Sign in with
Your question

Can't choose mobo for i5 3570k. Please help!

Last response: in Motherboards
July 11, 2012 3:37:44 AM

Hi I am having a tough time choosing which is the best motherboard for my i5 3570k and Sapphire Radeon HD 7850. I will be overclocking. Might do crossfire in the future. It won't hurt to have that option. I just want the best bang for the buck and maybe more budget-wise.

So far, my choices comes down to this:

AsRock Z77 Extreme4

Asus p8Z77-V and pro and LK

And theres the Gigabyte GA-Z77X UD3H and the UD5H

It would be nice to get the cheaper one, like the AsRock Z77 Extreme 4. That is also popular. And theres the Asus with the quality and Bios software.
Can you recommend me the best one? Thanks.

More about : choose mobo 3570k

a c 125 V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 3:44:38 AM

Two boards stand out becase of quality and features.

Asus P8Z77-LK and Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

I recommend these two boards all the time, and noone has ever regretted getting one of them.
July 11, 2012 4:29:00 AM

Get the Asus P8Z77-LK
ASUS FTW
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 4:34:27 AM

for price/performance; extreme 4 hands down.
a c 125 V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 4:56:44 AM

Anonymous said:

I think the Asrock is really only for price hunters without regard to quality. It's really not a performance board. It is pretty flimsily made.
July 11, 2012 4:59:24 AM

Anonymous said:

Agree, but will recommend ASUS P8Z77-V or P8Z77-V Pro
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 5:04:38 AM

abekl said:
I think the Asrock is really only for price hunters without regard to quality. It's really not a performance board. It is pretty flimsily made.

pardon me?
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asrock_z77_extreme...
Quote:
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is designed with a 8 + 4 Power Phase design. It features sturdy components and completely smooth power delivery to the CPU. Plus, it offers unmatched overclocking capability and enhanced performance with the lowest temperature for advanced gamers as well.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ASRock-Z77-Extre...
Quote:
The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is a motherboard targeted to the average user who wants all technologies currently available and some room for future expansion (e.g., adding a second video card), but doesn’t want to spend more money on a motherboard that has even more features that he or she won’t probably use anyway.

i don't see the work "flimsy" in either.
a c 125 V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 5:11:35 AM

The reviewers are entitled to their opinions. I'm only basing mine on some hands on work I did with several different Asrock boards not too long ago. The boards were so thin that they deflected easily and did not inspire confidence. After all. Asrock boards are so feature rich, the money for that has got to come from somewhere, and it's not the price. My take is that comes out of construction quality.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 5:19:08 AM

well first they lacked performance, now they construction, i guess not every board has that gigglebyte UD quality . . . :p 

btw, those builds you did . . any unhappy customers?

or you just want to thrash on asrock?
a c 125 V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 5:37:19 AM

No problems with them so far in the short term. And these were corporate customers, not enthusiasts, so overclocking won't be a factor. My guess is that they'll be happy. If they were pushing the hardware with overclocking though, who knows. When I get Asrock boards in hand that feels sturdy, I'll be happy to use them again.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 5:47:07 AM

well excuse me but if you actually would read the reviews you would be assured that your perceived "flimsiness" on your part has absolutely nothing to do with their performance.

so lets just stick to the facts; you think they feel flimsy and . . well thats it.
July 11, 2012 7:26:17 AM

Thanks for replies guys! Yeah I've been seeing (on this site) people saying "go with the AsRock Z77 Extreme 4". At first, I wanted to go with that, because of the price. Is the quality that bad? Like does it only last a couple months? And then I started thinking about the Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo. But is the regular Asus P8Z77-V better than the LK?

Hope you guys continue to reply back.
a c 125 V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 7:30:31 AM

"But is the regular Asus P8Z77-V better than the LK?"
They are the same build quality, but I like the feature set and port arrangement of the LK better than the V.

I think, and this is just my opinion, that the Asrock MB's are fine as long as you aren't going to be stressing the system.
July 11, 2012 7:43:42 AM

I found out that people have been successfully OC'ing their i5 3570k to 4.2ghz without raising their voltage. I might do the same or less to like 4.0ghz. I'm not gonna be hardcore with the OC. So you think the Asus p8Z77-V LK would be good for me? Or what about the AsRock mobos?
a c 125 V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 7:54:37 AM

As I said, I think the Asus and Gigabyte boards beat the Asrock boards. That's why I'm recommending the p8Z77 -V LK. You should be able to get a 4.0 overclock out of that cpu without changing voltages very easily, just by changing the CPU multiplier in the BIOS.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 7:55:39 AM

jonathanyu96 said:
I found out that people have been successfully OC'ing their i5 3570k to 4.2ghz without raising their voltage. I might do the same or less to like 4.0ghz. I'm not gonna be hardcore with the OC. So you think the Asus p8Z77-V LK would be good for me? Or what about the AsRock mobos?

if you are looking at overclocking than how many phases a board has will help regulate the voltages needed.
P8Z77-V LK
ASUS Digital Power Design :
- Industry leading 4 + 1 + 1 Phase Power Design
Z77 Extreme4
Digi Power Design, 8 + 4 Power Phase Design
but as much as anything each CPU is different, what one CPU gets won't be the same as another CPU in the same board.

and i'll give you another review
Two LGA 1155 Mainboards from ASRock Reviewed: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 and ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Quote:
That said we are proud to award ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mainboard our Recommended Buy title for offering the best combination of functionality and price among contemporary Intel Z77 Express based mainboards

a c 328 V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 8:01:59 AM

The ASRock has 8+4 power phases and that guarantee stable overclock that u want.

Its a small OC so it is no issue. I am running one PC on the ASRock mobo 24/7 @ 4.6GHz.

It just encodes all day long. Get quality cooling and quality RAM and it will go fine.

At $130 price level, this is top mobo, with same warranty like anyone else, with quality capacitors and quality new power design that makes difference in this lower budget set ups.
July 11, 2012 8:03:30 AM

Dang..deciding what mobo to get will be a coin toss...

a c 328 V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 8:06:41 AM

That's great reading that looniam just posted.

And it looks like ASRock are coming with heads up, from the test.

Just proves the point.

Great link.
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 8:08:05 AM

jonathanyu96 said:
Dang..deciding what mobo to get will be a coin toss...

For any overclock,

more power phases are probably the most important factor in stability of the system.
!