mephistois

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Just finished plugging in all the cables and case fans and thought I was going to power up my first home built system.
When I plugged it in, before I hit the power button, my fan leds came on and the cpu fan started to rotate for a split second. Then it all shut down and I'm getting a green led for boot device on the mobo. I keep going over and over all my cables trying to figure out whats wrong but I'm not getting anywhere. This is my first experience doing my own cabling. Also, I noticed that the power supply fan doesn't come on but it does get a red led. It's a evga sr-2 and I've tried looking on evga's website for the manual but it doesn't have it listed as a product. Can anyone suggest a way to troubleshoot this problem?

Solution
Screws not reaching the the case? I do hope you placed your mobo on the mounting screws that you place on your case panel. they look like this
screws_mb_mount.jpg

If you did not then you are shorting out your motherboard which could hurt it.

mephistois

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
ASUS P8P67 Pro Intel P67 LGA1155 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz Blu
EVGA Classified SR-2 1200w Continuous Power Supply
WD Caviar 320GB SATA-3G HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G
Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4Ghz Unlocked LGA1155 CPU
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case

mephistois

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
UPDATE: I removed the mobo from case and everything started up with no problem. What in the world is causing it not to work in the case? I didn't use all the screws because some of them would not reach the case without starting to bend the mobo. Could that be the problem? I'm pretty sure I didn't over tighten anything so thats the only thing I can think of.

roald

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Screws not reaching the the case? I do hope you placed your mobo on the mounting screws that you place on your case panel. they look like this
screws_mb_mount.jpg

If you did not then you are shorting out your motherboard which could hurt it.

Solution

mephistois

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
thanks for help everyone, everything is installed and working. This was my first build so I'm really excited about it. Just going back through and getting some loose ends like cleaning up the cabling and connecting the rest of my usb.
Oh the last problem with the mobo was the case fans were causing it problems but after disconnection them all and trying again it all works great!
The bios have a lot of settings for over clocking, also something new for me, I'll be going through them tomorrow.