Sign in with
Your question

Laptop says it's router's fault for no connection?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 2, 2011 7:18:33 PM

Hi,
I have a laptop (Compaq Presario CQ62-215DX) and the wi-fi doesn't seem to work. When I try to connect to my wireless router, it says it's the router's fault and that I should turn off the router for 10 seconds then turn it back on and try to connect again. This happens practically every time I try to connect to ANY router. Well, following the instructions didn't work. My brother and sister both have laptops that work just fine while mine doesn't so I know it's not the router's fault.

Anyone had the same problem and know how to fix it?
a b D Laptop
January 3, 2011 9:30:47 PM

Are you able to see available network with your laptop? Try this: open CMD prompt and type ipconfig/all and hit enter. See if detects the wireless card and also it is getting a IP address.

If no, make sure if the drivers are properly installed. right click on My Computer, select Properties, Device Manager. Make sure there is no X or ! sign next to the Wireless network adapter line.

If laptop can see available network, you can try to change the router setup. Temporary turn off the wireless encrpytion. Try to connect. If works, put the encrpytion back (WAP2 preferred) and the password/passphrase (case sensitive). Also make sure that when testing, MAC filtering is not enabled. You can enable it or not when putting encryption back.
m
l
January 10, 2011 10:59:32 PM

Sorry for late reply.

I found that if I go close to the router, as in go in the room where it's in w/ excellent connection, my wi-fi works. Also, I found that a lot of traffic on the router can make my laptop lose it's connection. Are there any ways to fix this?
m
l
Related resources
!