DS: Getting GBA games to open full screen?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

Apologies in advance for the DS posting in this newsgroup, but my server
doesn't let me access the .handhelds newsgroup

On the DS, when you open a GBA game, the screen seems to 'resize' to the
GBA original screen size (i.e. it shows a black border around the edge,
rather than filling the screen).

Is there any way to open the GBA game in 'full screen' mode?
--

"I hear ma train a comin'
.... hear freedom comin"

    The GBA games are programmed based on a 'hard' screen size, not a virtual
    screen, AFAIK. This means they can count on the chest appearing at pixel
    coordinates 120,46 or whatever ...

    This also means that unless Nintendo wanted to 'break' most games, they were
    much better off leaving well enough alone, and losing the small amount of
    screen.

    Mike

    On 18 Mar 2005 10:06:21 GMT, Stimp <ren@spumco.com> wrote:

    >Apologies in advance for the DS posting in this newsgroup, but my server
    >doesn't let me access the .handhelds newsgroup
    >
    >On the DS, when you open a GBA game, the screen seems to 'resize' to the
    >GBA original screen size (i.e. it shows a black border around the edge,
    >rather than filling the screen).
    >
    >Is there any way to open the GBA game in 'full screen' mode?

    no.
    --

    gamertag: chrisflynnuk
    Live Line-up: RS3, RS3:BA, PGR2, Links04, SC:PT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3,

    "Michael Anderson" <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The GBA games are programmed based on a 'hard' screen size, not a virtual
    > screen, AFAIK. This means they can count on the chest appearing at pixel
    > coordinates 120,46 or whatever ...
    >
    > This also means that unless Nintendo wanted to 'break' most games, they
    > were much better off leaving well enough alone, and losing the small
    > amount of screen.

    How would you break the games?

    Simply maintaining an offscreen bitmap and scaling that to fit the screen in
    the same manner that the GBA did for GB/GBC games would have absolutely no
    effect on gameplay, save for the graphics looking out of proportion...

    Mind you, if the scaling is the same ratio in vertical as horizontal, then
    the proportion would be fine, and you'd just have jagged pixel distortion to
    worry about.

    Wonder if the DS could scale the screen in a more advanced manner such as
    bilinear filtering?

    D.

    Stimp wrote:
    > Apologies in advance for the DS posting in this newsgroup, but my server
    > doesn't let me access the .handhelds newsgroup
    >
    > On the DS, when you open a GBA game, the screen seems to 'resize' to the
    > GBA original screen size (i.e. it shows a black border around the edge,
    > rather than filling the screen).
    >
    > Is there any way to open the GBA game in 'full screen' mode?

    No.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Stimp wrote:
    > Apologies in advance for the DS posting in this newsgroup, but my
    > server doesn't let me access the .handhelds newsgroup
    >
    > On the DS, when you open a GBA game, the screen seems to 'resize' to
    > the GBA original screen size (i.e. it shows a black border around the
    > edge, rather than filling the screen).
    >
    > Is there any way to open the GBA game in 'full screen' mode?

    It's not actually resizing the image. The DS screens have more pixels on,
    so the GBA game is just using the same number of pixels as it would do on
    the GBA screen.

    There's no way to resize the image - it would look dire anyway.

    Tim (tm)
    --
    tim at economic-truth.co.uk Xbox Live gamertag: Xexyz
    http://www.economic-truth.co.uk - the students' economics resource

    Stimp wrote:
    > Apologies in advance for the DS posting in this newsgroup, but my
    > server doesn't let me access the .handhelds newsgroup
    >
    > On the DS, when you open a GBA game, the screen seems to 'resize' to
    > the GBA original screen size (i.e. it shows a black border around the
    > edge, rather than filling the screen).
    >
    > Is there any way to open the GBA game in 'full screen' mode?

    Basically, no.

    I found the GBA game area to be a little small to begin with, but I just got
    used to it. Nintendo could've added a resize option using the X and Y buttons if
    they wanted, but with the DS screen resolution being only marginally higher than
    the GBA's, the graphics would've looked horribly distorted.

    Paul.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 Paul Evans <uknorthernerSPAMMEANDDIEYOULOW
    > Stimp wrote:
    >> Apologies in advance for the DS posting in this newsgroup, but my
    >> server doesn't let me access the .handhelds newsgroup
    >>
    >> On the DS, when you open a GBA game, the screen seems to 'resize' to
    >> the GBA original screen size (i.e. it shows a black border around the
    >> edge, rather than filling the screen).
    >>
    >> Is there any way to open the GBA game in 'full screen' mode?
    >
    > Basically, no.
    >
    > I found the GBA game area to be a little small to begin with, but I just got
    > used to it. Nintendo could've added a resize option using the X and Y buttons if
    > they wanted, but with the DS screen resolution being only marginally higher than
    > the GBA's, the graphics would've looked horribly distorted.

