Low budget system : I3 540 clarkdale OC versus A8-3850

tiboilou

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Hi,

I am planning to buy a budget micro-atx computer for my 40" lcd tv and be able to play some recent games at 720P (or 1080P if needed). I am a casual gamer but I might be more into it later.

So my combo choices are:

Choice # 1 : A75 Motherboard + A8-3850 (integrated GPU) + futur Radeon if needed.
Choice # 2 : LGA 1156 H55 Motherboard + I3 540 Clarkdale OC @ 4GHZ + HD Radeon 6870

The A8-3850 is attractive (low $) but I will have to lower the settings on hard core DX11 games.

At low settings, Will it really be noticeable on a LCD TV (720P)?
Will the A8-3850 able to provide enough performance for a futur HD radeon 6870 (not crossfire)?
Do I really need a 6870 or could I buy another cheaper model to do the job?

I am undecided. Help me please.

Thanks.

Solution

I'd say if you expect to use the same cpu and gpu with no upgrades for 4 years this isn't for you. It seems very doubtful that it will run all the newest games over the next 4 years. I'd likely give it 2.

If all you need is basic performance then get the AMD setup and upgrade the APU after 2 years. For setups like yours the APU's are almost purpose built.
The A8 will play most older games at good graphics but with newer games you will have to disable anti-aliasing for example.

The HD6870 is quite a powerful card and beyond your need IMO.

Look at HD6770. Maybe even the Sapphire Vapor-x edition.

If saving money is what you aiming for then an AMD APU is the way to go.

joe_newbuilder

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I'd say if you expect to use the same cpu and gpu with no upgrades for 4 years this isn't for you. It seems very doubtful that it will run all the newest games over the next 4 years. I'd likely give it 2.

If all you need is basic performance then get the AMD setup and upgrade the APU after 2 years. For setups like yours the APU's are almost purpose built.

Solution

Agreed. Not sure any of these parts will be good for 4 years. Not gaming anyways.

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

don't rush to buy a8 apus cause at the end of this year they are releasing trinity apus they are lot better than above two processors.

why are you choseing such bad options. If you want something decent that is upgradeable and not a dead socket get the i3 2100 and soxket 1555 motherboard, or an amd Phenom x4 and am3+ motherboard. Both are better options for gaming. for a 720p TV a 6850 would do a good job for all games, a 5770/6770 would be good enough though

joe_newbuilder

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I'm going to say the APU setup is the best way to go. You wind up saving a considerable bit of money up front on a GPU solution. You can save this money and get a graphics card when you need or upgrade the APU in a few years, which will give you a faster cpu AND gpu.

I sent the AM3 route and think the APU would have done me better, dollar per performance.

The form factor and application the A8 seems solid for casual gaming.

The Radeon HD 6550D in the A8-3580 is the current most powerful integrated graphics core. However, it is still considered to be somewhat weak for games. Overall, it's performance is about a bit worse than the desktop Radeon HD 5550 video card as can be seen in the following benchmarks:

http://pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-3850-Llano-Desktop-Processor-Review-Can-AMD-compete-Sandy-Bridge/Radeon-H

The good thing about a Llano APU is that it can do asymmetrical Crossfire with upto a Radeon HD 6670 video card. A faster card will automatically disable asymmetrical Crossfire most likely due to lower performance as a faster video card may have to wait for the integrated Radeon HD 6550D to finish it's processes before something like a Radeon HD 6750 can continue.

Actually, there is no upgrade path for Llano.

It's successor will be Trinity and it will use socket FM2, not socket FM1 which Llano uses.

tiboilou

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

That's bad! But I decided not buy any FM1 mobo/CPU. I finally choose the safe way with AM3+ with a 970 chipset. But I must say that was attractive for a while but I have been told by a few people not to take FM1 way except if I treat like a laptop.

Getting a Matx case could have save me place. Now I need to drop a ATX middle size cas in my living room. I chose to thins performance/cost over Ergonomic/cost.

joe_newbuilder

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Glad you found your solution.
I have the full size solution and have decided that my case is just part of the living room now. You got a whole lot of future updatability with the route you chose.

Though if you don't have your kit yet, the FM2 platform looks pretty good right about now.

-JNB