jebbo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Hi im muddled about what motherboard the p8z68-v pro gen3 or the p8z77-v... I am on quite a budget so I originally went for the z68 motherboard which is about $20 to $30 cheaper, then i saw some videos and people said that they would now go for the z77 chipset because its newer. Is it worth the extra money? Whats the Pro's and Con's?

Cheers
Tim

The Z77 is an incrimental update to the Z68. It offers a couple of improvements which may or may not be worth the extra money.

First, it has native USB 3.0 support. Most Z68 boards also have USB 3.0 but they get it from an add-in chip that varies by manufacturer.

Second, additional PCIe configurations when used with an IvyBridge processor. If you're on a budget I don't think this will make any difference to you

There may also be minor differences in the power delivery but this shouldn't matter

If you want to use an IvyBridge processor with a Z68 chipset you may have to update the firmware first.

Its running @ 4.6GHz 24/7 without any hick ups.

Great CPU.

I would stick to Z68. The Z77 have some new features, but its tied to CPU - IB.

Since u have SB, Z68 - V is great overclocker loaded with everything that u need for decent price.

jebbo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I live in Australia and Newegg dont ship outside US, The cheapest i could find was $205 (everything is really expensive compared to the US :( ) I cant wait till i can start to overclock! I currently have an AMD athlon 2 which wont OC

Oh well... thanks again!