Sign in with
Your question

EAH5850 Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 10, 2011 11:29:00 AM

I've just bought a second EAH5850 DirectCU for my PC to crossfire but I've spent 2 days trying to get it to work. In the Catalyst Control Centre, it says that the second display adaptor is disabled and I have no option to enable crossfire at all. These are the things I have tried so far:

Checked system manager and both cards report to be working properly.
Reinstalled drivers and tried different versions (currently on 11.4)
Used driver cleaner in safe mode and reinstalled drivers
Re-seated the cards and blown dust
Installed the cards in different PCI-e slots
Attached one bridge and both bridges at the same time
Attached bridge(s) in a different direction
Bench marked with 3d mark 06 and 3d mark 11 with one card and both cards plugged in. The results are the same as having one card plugged in
Updated BIOS
Updated Windows

The hardware information in CCC says:

Primary Adapter
Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by AMD
Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Device ID 6899
Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 0348
Subsystem Vendor ID 1043

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x2

BIOS Version 012.020.000.005
BIOS Part Number 113-AC37600-112
BIOS Date 2010/05/28

Memory Size 3835 MB
Memory Type HyperMemory

Core Clock in MHz 725 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 1000 MHz

Disabled Adapter
Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by AMD
Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Device ID 6899
Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 0348
Subsystem Vendor ID 1043

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version 012.020.000.005
BIOS Part Number 113-AC37600-110
BIOS Date 2010/03/10

Memory Size 3835 MB
Memory Type HyperMemory

Core Clock in MHz 725 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 1000 MHz

I have installed each card on an individual basis in each PCI-e slot with the other removed, then plugged in the second card afterwards. The second card will always display "Disabled Adaptor" in the information section of CCC no matter which slot it is in. I have also unplugged the primary display, leaving the secondary display attached and booted the comptuer. The pc boots as normal which the boot screen and Windows loading screen on the monitor. However once Windows loads the screen does not alter, just staying on the loading screen. I know that Windows is loading because I can hear the hard drives ticking and the Windows startup sound plays.

The new cards says "Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x2". Why is this? I have moved this card to the second pci-e slot and it says the exact same thing as if it is in the first slot. The bench marks for both cards individual score the same, so performance does not seem to be affected. Is this what is affecting the ability to crossfire because it is too slow? How do I get it to run at 16x?

I feel like I have tried everything. I have even tried ATI CF Xtension to force crossfiring but the performance is no different in 3d mark and in games. The only thing I haven't tried is taking out the BIOS battery. I don't think it's anything to do with the BIOS because the PCI-e speed of the new card is always at x2 in both slots.

Both cards work perfectly fine individually, however I cannot seem to get them to work together in crossfire. I really hope you can help. Also, is it me or is the search function on this website not very good? I can seem to search relevant posts on here with the search function at the top of the page.

PC specs:

Intel i930 2.8ghz
2 x EAH5850 DirectCU
6GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 CL9(9-9-9-24) 1.65V
Asus P6X58D-E X58
Corsair 650W TX Series PSU
64bit Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7601 SP1 Build 7601
May 10, 2011 4:30:14 PM

To add, both GPU-Z and CPU-Z report that the card is running at x2 but is capable of running at 16x. Stats showing in GPU-Z for both cards are identical, apart from the PCI-E part..
May 10, 2011 5:06:03 PM

You might want to try resetting your CMOS incase you accidentally changed something in the BIOS.

I installed 11.4 twice, because the first time it removed the Crossfire tab. After reinstalling (with a full uninstallation and driver sweep) it worked fine... Once both cards are installed, with the bridge, you should be able to install the newest drivers (after cleaning the old ones completely) and then just enable crossfire in CCC...

I don't suppose you can take a screenshot of the CCC tab?
Related resources
May 10, 2011 6:08:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll do that in a sec then just to have it covered. I personally didn't do anything when I initially installed the card so that was the last thing to suspect.

I've reinstalled 11.2 and 11.4 several times using driver sweeper but it's never come up. I've just installed 11.5 and it's still not there either.

Just updated my chipset drivers to the latest one using auto detect on intel's website and it's still not there.

I've taken the screenshot, but how do I attach it? Do I need to upload it onto the net first? I don't have a website or anything.. Sorry, I'm not well versed on forum functions.
May 10, 2011 6:32:15 PM

Just reset the CMOS and sadly there's still no resolution to the problem
May 11, 2011 6:50:23 AM

Here's the screenshot of my CCC panel:

May 11, 2011 10:53:11 PM

Under Performance and/or Gaming should be a tab for Crossfire.

That x2 looks to me like it's just saying it can support 2 PCIe 2.0 graphics cards. Not certain.
May 11, 2011 11:44:01 PM

Thanks.

It's definitely not there:

I've done a fresh Windows 7 install and it's still giving me the exact same problems. Any other ideas?
May 12, 2011 6:09:45 PM

Definitely properly seated. They can't go in anymore than they already are and same with the bridges and power connectors. Yeah, I've just downloaded the 11.5 drivers and it's no different.

