6 month computer suddenly not starting

sandrockcstm

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I've had a problem that cropped up out of nowhere with my less-than-a-year-old PC. I used it last night with no issues whatsoever, and this morning when I went to turn it on the fans would kick on, but it wouldn't post. Here's my specs:

Motherboard: Asus M4A77T/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE (unlocked to 4 cores)
RAM: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333
Power Supply: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power 600W
HD: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB 5400 RPM
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Cobra 92mm
2 intake fans, 1 outtake fan (120mm)

Here's the strange thing: My motherboard comes with a feature called "MemOK!" which is basically a light/button on the motherboard itself that tells you if your RAM is compatible. This morning, it flashed red for longer than the initial boot up flash, and then the computer refused to post. According to the manual, when you push the button, it "configures" your BIOS settings with "failsafe" settings that are supposed to make the RAM compatible if at all possible. When exactly it changes, I have no idea, but I gave it a try (which undid the core unlock in case you're wondering), and I got the computer to post (could get into my BiOS as well), but Windows wouldn't start.

I then tried removing one of the sticks, and the computer works just fine when I only have one stick in. Doesn't matter which stick, or which slot the stick is in, but it will not start for both of them.

I've run a Memtest86+ test on both of them, and the first one went 9 passes with 0 errors, and the second one is currently on its 3rd pass with no errors. I'm gonna let it run a bit longer, but I have a suspicion it isn't going to return any results.

Any suggestions

sandrockcstm

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Yeah, I saw that thread. i get antsy about upping the voltage, especially because crucial doesn't list a "maximum" voltage (just the standard 1.5v), and I have no real way to test the video card problem because I don't have an integrated graphics card and I don't have enough money to buy a second one to test with..