Workstation Video Cards Necessary?

volrathdesign

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Is a workstation video card necessary?

Currently in the process of building a computer at home and I've got all of my parts selected except for the video card.

This computer will be exclusively used for Adobe Creative Suite, 3D Studio Max, zBrush, and other various game environment programs (Hammer, UTK, CryEngine, etc).

The question is do I truly need to spend the extra $400+ on a "Workstation Graphics Card" or can I get away with spending on a hi-end 560 series gaming card.

If anyone has experience with the differences and can link some hi quality workstation cards for under $800.00 I'd greatly appreciate it.

dmtaylor

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

I would get a workstation card for driver optimization and 24/7 support which gaming card do not allow. If you have a problem With 3Ds Max call the maker of the card and they would create a driver for you to get you on your way. Workstation card have special drivers for Max, another reason to go with one is open GL support and and less clipping plane issues, many gaming cards do not support Open GL and they were not fully tested on professional applications, When I used my 8800GTS in Maya the screen turned black every time I rotated an object. So I would say go with the professional card but go with nvidia they have better performance in Max and they last longer because they you are trying to make money i n what you do.
Here is a good card that would allow you to work with complex scenes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133272

volrathdesign

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
I would get a workstation card for driver optimization and 24/7 support which gaming card do not allow. If you have a problem With 3Ds Max call the maker of the card and they would create a driver for you to get you on your way. Workstation card have special drivers for Max, another reason to go with one is open GL support and and less clipping plane issues, many gaming cards do not support Open GL and they were not fully tested on professional applications, When I used my 8800GTS in Maya the screen turned black every time I rotated an object. So I would say go with the professional card but go with nvidia they have better performance in Max and they last longer because they you are trying to make money i n what you do.
Here is a good card that would allow you to work with complex scenes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814133272

@dmtaylor

I actually went with that exact card last week after finalizing my build, so great minds think alike, but I appreciate your post and link anyways!