I've been digging around on google and I've found plenty of people with the same problem but barely any of them have any resolution to their problem. I have no idea if they've actually solved it or not.. it's pretty irritating!
May 12, 2011 7:41:23 PM

What are the two 5850 models you're using? I'm almost wondering if there's something wierd with the BIOSes.
May 12, 2011 11:01:20 PM

They're both the Asus EAH5850 DirectCU graphics cards. The bioses are the same. I've tried them individually in each PCIE slot again and for some reason they work in the second slot on their own, whereas before the visual on any card in the second slot would freeze on the loading screen just before Windows loads.

When I plugged each card into the other slot my BIOS would detect a change so I just load defaults and boot Windows. This didn't happen the other day. Anyway, this didn't change anything and everything is still the same and not working.

I've dug out Crysis, installed it and tested each card and when both are plugged in and bridged but results are the same. The secondary card is pretty much stone cold so this is further evidence it wasn't even used..

Strange. While checking the temperature of the second card in GPU-z, I've noticed that the clock rates are significantly lower than it should be.

Card 1 -
GPU Core Clock - 400-725mhz
GPU memory clock - 1000mhz

Card 2 -
GPU Core Clock - 157mhz
GPU memory clock - 300mhz

Is that because it's not used so clock rates are automatically lowered? Will swap the cards around tomorrow to check the cards in different slots again.
May 13, 2011 3:21:43 PM

Yeah those clocks are idle clocks. Usually 157/300 or 400/900 depending on what you're doing. 3D clocks are the max 725/1000.

I really have no idea what the problem is. Could be the motherboard, could be one of the graphics cards. You might have to get in touch with the manufacturers with this one. Right now I'd say something is screwy with the mobo.
May 13, 2011 3:26:49 PM

By the way, have you opened up your motherboard's manual?? There's a lot of info in there, it could very possibly have the solution.
May 13, 2011 3:56:39 PM

disguisedrobot said:
Definitely properly seated. They can't go in anymore than they already are and same with the bridges and power connectors. Yeah, I've just downloaded the 11.5 drivers and it's no different.

I've been digging around on google and I've found plenty of people with the same problem but barely any of them have any resolution to their problem. I have no idea if they've actually solved it or not.. it's pretty irritating!

Try downloading GPU-Z and show us the results for both cards. It's possible it's still not seated properly.

The times I've found myself not running at the proper bus interface (x1 or x2 ...) it's always been fixed by reseating the card. Even though it appeared to be perfectly installed. I've had times that I needed to blow compressed air through the slot before reseating the card. I've seen it where a card wouldn't work properly because of how I screwed it in, being slightly pushed down or up created better contact and resulted in it working properly.

I think GPU-Z might tell us something. Perhaps their is a bios setting or a bad motherboard in play.
May 13, 2011 4:02:29 PM

One last thing, this may seem obvious, but just to be sure. You need to reinstall the drivers whenever you go from a single card to a crossfire setup. That also means you will need to reinstall them after each configuration attempt, because it hasn't recognized your crossfire setup yet, and until it does, it's installing the drivers for a single card.
May 13, 2011 6:02:53 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Haha, I've been through the manual loads of times. No relevent jumpers to play with and no appropriate bios settings to jimmy either. The only thing in there is changing the "PCI Express Selector" from "Auto" to "x8 x8" or "x16 x1". These are the settings for the PCIE x16_2 slot and PCIE x16_3 slot.

Here's the GPU-z results:

The bus interface speeds is what makes me think it's something to do with the card itself because no matter with slot its in, the x2 rate always on the exact same card.

bystander, do you mean:

uninstall, driver sweep
plug one card in slot 1
install drivers
plug second card in
install drivers

or

uninstall, driver sweep
plug one card in slot 1
install drivers
uninstall, driver sweep
plug second card in
install drivers

?

if I go to device manager and view the suspect gfx card then specifying a folder and choosing update it doesn't update for obvious reason.

I've been in contact with ASUS and they just told me to reinstall windows. They're super slow with their replies..
May 13, 2011 6:05:25 PM

Oh yea, I've given the contacts a clean and squirted air down each slot but to no avail
May 13, 2011 6:19:04 PM

If it's always the same card that has the x2 bus speed, no matter which position it's in, then I'd return the card. It's definitely not working correctly.
May 14, 2011 8:24:42 PM

Hmm ok, I'll try and get it RMA'd and hope I have better luck with the next one. Needs to be sorted soon because I'm leaving the country soon.. ARG!
June 8, 2011 11:50:10 PM

Just an update, finally got the card RMA'd and bought a new card. This one shows x16 speed and crossfire is now showing on CCC.

Had some strange issues with crysis running crap but now after over a week it works at a perfectly fine FPS with all settings pumped up to max! Some slight graphical glitches but I think it's something to do with the game since there was no problem with one card running the game.

PCIE x2 speed is not sufficient enough for crossfiring. I previously read about this in another forum but the thread had no solution to it. So now I can confirm that a PCIE speed at x2 is definitely not fast enough for crossfire to show up in CCC menu to be enabled.

Problem solved and thanks to everybody who's tried to help!
!