb-platinum-low-voltage-triple-channel.html which states a 1600 Mhz? Could that be related or am I missreading the vantage results?

cbow8

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I will try sweeping them when I get home. Just had a thought, tom's chart shows that the 280 gtx should have had close to 90 fps which I didnt have in the slightest. under strain I was getting closer to 15-20 id guess? Just tossing out thoughts incase they turn out to be linked to a common problem.

cbow8

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Tried doing a group tonight to test the spell effects for fps, things seemed okay. fps during high spell effects dropped to 25-35, other times it peaked at 80. gpu spiked to 83% for a second or two, but stayed around 45% most of the time. temp never went over 61 for the gpu.
I tried prime 95 to torture test my cpu. I hit max temp 99C on core temp 0.99.8 in about 17 seconds from an idle temp of 45C. Load did hit 100% I shut off the test as soon as it hit 99. 4 cores were 89/99/83/98 and dropped back to the 40's within a short time of turning off the test. Seems like this isnt a vcard issue but something else? getting worried lol

People here don't play Rift or WoW, do they?

In towns, where there are lots of people, you get low FPS. The CPU will make a bigger difference in helping your FPS in town. A lot of it is related to having 50+ players standing around with you. A lot of it is related to your bandwidth keeping up with all the players around you.

If you have low FPS out in a dungeon or in the rest of the world, then you should be worried, but in town, there is a lot there to hold you back.

Rift is also very graphically intensive, and also is effected heavily by the CPU. You'll likely see large increases in FPS when in town with a CPU OC. Both games CPU bound for the most part. i.e. I gained 10 FPS in town with Rift by OCing my i7 920 from 2.67 to 3.4ghz.

That does seem a bit too high. What's your cooling setup?

cbow8

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Two case fans, one is intake the other exaust. A 2 fan noctura with heatsink on the CPU. I find leaving the case open drops CPU temps by 10c. I'm sure I need more or stronger case fans but the case doesn't have room for others. It's an apevia led case. I could get a larger fan for the back panel, but the top panel opening is just 8 cm I think.
In terms of oc, is that wise considering my temps?
Wow is a multiple thread program and I've put the fix in to spread the load across 3 cores(which seems to be th max) I've done the dx 11 edit fix as well. I can understand towns dropping my frame rate but 25 man groups do too. Hit 30 fps on chogal(a boss) last night and am sure I dipped into the 20's for others.

25 mans are also intensive, but you should be able to smooth things out considerably with a CPU overclock. You may need to get an aftermarket cooler before you do.

One more thing. I haven't read every line, so you may have covered this, but when people say they max out WoW, they almost always lie. Almost everyone who says they max it out, fail to mention they turn the shadows down a notch or 2. In a raid situation, with spells all over the place, there are a lot of light sources which really hit performance hard.

cbow8

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I'll turn down the shadow. I am using an after market cooler noctua nh u9b is very similar in design( same maker). Are my temps low enough (78-80 onwow ) to oc much? I want to oc that's why I chose these piece but worried an oc will fry the damn thing.

I don't know much about that heat sink, but that is not good on temps. I would definitely not OC that CPU atm.

Is that OC'ed, or is that stock speeds getting those temps, and what is the speed your CPU is at currently?