    I don't think the graphics would look that bad at all... I've played a
    few GBA roms on my PC using an emulator and the games look great at
    'double size' (i.e. 200% of original screen size)

    It's unfortunate that we can't enlarge the GBA mode screen since I've
    always found the original GBA screen dimensions to be too small (I have
    to use a magnifying glass attachment to avoid eye-strain), whereas the
    slighy (but signifigantly-so) larger DS screen gives me no eyestrain
    problems whatsoever.

    Wonder will they develop a magnifying glass attachment for the DS too?
    --

    "I hear ma train a comin'
    .... hear freedom comin"

    Stimp wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 Paul Evans <uknorthernerSPAMMEANDDIEYOULOW
    >> Stimp wrote:
    >>> Apologies in advance for the DS posting in this newsgroup, but my
    >>> server doesn't let me access the .handhelds newsgroup
    >>>
    >>> On the DS, when you open a GBA game, the screen seems to 'resize' to
    >>> the GBA original screen size (i.e. it shows a black border around
    >>> the edge, rather than filling the screen).
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way to open the GBA game in 'full screen' mode?
    >>
    >> Basically, no.
    >>
    >> I found the GBA game area to be a little small to begin with, but I
    >> just got used to it. Nintendo could've added a resize option using
    >> the X and Y buttons if they wanted, but with the DS screen
    >> resolution being only marginally higher than the GBA's, the graphics
    >> would've looked horribly distorted.
    >
    > I don't think the graphics would look that bad at all... I've played a
    > few GBA roms on my PC using an emulator and the games look great at
    > 'double size' (i.e. 200% of original screen size)

    The DS screens aren't double size however, so rather than each GBA pixel
    occupying four, they would randomly occupy between 1, 2 and 4 pixels on the
    slightly higher res DS screen leading to distortion. Make a screengrab of a GBA
    game in whatever emulator you use, and resize it in PSP or photoshop to fit the
    new dimensions to see what I mean.

    The distortion could be worked around with anti-aliasing but this would just
    lead to an out-of-focus image and blurring.

    > It's unfortunate that we can't enlarge the GBA mode screen since I've
    > always found the original GBA screen dimensions to be too small (I
    > have to use a magnifying glass attachment to avoid eye-strain),
    > whereas the slighy (but signifigantly-so) larger DS screen gives me
    > no eyestrain problems whatsoever.
    >
    > Wonder will they develop a magnifying glass attachment for the DS too?

    Probably, although I imagine it would be for the top screen only, which for
    playing GBA games on would be perfect.

    Paul.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Stimp <ren@spumco.com> wrote:

    > Apologies in advance for the DS posting in this newsgroup, but my server
    > doesn't let me access the .handhelds newsgroup
    >
    > On the DS, when you open a GBA game, the screen seems to 'resize' to the
    > GBA original screen size (i.e. it shows a black border around the edge,
    > rather than filling the screen).
    >
    > Is there any way to open the GBA game in 'full screen' mode?

    No.

    Jim
    --
    Remove 'spam+' if you want me to see your e-mails.

    Video games reviews and excellence at http://www.ugvm.org.uk/
    Also: http://neverandforever.com/movabletype
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Stimp wrote:
    > Apologies in advance for the DS posting in this newsgroup, but my server
    > doesn't let me access the .handhelds newsgroup

    It's ".handheld" not ".handhelds", maybe you're looking for the wrong
    group name?

    > On the DS, when you open a GBA game, the screen seems to 'resize' to the
    > GBA original screen size (i.e. it shows a black border around the edge,
    > rather than filling the screen).
    >
    > Is there any way to open the GBA game in 'full screen' mode?

    I haven't found a way to do it :(
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 Fry <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    > Stimp wrote:
    >> Apologies in advance for the DS posting in this newsgroup, but my server
    >> doesn't let me access the .handhelds newsgroup
    >
    > It's ".handheld" not ".handhelds", maybe you're looking for the wrong
    > group name?

    nah.. server seems to block it *shrug*
    --

    "I hear ma train a comin'
    .... hear freedom comin"

    "Stimp" <ren@spumco.com> wrote in message
    > Apologies in advance for the DS posting in this newsgroup, but my server
    > doesn't let me access the .handhelds newsgroup
    >
    > On the DS, when you open a GBA game, the screen seems to 'resize' to the
    > GBA original screen size (i.e. it shows a black border around the edge,
    > rather than filling the screen).
    >
    > Is there any way to open the GBA game in 'full screen' mode?
    > --
    >
    > "I hear ma train a comin'
    > ... hear freedom comin"

    Please read Tim 'Oh Lord of NGs' post below, u are not allowed to post about
    DS games here apparently...lol:) I aint got handheld either and requesting
    it from blueyonder is a joke which he misinterpreted once again...lol:)

    skidz

    skidz
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    skidz wrote:
    > Please read Tim 'Oh Lord of NGs' post below, u are not allowed to post about
    > DS games here apparently...lol:) I aint got handheld either and requesting
    > it from blueyonder is a joke which he misinterpreted once again...lol:)

    This is Usenet. "Below" and "allowed" are sort of meaningless, for
    reasons that may become clear to you eventually.

    Starting off in the group, "news.announce.newusers" would have been a
    good thing.
    --
    Noah

Console Gaming Games Gameboy Video Video Games